What counts as a hit?

RSM

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

^

Wow....

A hit is any contact by a bb on the part of the person that is not a large bulky peice of gear(as in being hit on a ruck from the side, it would simply go through) or the airsoft gun.

Usually though, once 1 bb is coming yourway, about 13 more are enroute so your pretty much hit everywhere on the torso area. Gear hits can be a pain because if a bb hits the right part of the gear then its makes a loud noise but with woodland and dense undergrowth sometimes the shooter is in a better spot to tell if he hit the opponent, but we honestly never have too many problems.

One hit that kind of irks me is the hit on the hat. :P I was wearing a boonie hat laying down in a ditch when the sound of an AEG firing came through the brush, where I knew the enemy was. So of course, I duck down as much as I can... And some BBs hit me on the brim of my boonie hat. I decided to call myself out, though.

One hit that kind of irks me is the hit on the hat. :P I was wearing a boonie hat laying down in a ditch when the sound of an AEG firing came through the brush, where I knew the enemy was. So of course, I duck down as much as I can... And some BBs hit me on the brim of my boonie hat. I decided to call myself out, though.

Yeah but its better to call yourself out. The worst kind of hits are the ones that some idiot with a big magazine just shoots upward at 45 degrees and layers a whole area.

i hit someone on the head today, but he was wearing a helmet so he said it doesnt count. i carried on saying that if you/ stuff youve got on you is hit, then you are hit. he kept saying no, not really having an argument against taking the hit. then a while later he said, yeh but this is a kevlar helmet and thats an AK and AK rounds dont go through kevlar.... as thats a bit contraversial (some people say it does, some dont) all i said was, if this was an AK firing 7.62, you would be out cold.

in the end, be lenient more towards taking the hit as it doesnt matter in the long run. im always wearing my ghillie so if bbs start landing around me/ quite close, i just take it anyway as most people at my sight keep firing till they hit you/ you take the hit.

the game is not about "if this was real life" the game is "airsoft". if this was real life, most kills would be out to 200 meters not 30 meters that they are in airsoft. if this was real life, my shots wouldent be effected so much by a small leaf. if this was real life, a thick bush would not be suitable cover. get my drift?

• 4 weeks later...

a hit is a hit be it in your face off you leg or off the tip of your flashhider people always complain that a shot off the tip of a boonie cap wouldnt do you any damage in real life

this is a true point but in real life M16 magazines dont have 300 shots and people dont return from the dead so its best not to split hairs

at the site i use everywhere counts as a hit which annoyed a lad who turned up in a cammo cape as he didnt want to count shots that hit his cape he ended up kicking up a fuss with the marshall and is now banned from the site

i personaly think a "hit anywhere counts" rule is the best way to go it covers all the grey area's and stops people cheating when they say "no you didnt hit me you hit my rifle" or "your shot hit the loose fabric on my ghillie suit that doesnt count" at the end of the day were airsofting to have fun and in my books having a shouting match with someone about if a hit counted or not kinda ruins it

i've been known to take myself out when i havent been hit because at the end of the day if someone sends 1000 bb's your way even if none of them hit you the bloke who fired them will be certain he hit you and wil no doubt kick up a fuss regadless off if the shot hit you

a respawn point is only 60 seconds away at the most if you run and there's more than one game in a day so there's no point in cheating just call your hit and come back in it makes it more enjoyable for everyone :D

i hit someone on the head today, but he was wearing a helmet so he said it doesnt count. i carried on saying that if you/ stuff youve got on you is hit, then you are hit. he kept saying no, not really having an argument against taking the hit. then a while later he said, yeh but this is a kevlar helmet and thats an AK and AK rounds dont go through kevlar.... as thats a bit contraversial (some people say it does, some dont) all i said was, if this was an AK firing 7.62, you would be out cold.

in the end, be lenient more towards taking the hit as it doesnt matter in the long run. im always wearing my ghillie so if bbs start landing around me/ quite close, i just take it anyway as most people at my sight keep firing till they hit you/ you take the hit.

the game is not about "if this was real life" the game is "airsoft". if this was real life, most kills would be out to 200 meters not 30 meters that they are in airsoft. if this was real life, my shots wouldent be effected so much by a small leaf. if this was real life, a thick bush would not be suitable cover. get my drift?

I thought helmets could only protect you from glancing shots, not a direct hit? or am I mistaken??

Where I play its if you're hit anywhere on the body then your dead. only part thats its not a kill is if it hits your gun. Common sense tells you that if you think you're hit, take it.

edit: you can tell when it hits you're rifle, its a very distinct ping sound

Couple of things:

1: My local site sometimes plays "Weapon hits don't count," sometimes it's "weapon hits DO count" and sometimes it's "if your weapon is hit you go to secondary."

Whichever of these rules is in play, I abide by it. Though I'll often go to secondary when my weapon is hit even when weapon hits don't count at all (though never when they are counted as hits, those are just hits as per the rules) just because I think it's more fun.

2: In a bush getting laced up... Local site rules say: if you ain't hit, you ain't hit. Ricochets don't count either.

This makes sense to me because I've been low in a bush and had a good two or three hi-caps of BBs streak clean through the bush about six inches above my head: If they're putting enough fire into the bush and they're aiming in the right direction, they SHOULD hit you. If they're not, then it's their own fault for hitting the wrong part of the bush.

Having said that, if a site has rules that say differently I will abide by them even if I do disagree.

3: On ricochets: In enclosed areas it's silly to count these as hits because you can almost always tell where the BB was originally shot from and if you do count them as hits then it takes most of the skill out of the game. In open areas where it's much more difficult to tell, I can see the argument for them counting but the issue is very rarely if ever likely to arise. Counting BBs that have clean stopped and are obviously dropping on you out of a bush as hits may give individual players a "holier than thou" ego boost, but as a site rule it's pretty ###### because it'll really irritate a lot of players.

4: Arcing fire. I tend to count any kind of direct shot as a hit, arcing or not. Part of this is because of the range limitations in airsoft: Sometimes you have to effectively "mortar" your rounds to get someone more than halfway across a field, so a lot of the fire you take in woodland will be arcing.Another part of it is that that's what the local site rules say. Having said that, when I've been hunkered well down in a bunker and rounds have dropped in on top of me I have been known to ignore it- though I have absolutely no idea whether that was arcing fire or ricochets. I am usually comfortable with my minor hypocrisies.

5: Simultaneous hits. This happens a lot in CQB: One guy goes around a corner only to come face to face with another guy. They both have their guns out, both are pointed at each other and both fire almost immediately. Both will often swear blind that they shot first. I will usually walk in this situation, but I will expect the other guy to walk as well. A shot to the chest isn't going to have stopped either of us from pulling the trigger, even if it did happen a split second before.

Note that if there's a clear gap between the shots and I shot first, by which I mean BANG! BANG! as opposed to "BA-BANG!" if that makes any sense, then I will a) not expect the other guy to walk if he shot first and B) not walk if I shot first. Otherwise you could take advantage of that rule quite horrendously.

6: Friendly fire. There's an old military proverb: "Friendly fire, isn't." I take friendly fire as hits, unless the site organiser specifically says not to (and even then, if I'm not absolutely sure it was from my own team I take the hit). Some sites have additional rules that if you shoot a member of your own team you're out too, and when that's in play I abide by it.

Within these guidelines, I usually take hits when in doubt. It's the safest route. Of course there are times when I don't notice the hit, or I'm really not paying as much attention as I should be, but in general I try hard to be as honest as I can.

On realism in the hit-taking department: A rifle bullet to most guns will at the very least wreck it, more likely causing severe injury to at the least your hands, probably your wrists and likely also (if the gun is heavily damaged and bits fly off it) the rest of your body too. You probably wouldn't be able to carry on without medical attention, and your rifle certainly wouldn't survive.

Having said that, it is recorded historical fact that people have taken horrendous damage and kept on going, for a while at least: A tail gunner in a Lancaster of 617 squadron was shot straight through the hand by a German fighter on the way back from a raid, but his tendons were intact and he retained control of it, shooting down at least one German fighter on that raid after suffering the injury.

So it's unlikely you'd be able to carry on, but if you did it would be with a different gun in your hand. Is that giving an unfair advantage to those with sidearms? Well, there's a perfectly good NBB gas pistol on the market for thirty quid, and a couple of AEPs for fifty, which isn't very much money to spend at all. Going to semi-auto on your primary would be an acceptable solution for me, but policing it would of course be the issue.

Modern military helmets won't stop a bullet (for the msot part at least). They'll stop a glancing hit that might otherwise have caused damage, and they'll stop shrapnel, but they won't stop a direct hit. The safest route here is just to count hits to the helmet as hits. I enjoy wearing a battle bowler just becasue it makes the loadout I wear more complete and because it goes through bushes better than my other hats, but if I was going for pure gaming effectiveness it'd be a biker's balaclava all the way.

Wen we play with MAA rules any hit to the body or gear is a hit and requires you to call out. A gun hit does not count, but in the words of a fellow member "Its prety damn cool to put down your aeg and use you pistol when your primary gets hit."

ricochets and gear hits count at the site i go to.

but gun shots dont.

during one game the white team had to pick up the IEDs and one guy was given a satchel to store the IEDS.

Afterwards this guy was talking about how he was lucky the shots were hitting the satchel. The majority of the red team heard him and a marshal or whatever theyre called. So next game we found this kid and gunned him down. =D

Archived