Do movies make guns more popular?

Fuser

It seems as though movies and video games more than anything else contribute to new guns becoming widely popular.  

85 members have voted

1. 1. It seems as though movies and video games more than anything else contribute to new guns becoming widely popular.

• No, new guns become gradually popular on their own. Media has nothing to do with it.
    • No, guns are only put in movies after they've become popular.
    • No, there have been plenty of guns that have been in movies that never became popular, a gun becomes popular because it is reliable and performs well. Movies have nothing to do with it.
    • Somewhat, but the media is in no way the thing that has the most power in making new weapons popular.
    • Yes, in this day and age the media is the deciding factor when it comes to making a new gun recognizable and popular.
    • What a stupid question. (Elaborate)
    • Other.

I've never liked Glocks. But I cannot to the best of my knowledge recall seeing a Glock model 19 in any movie. 17s, yes. 18s, yes. 19s? Nope.

As for the M4 (and the C8), it's a commonly used firearm throughout the Western world that has a 'commando' feel to it (as it's not a full-length M16). Most people's load-outs in airsoft fit well with it.

If my expirience at the movies recently is any indication, it would be M4s, MP5s, and 1911s or SiG Sauers. If we roll the clock back ten years, it would be CAR-15s, Uzis, and Berettas. In fact... I'm hard pressed to think of any movie hero other than Morpheus in The Matrix: Reloaded who has used a Glock. TV heros? Yeah. Movie heros? Nope.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure Tommy Lee Jones used a '17, not a '19. In any case, he never references it one way or the other. (Except as a Glock.) Which is beside the fact that Fugitive was much better than US Marshals.

As for Bad Boys: You mean people actually watched that? I saw it once, but that was just because it was the most interesting thing to do during a five hour flight.

Movies and games influence people to get guns. I wanted an airsoft MP5A5 after seeing Predator, The Rock and Die Hard. I also wanted a airsoft 1911 with a thigh holster after seeing BlackHawk Down. Go figure. :rolleyes:

And I wanted a airsoft SPAS 12 after I watched Arnold shoot it one handed in Terminator.

Plus, many people watch movies, so they see these guns on the screen and start to notice them.

personaly, ive always bought my guns based on all the different cosmetic additions to them i could think of adding, not whether its something from a film. tactical advantages also come into it (g3sg1 for support, mp5k for cqb, hi capa 5.1 :not even a real gun, for its cosmetic options).

however i intend to get one of those huge desert eagles with a 10" barrel just because i recently returned to resident evil 2 again. just wished they had as much of a kick as they had in the game (impractical and probably unrealistic).

i dont think there's anything different from choosing equipment based on a film then there is from that of a realistic military armoury (with the clothes to go with it). and not everyone wants to play realistically in a military sim type game. i enjoy playing it for fun.

p.s. did anyone actually intentionaly buy the resident evil special airsoft guns because they were in the game or because they were collector's pieces? just wondered what the whole thing about releasing them was.

I'll have to agree the matrix did make the desert eagle look extremely intimidating. Didn't make me really want one though as it seemed like I could spend the money on better things. Before I bought my real steel USP, I was doing research on it for some time and then when Collateral came out, Tom Cruise sold me on getting one. It wasn't the main deciding factor though. Besides that, the USP is hardly a shiny gun, i'd say it has somewhat of an eyesore to that box look but it performs very well being high quality German engineering. I didn't buy a gun to win a fashion show ;)

I wouldn't say movies are the specific reason people get guns, at least not the real steel ones. Most serious gun owners actually do their research on a weapon. Buying a weapon because of a movie alone is quite silly.

QFT.

At first, I was iffy about p226's, and I didn't know whether I liked them. But then when I saw American History X , even though it was only in there for like 2 seconds, it still made me want one.

A p226 in the movie? I thought it was a Ruger P series (p93 or 95) ed norton had at the beginning. I remember the fat guy having a Glock (don't know the model) however.

I'm pretty sure Tommy Lee Jones used a '17, not a '19. In any case, he never references it one way or the other. (Except as a Glock.) Which is beside the fact that Fugitive was much better than US Marshals.

As for Bad Boys: You mean people actually watched that? I saw it once, but that was just because it was the most interesting thing to do during a five hour flight.

LOL, yeah well argued mate.

A p226 in the movie? I thought it  was a Ruger P series (p93 or 95) ed norton had at the beginning. I remember the fat guy having a Glock (don't know the model) however.

It was the part when he shoots the two black guys. I'm about %90 sure that it was a P226, he points it right at the camera.

EDIT: Here's a really crappy pic:

edward-n.-American_History_.jpg

Look in the lower right. I think you can see the trades.

***WARNING, NOT PG-13***

EDIT2: I found a Clip ...but now it doe4sn't really look like a P226...kinda big...

***WARNING, NOT PG-13***

P.S. Who would have thought Edward Norton could have been so bad *albatross*?

To add my .02 cents:

I believe that the reason that we see all of these replicas that come out following movies is because its what the developers see and like, and they want to be like that. The reason that Tokyo Marui puts out the guns that it does it to satisfy Japanese consumer interest, rather than any other countries. Play over in Japan is more geared towards individual "looks" as opposed to a team-based play. You get this in the States sometimes, but its really more based around a team, that wants some sort of uniformity, etc.

Look in the lower right. I think you can see the trades.

Looks like a P228 from the shape of the trigger guard.

Play over in Japan is more geared towards individual "looks" as opposed to a team-based play.

Uniformity is boring, honestly. But in my search of JGSDF gear, I've found a multitude of Japanese team sites.

For the most part, yes. Whenever a new movie or game with a new or interesting weapon comes out you will see about a dozen or more posts about if so-and-so makes an airsoft version or how that can convert an existing replica into something. I attribute MGS and Halo for the majority of Famas sales, and Half Life 2 for the MP7. I would add that military issue for your region is probably the second-biggest factor.

Ironically for me it's the reverse. I'll watch a movie, sometimes and old one, and watch what guns pop up. I saw "Prime Cut" with Lee Marvin and made me decide to convert my old MGC S&W M76 to use JAC internals. (classic stuff BTW). I also saw "Clear and Present Danger" again recently and made me think about making an OA93 out of some spare M16 parts.

I predict anything from Halo 3 or the next big action movie will start a new wave of this.

To add to the above post about what the airsoft companies making what they like I'll add this from the days of classics. Watch a masterpiece of action movie making, "Commando" starring my states Governor. It basically set the framework for the airsoft industry in 1985, followed up with another gubernatorial favorite, "Predator". Those two movies, along with a few others of that era made up the standard airsoft catalog for the next 20 years.

I think it has a direct effect on the airsoft guns purchased and the replicas made as well. Movies and media play a huge role in other things we find "cool" and in the case of movies with guns if the movie is good, the acting is good, then the gun is good, and the person wants to buy it. I know movies like Heat and Collateral led to myself purchasing a USP and my friend's admiration of Bullet Tooth Tony led to his purchase of a Desert Eagle.

Ironically, the original poster(I believe) has an avatar of a rendition of a character from Sin City who carried a 1911. Now look at his signature: 1911A1. I dont say how someone could say it doesnt at least have some affect. Loadouts are almost always fashion or replication driven.

I think a lot of the reason for that is we need some way to decide what to buy. If you're buying a real gun, you can start by looking at what calibre you want/need, how many rounds it has to hold, how big or small you want it to be, etc. With airsoft, they pretty much all fire 6mm bbs at around 280-300 fps. And we're rarely, if ever, going to need a pistol that can be concealed, so size isn't a big issue. With so many practical considerations out of the way, a lot of the purchasing decision comes down to "does it look cool?" And a large factor in cool is having seen someone use the gun in a popular film/game/TV show.

:zorro:

Ironically, the original poster(I believe) has an avatar of a rendition of a character from Sin City who carried a 1911. Now look at his signature: 1911A1. I dont say how someone could say it doesnt at least have some affect. Loadouts are almost always fashion or replication driven.

But maybe I'd wanted a 1911 before I'd seen the movie...? :D

No, you are correct. There are too many media influences (MGS3, Sin City, BHD Pulp Fiction, and Training Day among them) to name that made me want a 1911...I should've said that earlier. However, the first time I really wanted one was after shooting a SA M1911 last summer. I guess seeing these movies since then has only made me want one more and more...

Thats understandable. As I said before most of my purchases have been based primarily on movies as well. But also because I think the USP is a very classy gun with traditional looks blended with new age controls(the mag release is set exactly where I would want it to be). This thread is actually a great idea, it helps put into perspective really how much the media has influenced mine and my pal's choices for pistols and rifles.

I had just seen Heat only a couple weeks ago, I had liked Michael Mann's directing of Collateral, and I couldnt believe the similarities between the two films. Both bad guys(De Niro and Cruise) carrying USP's, the name Vincent, etc.

I havent seen The Killer or Hard Boiled, but I want to. Have heard alot about it in this thread and from friends of mine.

I had just seen Heat only a couple weeks ago, I had liked Michael Mann's directing of Collateral, and I couldnt believe the similarities between the two films. Both bad guys(De Niro and Cruise) carrying USP's, the name Vincent, etc.

I havent seen The Killer or Hard Boiled, but I want to. Have heard alot about it in this thread and from friends of mine.

De Niro had a SIG.

:zorro:

Archived