Prometheus Hard/Supercore Piston Clone

Vercingetorix

Yeah, but I've had horrible luck with anything element I've tried. King arms is usually decent.

Same here, there TBB sucked, and one of there pistons failed on me right after i installed it. I'll tell you, its not fun cleaning out small pieces of pinkish plastic out of your gearbox.

At the rate I go through Promy pistons, this should save me and a fair few others quite a it of money.

???? What in God's name are you doing to destroy prommy pistons???? I've run 30rps 400 fps setups and 500+fps dmr setups and never damaged a prommy! Wow.

It is good to see that there is going to be more comparable pistons to the Prometheus hard piston series. Hopefully they'll be just as nice in quality.

I think I pushed the AoE too far back(need to start a thread on that) and my pakayama nozzle wasn't shaved far enough, so I kept jamming= destroyed piston in under 6k bbs. That sure sucked.

When i looked at the piston when I had it open, I could see it was on its way out. It broke on saturday.... I got one jam(I was playing a big sandpit, but I wasn't using a TBB, I was still jamming <_<, no I didn't stick my barrel in the sand). The wear on the piston was such that the second tooth after the pickup was complete destroyed on one side(this was before the gun died) and the pistons directly after it were also getting destroyed on one side, with the wear progressively decreasing as one moved forward down the rack. The pickup had a strange andgle of wear on it, and certainly too much wear for a mere 6k rounds(my last prometheus piston in more or less the same setup lasted like 35-40k rounds at least). That leads me to believe I pushed the piston abck too far. I used the ARS Sorbothane(had to cut it extremely roughly myself). I added the extra black matting on top of the blue and I think that put it just a bit too far back. I should post up pictures in another thread....

???? What in God's name are you doing to destroy prommy pistons???? I've run 30rps 400 fps setups and 500+fps dmr setups and never damaged a prommy! Wow.

It is good to see that there is going to be more comparable pistons to the Prometheus hard piston series. Hopefully they'll be just as nice in quality.

I'd like to see what people are doing to destroy ELEMENT pistons too. I've only killed two ELEMENT pistons ever:

#1 died after 40K rounds at 465fps in a G3 based DMR.

#2 died after a 500 round burst at 60rps, 300fps in an MP5 based hi RoF hosegun.

I'll agree the king arms probably will be better than the element versions but the element version of the supercore is good as long as you install it right, i've installed quite a few and the main thing you have to check is that the rear of the piston doesn't catch on the rails inside the gearbox as they can sometimes catch. Don't check this and just try and cycle the gun under the power of the motor and you will wreck it quite fast, check that and set it up right and it should last as long as most other pistons.

I'd like to see what people are doing to destroy ELEMENT pistons too. I've only killed two ELEMENT pistons ever:

I killed an Element silent pistonhead after roughly 50 shots with a F2000 running a stock CA spring. What are they making them from, stale bread?!

What's so great about the Prometheus supercore pistons? I honestly just don't know.

Prometheus and super core and different brands. Essentially they're build quality (material), construction and finish is far better than the opposition. They're perfect for high FPS set-ups and will never likely crack if installed correctly. That said, the Element ones are really quite good as well... and a damn sight cheaper.

I would just like to say that the element bits I have run have held up well, save for a 1 piston and I run a lot of their goodies. Maybe I lucked out. I hear a lot of you moaning about them, but I have never had much fuss from them, so I keep buying them. My systema pistons have all broken. My one and only prometheus is going strong after several years. I guess I am just lucky. I usually fry trigger leads and fuses and I run decent FPS (350-450FPS) systems and I run then hard (all on 11.1v lipos) and they seem to hold up...then again I am the lord of maintenance and lube, so...

Are we talking about the orange element "hard" piston.

It was absolute dog poo.

I have some smashed ones downstairs.

I have smashed just about every type of piston but the prommy one, I like KA though.

No, the Orange ELEMENT pistons are *suitcase*, as AFAIK are now out of production. The old red ELEMENT pistons were brilliant, and their new clear pistons are also damn good.

I'll agree the king arms probably will be better than the element versions but the element version of the supercore is good as long as you install it right, i've installed quite a few and the main thing you have to check is that the rear of the piston doesn't catch on the rails inside the gearbox as they can sometimes catch. Don't check this and just try and cycle the gun under the power of the motor and you will wreck it quite fast, check that and set it up right and it should last as long as most other pistons.

The element orange pistons have alot of flash in between the guide rails on the sides of the piston. They dont always slide freely and require quite a bit of filing to make them work.

Once you've got them set up i havent had too big of a problem with them. Still, all in all id much prefer a higher quality piston like G&P, king arms or prometheus.

Indeed, which is why it is important to check they fun freely on the rails before trying to actually cycle the gearbox, most of the ones i installed just needed pushing backwards and forwards in the gearbox shell to wear off any of the flashing, another had to be filed down more but the gearbox shell in use was tighter than most on the rails.

Yeah, mine prometheus piston didn't crack, it merely SHREDDED the gear rack, including he metal teeth(riotSC gears :P )

Did you read the Piston Review on Airsoft Mechanics? The Prometheus failed because of the second tooth and premature engagement, did you remove it on your last install? If you adjusted the AoE and didnt remove sections of teeth that would cause them to strip. I've seen 3 prometheus pistons and none of them in their varrying set ups (High ROF, High FPS and a standard 400 FPS) have any damage whatso ever. The Prometheus Pistons are practically flawless unless they are installed incorrectly.

New piston looks interesting.

No I removed the second tooth( first one after the pickup) and around halfish of the third tooth. I think I pushed the piston back too far.

I'll take pictures of where the piston sits when I open her up and could you tell me what I am doing wrong(i.e. am i pushing it back to far?)

So every falure has been due to poor installation. Go figure. Trim your pads/washers ( sanding down washers can be done!) correct AOE and almost any piston will work well. AoE corrected stock CA did 24000 rounds @440FPS for IRENE, and still shoots fine (now down to 400 due to local limits). I know it will give out well before a Prom/Super core, but for $5-$10 out of some ones project gun, unused you can't beat them.

Has any one managed to destroy a Promy or Supercore outside of a botched instillation (bad AOE etc)?

KM

Archived