Police confiscated my airsoft guns

Silent_Assassin

Are the police really this sloppy with their work? I find it hard to believe that a trained unit of officers could make (potentially according to Chef) so many errors in their line of work.

I hope the police were real, as I'm a pessimist and always favour the bad side of things. Reading this thread, I had a mental image of your SD's mate's heavies donned up in riot gear, there to come and *beep* you up.

But then again I was never one for thinking logically :)

I do appreciate your situation though mate, I'm 20 and live at home with my family. They all have issues with me keeping my airsoft equipment in the house, so I have to keep the guns and BB's stored outside in the boot of my car. Managed to compromise on the batteries and gas though...

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hurray another excuse for airsofters to slam the police for doing their!!!

how i love these.

Shall we call them facist nazi pigs this time? Or just facists. Oh i don't know im spoilt for choice.

Or *GASP* perhaps we need to sit down, shut up and realise these police are just doing what they are told and that any gripes you should have need to be placed of the policy makers.

Also this story frankly spells of bull and I think it has been BENT to the extent to make the police look bad and ths airsofter look good. Somehow i think the truth is alot diffrent. Its not that im calling the thread starter a liear, i just sure as hell don't think hes telling the truth.

Hurray another excuse for airsofters to slam the police for doing their!!!

how i love these.

Shall we call them facist nazi pigs this time? Or just facists. Oh i don't know im spoilt for choice.

Or *GASP* perhaps we need to sit down, shut up and realise these police are just doing what they are told and that any gripes you should have need to be placed of the policy makers.

Also this story frankly spells of bull and I think it has been BENT to the extent to make the police look bad and ths airsofter look good. Somehow i think the truth is alot diffrent. Its not that im calling the thread starter a liear, i just sure as hell don't think hes telling the truth.

I'm going through this with a red pen.

so throw him out. and regardin your *cough* wnkr of a step father, then surely you know enough guys with black gear and scary guns to visit him and his burly buddy at 4 in the mornin...

not that I'm saying be violent towards them, just scare them is all...

edit: i wrote this after readin the first page, didn't realise ther was 2 more pages... duh...yes i know i'm a moron.

Lord Krell, Its not about them doing their job (I assume thats what you were going put), its about doing it 'properly'. And to be honest, it isnt difficult to get it right.

First time i've ever found myself agreeing with a Copper - ex or current lol . Look at how many cases have been thrown out of court because procedure wasn't followed.

LK - Get out of the bed the wrong side today did we? This story may seem strange, but then again, have you ever had an abusive step-parent? My Ex did - and believe me, some of the *beep* that happened to her was beyond strange, and straight into surreal...

Going wildly off topic here, and my apologies for it.

Look at how many cases have been thrown out of court because procedure wasn't followed.

This is something that has annoyed me constantly. The court should not look at whether proceedure was followed correctly or not, it should be about whether the person is guilty of the crime or not. If it is found that proceedure wasnt adhered to, then the persons responsible should face some recourse for their actions of course, but it shouldnt allow a person to 'get off' a crime they have committed.

anyhows back on topic.

then you need to press charges against him and also make a complaint against the Police !

and you do NOT currently HAVE to be 18 to own an airsoft gun !

the 18 age limit for sale is currently a self imposed limit by retailers to cover themselves.

there is actually no age limit for ownership or an airsoft gun ,yet !

then you need to press charges against him and also make a complaint against the Police !

and you do NOT currently HAVE to be 18 to own an airsoft gun !

the 18 age limit for sale is currently a self imposed limit by retailers to cover themselves.

there is actually no age limit for ownership or an airsoft gun ,yet !

On the ownership bit, there won't be a restriction on the age of ownership, even after the VCR Bill goes through. an under 18 cant buy, but can be gifted a rif.

Do they even have police academies there or do they just hand out badges to whoever asks for one?

Most of the time they come free in cereal boxes...

Seriously though, I hope you work it all out Silent, alcohol here was probably the bigest problem. Don't follow the advice of others getting people to 'rough him up', because then you are just lowering yourself to that level. First of all talk to your family and try and sort it out. Then when you have come to some agreement, sort out your stuff that has been taken. At the end of the day, that should always come second to family.

If you're real dad lives close, go and stay with him for a while, and talk it out with him. He will obviously still care for you and want to see you happy. Im sure you will get better advice from him than from some of the people on this forum!

Best of luck

Tim

yep......depending on your age, and if your parents ( or legal gaurdian) denys you the right to own a legal gun then thats that, theyre gone.

airsoft i beleive ( without checking up fully ) are for 18+ but anyone around the age of 14 and above needs a responsible adult with them at all times who will take responsibility for the gun and the user.

if your under 18 and you stepdad says no..............tough luck mate, thats the law.

i hope you get this sorted out quickly.

yep......depending on your age, and if your parents ( or legal gaurdian) denys you the right to own a legal gun then thats that, theyre gone.

airsoft i beleive ( without checking up fully ) are for 18+ but anyone around the age of 14 and above needs a responsible adult with them at all times who will take responsibility for the gun and the user.

if your under 18 and you stepdad says no..............tough luck mate, thats the law.

i hope you get this sorted out quickly.

The op is 19, he said as much further down the thread

Frankly i believe that the police probably did do their job right. My comment which i know alot of people seem to disagree with, is that Airsofters as a whole seem the demonise the police.

Having heard what some airsofters have said about the police in general and having seen them doing their work first hand i find it hard to believe that they would muck up an incident like this.

What i can believe however is that an Airsofter who has had his guns confiscated within the boundries of the law would lie or bend the truth to an extent to make himself look like more of a victim that he actually is.

The "anti authority" feeling that has been created by the Airsofting community by the fight against the VCR Bill has now gone so far that people are too happy to have a go at the police over an incident that we have no proof that even occoured.

No it might be the cynic in me or perhaps ive just been lucky that every incident that me or any member of my family has ever had with the police has been conducted professionally but I just can't believe that this "story" happened as it has been put.

Sledge i agree that safe practice would be parental consent but that was not in question .

It washis legal position (should he have been under 18 ) that was in question and that is clearly that he CAN legally own under 18.

Target Practice - did you even read any of the replies in this thread before posting your dribble ? :P

I won't go into detail about what started the incident but I had an argument with my Step-dad about my new hobby. He said I had 7 days to get the guns out the house or he will have them removed. I refused so he called he mate who is a BIG F*CKER the size of a bouncer. He started to threaten violently so I called the police saying that I was being attacked (he grabbed me and threw me about).

Right this is the best bit.....

A riot van and a patrol car turn up at 8 at night with the lights flashing and I'm thinking yes I'm safe. WRONG!!! My step-dad tells the coppers what the argument was about and all they heard was GUNS. Bang! stright into the riot van I go as they tip my room upside-down (my curtains were open so I saw it all) looking for Illegal firearms. 20mins later 5 coppers walk out the house with the following:-

2 plastic shotguns from an 80's computer game

1 MP5-J that I use for airsoft

1 M92 agin for airsoft

10 inert shotgun shells with the primer drilled out

about 30 round of inert ammo in a belt again with the primer drilled out

They even took a novalty T-shirt that says "Police, lay flat on your back and spred 'em" because I would be impersonating a police officer if I wore it WTF!

They didn't arrest me but said they need a firearms inspector to conferm that there not illegal. Well the fact that the shotguns had a cable comming from them didn't give it away. I even had to show one officer how to identify an inert round!!!

If they do decide to arrest me my laywer's going to have there pants down.

And what of the guy who assulted me you ask? one copper asked him to leave because it was getting crowded in the house!!! can the police be done for wasting police time?

I find it odd that they sized your "game shotguns"

Sadly the way the police is in this country not all officers are as knowledageable of firearms as I'd like them to be. So when something is suspected to be a firearm it needs to be looked at by an AFO. TBH I'm quite shocked they moved them without them being made safe by an AFO...

I'm sorry. I must appologize to our British brethren.

You see, I thought that not being able to tell if something is a real firearm or not through a simple inspection (ie: does it have a hop-up, is it made of plastic with no moving parts other than a trigger and a cable coming out the grip) was a sign of stupidity. Apparently, I'm wrong. It is, apparently, a sign of intelligence and is laudable, especially in police officers.

Someone wake me when the temeperature drops below 451 degrees.

EDIT: Typo. Really, really bad typo.

As I said earleir the UK system of law enforcement is different to that in the US. Only a small percentage of our officers are trained to use firearms because of the small amount of gun crime here. When there is a need for an armed officer they are available.

Right then... seeing as not many people have actually contributed anything overly tangible to this thread.

Police called to a domestic incident (most calls normally are).

You say its your house, and that you called the police because of an assault (no matter how minor, all crimes must be investigated). Your Step-Father (who has MS and is in a wheelchair - has some bearing but not much) has become uppity about your kit and told this to the police.

You were bundled into the Riot van and your premises searched, yet you were not arrested.

I have got this correct so far?

Right, I give this advice based on my experience, and it may be slightly out of date because I left the police service some 2 years ago.

Firstly, have you been contacted about your initial complaint of assault? If not, you have grounds for a complaint against the police because they have not investigated your criminal complaint. Full stop.

They bundled you into the van without arresting you? I like this one. Denial of your Liberty. Without one of them physically 'arresting you' (just a quick sentence to cover their backs, they can always de-arrest you later on) they have POTENTIALLY committed an assault upon you, and committed False Imprisonment (if they detained you in the van for any period of time). Obviously some of this will come down to your demeanour towards them and what was said at the time of the incident.

They searched your house.... I assume that your name being on the tenancy agreement with the council is the sole name (and not any of your other family?)

If so, did you consent to a voluntary search of your premises? did they inform you that they were going to conduction a PACE (Police and Criminal Evidence Act) search of your premises and under what section? (most PACE searches require you to be 'under arrest' for them to be legally carried out) or was their a Magistrates Warrant to search your house? (I assume no to this last one due to the timeframe).

If no to all of these, who gave them permission to search? If not you as the owner.... hmmm well, maybe a bit of a boo boo there.

Have you also recieved a copy of the search log and a Property Other than Found (POTF) recored of the stuff that was seized? Because you should have.

I think thats about it for starters, obviously not being there at the time of the incident and not having a full recollection of events, this advice is based solely on the scant information you have provided so far, but its a general pointer for your solicitor should you need it.

As for your Step Father, if your name is on the tenancy agreement (and the only name), tell him to shove it up his backside, its your house (fo all intents and purposes), if he doesnt like it, there's the door.

I agree with the Chief. I'd call up the nick that responded and ask to speak to the duty Sgt and find out what's being done about YOUR complaint (as your the IP) and also to find out when your toys are going to be returned to you.

Complain here if no joy, if you're unhappy with police actions:

http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/

The IPCC won't get envolved at this stage, you'd need to speak to the local force's professional standards unit first.

That's wierd...

The cops searched my house just two weeks ago when I had left the door open by mistake. They found a sh*tload of airsoft guns and gear obviously. The Armed Response Unit was called in to verify that the guns were only toys and were not being modified to become dangerous. The airsoft guns and whatever else was photographed and documented, but none of it was seized. They searched EVERYTHING (suitcases tucked away even) but didn't even cause a mess.

I was very impressed by their conduct, to the point where I sat down with the officer in charge of the search and commended him on his work. I think what was key to this was that the officer in charge was well aware of airsoft. This was all in Central London by the way.

/edit - As a tip, if you don't want this to happen inform your local PD that you posess airsoft replicas and whatever else. You'll receive a far kinder reaction if/when anyone calls in about sighting guns on your property.

just my 2p worth...

A lot of the responses are giving advice on wht to do in a family situation.. cmon now.. Im sure everyone knows not to poke their nose in there.. its this guys family, his problem - let him deal with that himself.. noone outside of that household will have the slightest idea of the emotional/personal environment and therefore has no comment of actual use.

as for the police side of things... i would say the advice given by the ex copper on this thread is your most valuable IF you want to go down the route of pursuing this further

last thing I will say is this.... its your life. I understand your income is important in sustaining your household, but if it is comprimising your ability to do what you want and to live freely, then you should probably think about getting your own place, or sharing with a pal or girlfriend.... at the end of the day you have about 60 more years to live - its not much - consider whats important to you and use the time wisely...

Sledge i agree that...

0/10 for comprehension. Look again at the post you are replying to. ;)

That's wierd...

The cops searched my house just two weeks ago when I had left the door open by mistake. They found a sh*tload of airsoft guns and gear obviously. The Armed Response Unit was called in to verify that the guns were only toys and were not being modified to become dangerous. The airsoft guns and whatever else was photographed and documented, but none of it was seized.

As has already been said, there was a lot more at work in this case besides somebody with some toy guns. We have a couple of angry, bevvied-up adults, a thug and an angry teenager.

The potential for injury, reprisals and an escalation of the situation was enormous.

I suspect our hero and his guns were removed from the scene for everybody's (including his own) good.

It might well have been that, all things being equal, they could have taken away his step-father instead. Of course, arresting a wheelchair-bound person is a bit of a struggle. I wouldn't mind betting the police just felt compelled to remove one or other of the protagonists from the situation and it was easier to get the OP in the back of a panda car.

/edit - As a tip, if you don't want this to happen inform your local PD that you posess airsoft replicas and whatever else. You'll receive a far kinder reaction if/when anyone calls in about sighting guns on your property.

informing them wont help, it just means you get suspected every time there is some firearms incident near you...

and PD? are we in america now? i missed that memo... ;)

Archived