BO MTO Phantom - Magnetic AEG

PureSilver

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So yeah, it appears to have some sort of magnetically propelled piston. It's got a cable for a battery (mentioned that the power consumption is 10x less than normal aegs) and a cable for attachment to a computer or cellphone for programming.

It appears to be able to fit in whatever gun like a polar star, but the full rifles will be something like 600 to 700 euros. Which is quite a lot, but their stress test prototype lasted 3 million cycles before catastrophic failure.

Honestly, I'm very interested.

Thinking about it though, I wonder how much just the gearbox would be? I definitely don't need a full rifle and I know that BO manufacture likes to have high end externals.

Well it would be rather difficult to say the mechanism doesn't exist considering they presented at a legitimate show. Although the claims are definitely still questionable and as to how it works still seems to be pretty secretive (i only skipped through the video, i didn't see any detail on how it works other than the circuit board). Honestly if it performs as they say, they can set the price however they want.  P* are 400? And this does what that can do without the HPA line and more efficient than a standard gearbox so its basically cold fusion at this point... or alchemy or something I dunno what I'm saying except if it works the way they say it will they can charge whatever. But for me messing with a gearbox was always apart of the fun. 

But it had a barrel cold hammer forged by the company that makes Beretta barrels!

Really though, that's their only real negative mark on their legacy.

But I do think @ £700 it is expensive for the technology. I think they are charging that much because airsofters are completely oblivious to the tech.

We'll see when competing products come out.

Oh, one thing I was just thinking of: the piston stroke in this engine appears to be pretty short. I'd say about 55% of a standard AEG piston stroke (judging by the image used to talk about volumes)

They said their system makes, and I'm paraphrasing, around 110% the volume of air needed for a standard barrel (which appears to be 363mm at best). So my guess is that when building for this system, treat it like a DSG setup. Not really for a DMR setup, but can work and for a max of like a 400mm barrel.

I'm thinking that it's some kind of direct drive solenoid. Though, that's just based on the stroke length compared to the total hidden area.

The thing is, a lot of their claims are just that - we've seen a presentation with some 3D renders, and we've seen a seperate video showing a stripped down gearbox from them cycling for less than 4 seconds, which misfeeds like mad and has been chronoed, but since the video was apparently taken with a potato we don't get to see the readings.

It looks a lot like they're using some sort of solenoid as a piston driver, which is not impossible, but I'd be VERY sceptical of the proposed efficiency ratings. How are they measuring that? What 'standard' AEG are they using to provide a baseline? What power output can this thing achieve? Does it feed reliably at higher RoF?

The only thing I can take at face value is that yes, with a system that contains at most two moving parts (the nozzle and the solenoid piston), a 1,000,000 cycle before failure rate is probably reasonable.

It all seems like magic to me at this point, their 3D presentation didn't really dive into any mechanical detail, it showed a PCB with a mystery mass cylinder that does all the propelling, with the release date being so imminent, I guess they're just being cautious with the technology to get a head start on the cloners, that said, TM's gone into more detail on a bolt catch than on how this gun has on the firing mechanism in a presentation... unless all of this is the biggest build up to the most unfunny April's fools, I'm intrigued by when everything is finally revealed. 

• 2 months later...

They said that it can be programmed to shoot a different FPS for each selector position. But I believe that they had issues with the system compensating stroke speed between semi and auto and found that FPS discrepancy, then promised to fix it before release.

Something like that.

For *fruitcage*'s sake, you'd think at that price point you'd at least get a proper Keymod rail.

Additionally: No video of the actual prototypes firing past that horrendous 4 second long potato cam vid.

I'm also working on a thing that will replace AEGs, fires 1 million bbs a second, actually charges your battery when you fire it instead of draining power, and can be adjusted from 10fps to 200,000,000,001fps using a small chip implanted in your brain. The new Q hop system I've designed for it gives literally infinite range, the 200 billion rounds I've test fired already are currently flying past Saturn now.

No videos yet but seriously, guys, this will change the airsoft world.

Nice to see that 800 euros gets you some fictional trades, a clearly ACM PMAG, knock-off of the "keypad" URX4 (minus the conveniently placed QD point that's on the RS), top quality UTG stock, the worst AR15 pistol grip there is and bog standard charging handle and selectors.  Oh and the knock-off Triple Tap Brake isn't even timed anywhere close to right in some of the pictures...

I suppose the Korean AR also has fictional trades at 2.5x the cost for the limited edition (hopefully their mass production version would be the same price as this or less), but at least they spend the time to explain their bespoke technology, and showed it in action in video instead of treating us like idiots. If it is indeed what it claims to be able to do, someone's really screwed up in the marketing department to hide their technology prior to release. 

Archived