WE Walther P38 GBB Prototype video

rusTORK

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been waiting for a all metal P38 for some time now. Every time I had a chance at getting the Maruzen, I could never get spare magazines at the same time.

I've also entertained the thought of the WE Luger. I know they are "hit or miss" but I've always wanted one as a WWII war trophy Luger was the fist real-steel pistol I ever shot.

I had a post-war P38 many years ago and it was a pretty nice shooter (with ball ammo). Wish I still had it (along with my WWII Hi-Power and WWII S&W .38 spl.)

I know it's not generally accepted as a good pistol, but I have 3 WE Hi-Powers and I've only had good luck with them (and I've shot them a lot).

Here is to hoping the WE P38 will do as well.

I've also entertained the thought of the WE Luger. I know they are "hit or miss" but I've always wanted one as a WWII war trophy Luger was the fist real-steel pistol I ever shot.

I had a post-war P38 many years ago and it was a pretty nice shooter (with ball ammo). Wish I still had it (along with my WWII Hi-Power and WWII S&W .38 spl.)

I'm very excited with the WE P38, for the same reason as you were with the Luger. It was the first real-steel pistol I ever shot. It has that sentimental value. :)

General consensus on the WE Luger is that it's pretty dire and prone to breaking right?  Shame really as the action is so unique.

Slight improvements but still a roughly one in three lemon rate so not good.

Still better than some of the older guns though. Plus the actually toggle locking design isn't the best in the real world, never mind WEs cloning attempt.

'FireKnife'

The main problem I've seen with the WE Luger is that the internals are made of pot metal. Once the trigger sear wears down, it goes slamfire full-auto until empty the instant you chamber the first round. That doesn't have anything to do with the mechanical design of the toggle-action, just poor choice of materials.

I have no personal experience with them, but I've been told that the newer WE pistols have much better metallurgy and are less prone to breakage and wear, so I'm trying to be optimistic about this P38.

I've got the impression that WE is quite improving lately, so I really hope this one turns out to be skirmishable. Speaking of their recent pistols, does anybody know what their M84 is like? I would really like to have that pistol, but I can't find any reviews and I'm especially interested in it's durability.

I've got the impression that WE is quite improving lately, so I really hope this one turns out to be skirmishable. Speaking of their recent pistols, does anybody know what their M84 is like? I would really like to have that pistol, but I can't find any reviews and I'm especially interested in it's durability.

I like it a lot, seems well built and snappy as hell... But that's purely subjective! Couldn't tell you what will wear out first though...

Sounds good, maybe I'll consider getting one then. It's just a shame that I can't find reviews of it, since durability is one of the most important things to me. Anyway, if more people think that pistol is worth it, I'll buy one.

I have one as well. And it really is very snappy and satisfying to shoot. But as I only have a couple hundred shots through it, I couldnt say much about durability yet. I can tell you that the mag feed lips break easily though, but thats hardly unique to the m84.

The we PMM is similar, Very snappy and quick cycling, with a satisfying kick.

So I would have to say that WE's designs are improving dramatically over older ones. It seems like WE make better guns when they design their own systems rather then clone others. And for the price i guess I can live with a bit less durability.

I have one as well. And it really is very snappy and satisfying to shoot. But as I only have a couple hundred shots through it, I couldnt say much about durability yet. I can tell you that the mag feed lips break easily though, but thats hardly unique to the m84.

The we PMM is similar, Very snappy and quick cycling, with a satisfying kick.

So I would have to say that WE's designs are improving dramatically over older ones. It seems like WE make better guns when they design their own systems rather then clone others. And for the price i guess I can live with a bit less durability.

Well, feed lips are cheap and can be replaced, so that isn't that much of an issue. Although I prefer a pistol being durable, I agree with what you said about the price. They are cheap and it probably won't be that bad. It's probably not like it will explode after a few thousand rounds B). I guess I'll go and look for one. Thanks for the reactions guys.

WE's products might not be perfect, but at least they create something original. Now if they made a FAMAS after the P38.........

I'm actually kind of hoping that WE starts getting into more ww2 gbbs. Since they're showing off the Thompson now, it would be awesome if they made a gbb Sten or m3 greasegun. KWA is doing a gbb mp40 (though it'll probably never be released) so there should be a decent selection soon.

I could see why some older stamped designs might take more time to make. Since there's more to it then just casting some pot metal. The dies need to be made and then whatever parts need to be welded in. In terms of real firearms its cheaper and quicker, but for AirSoft its more complicated then casting something like an m4 receiver out of zinc.

The Thompson is probably easier for we to make then a greasegun would be, since its a cast with a bit of machining.

In either case, WE could easily corner the WW2 market, since no other companies seem to have interest in much else then increasingly fancy m4's. And it seems like no one in the AirSoft world can match WE's sheer development speed

If WE can start rolling out WW2 models this year, I think I can give up my desires for that P90. They should run WW2 models this year anyways since it's the 70th anniversary. With WE speed, it'd be awesome if they could churn out at least 2-3 new guns in time for spring.

I wouldnt think that they could have 2 or 3 more models out by spring, but certainly later in the year would be possible for them, it seems.

Though I could see them sticking to things like submachineguns rather then going into rifles just for marketability. Its just unfortunate that a Sten doesn't lend itself well to a gbb design with the sideways mag.

It's probably a testament to how much volume of stock WE shifts to be able to finance this constant development.

I would hardly call directly copying a pre-existing design in a cheaper material development. WE are the perfect airsoft example of Chinese style marketing. Take one popular design that already exists at a dearer level, clone it, pay someone a pittance to make it, make it from cheap parts and sell it.

They do release some new designs and the odd interesting idea but much of there catalogue is chopped and changed bits. Plus it was a good 5-6 years of WE before they even came out with a genuinely new design, ranking up years of selling stuff at a cheap enough price point that people aren't so fussed when it breaks.

'FireKnife'

I wouldnt think that they could have 2 or 3 more models out by spring, but certainly later in the year would be possible for them, it seems.

Though I could see them sticking to things like submachineguns rather then going into rifles just for marketability. Its just unfortunate that a Sten doesn't lend itself well to a gbb design with the sideways mag.

I think the Sten is still possible. I remember something about making separate chambers or walls within the mag to help aid with release. Kind of like the walls in a lighter or like a system of canals. I can't recall it exactly but it was discussed on an earlier thread somewhere. Maybe RenegadeCow can fill us in. I think it was him who brought up the design.

Since the Greaser and the Thompson both run .45s, the internal mag components can be identical, just the outer casing needs to change to accommodate the  ridge on the back of the Thompson mag though. Should be close enough in size.

I would hardly call directly copying a pre-existing design in a cheaper material development. WE are the perfect airsoft example of Chinese style marketing. Take one popular design that already exists at a dearer level, clone it, pay someone a pittance to make it, make it from cheap parts and sell it.

They do release some new designs and the odd interesting idea but much of there catalogue is chopped and changed bits. Plus it was a good 5-6 years of WE before they even came out with a genuinely new design, ranking up years of selling stuff at a cheap enough price point that people aren't so fussed when it breaks.

'FireKnife'

Not to sound like I'm defending a company that clearly doesnt need it, But none of WE's rifles are clones of anything made by another company, and they still seem to turn them out faster then anyone else, both in different models and in sheer quantity,. And its likely that the money saved on R&D by making those clones they do make is what allows them to do that.

Also, most of their newer pistol releases have been original designs as well. The M&P was not a direct clone of an existing gun (though it was obviously based on the TM glock), The TT33 was their own design entirely, as were the M84 and PMM. And, from what we can see on the video, The p38 is also an original design.

Even their original 1911 wasnt a straight clone of anything. It may be similar to a Marui internally, but shares no commonality. More of a mashup of a marui hiCapa and original WE parts, and it predates the actual Marui 1911 if what Ive been told is true. It doesnt even assembled the same way.

Anyway, enough rant. Just saying that WE has more then enough original designs that one cant say theyre just looking to cash in on cheap clones. Companies like HFC, Bell, and KJW are much more guilty of that (In that the vast majority of KJWs designs are literally 1:1 copies or designs licensed from Tanio koba, AKA no R&D at all). And that isn't even to mention almost every AEG manufacturer that just clones a Marui gearbox and jams it in a different shell.

If the psst couple releases are any indication, they will most likely leave the slide blank. But it would be really nice if they put a Wehrmacht number code of some kind on it. Even if its just a made up number. Then it can be "proper" yet violate nobodies trademark.

It would be nice if they put at least the ac.40/41/42 code, indicating Walther manufacturing. At least that... And it will be interesting to see what type of grips they'll be coming out with, since the grip panel design varied, during WWII and after the war. Also, it would be nice if they made a WWII version and a P1 version

Not to sound like I'm defending a company that clearly doesnt need it, But none of WE's rifles are clones of anything made by another company, and they still seem to turn them out faster then anyone else, both in different models and in sheer quantity,. And its likely that the money saved on R&D by making those clones they do make is what allows them to do that.

Also, most of their newer pistol releases have been original designs as well. The M&P was not a direct clone of an existing gun (though it was obviously based on the TM glock), The TT33 was their own design entirely, as were the M84 and PMM. And, from what we can see on the video, The p38 is also an original design.

Even their original 1911 wasnt a straight clone of anything. It may be similar to a Marui internally, but shares no commonality. More of a mashup of a marui hiCapa and original WE parts, and it predates the actual Marui 1911 if what Ive been told is true. It doesnt even assembled the same way.

Anyway, enough rant. Just saying that WE has more then enough original designs that one cant say theyre just looking to cash in on cheap clones. Companies like HFC, Bell, and KJW are much more guilty of that (In that the vast majority of KJWs designs are literally 1:1 copies or designs licensed from Tanio koba, AKA no R&D at all). And that isn't even to mention almost every AEG manufacturer that just clones a Marui gearbox and jams it in a different shell.

Actually the WE M4 rifles are, if I recall, an evolution of the WA design and the AKs do share a hint of someone else I believe.

The M&P is just a new shell around the Glock system, not much more than that, the TT-33 is a direct copy of the Hudson with a few tweaks, mostly so it isn't made of weak plastic, the M84 shares a fair bit with the WA and the PMM, I will grant you is original. The P38 however I am sure will be, like the others, a tweaked Maruzen original, in fact given the Maruzen was a decent enough gun it could easily be a straight up copy with the chopped barrel option.

Hate to say it, but clone or not look at how the WE 1911 ended up. Still to this day it is about the most unreliable WE design and the worst of the 1911 designs (the Bell only being better as it is a straight Marui clone and is cheaper).

As for HFC in their short time they gave us a harder kicking Desert Eagle, the Dark Hawk which used it's own mags and released a Glock 17 before Marui did, using the 26 as the base, all before WE. KJ Works have made both the CZ-75 and the CZ P09 which are not clones of the KWA yet share similarities to the Marui setup, not being a direct clone of anything. Plus KJ gave us the first cheap and cheerful P229 and compact (not sub compact) Glock, put an adjustable Hop in the Marui design M9 first and they are built to a slightly better standard than WE yet sit at the same price point. No matter how you swing it, WE are never going to be as good as they seem. Sure they are the market dominators in the cheap market, but that doesn't make them the 'best'.

This is not a rant, more pointing out that everyone has their faults and praises, just people need to stop thinking WE are that great when you scratch away at the surface. Give them a 10/10 for taking a design that already exists and making it in a way that makes it better for the masses (ok, 9/10, case in point, Hi-Power).

As for the P38, nice to see it in a cheaper option. Still would prefer the P99 as the Maruzen had a few things that needed changing and maybe WE can be the ones to do it?

'FireKnife'

Archived