What counts as a hit?

RSM

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thing is, all this "we count this type of hit, but not that type of hit" is what leads to people saying "yeah but i hit you" and then "nah, it only hit this bit of my jacket, not that bit, so it dont count"

when a hit is taken as anything and everything, there is very little complaint

Yeah. I know how that goes as well... personally, when in doubt, I go out just to save the argument, since a new round will start up in about 10-20 minutes.

Regarding gun hits, my site has this rule:

If it's an AK, G3, or FAL, you can keep using it because a bullet to the steel receiver won't do much to disable the weapon.

If it's an ArmaLite or anything other than an AK, G3, or FAL, you have to dump it and grab your sidearm.

i dont think thats a fair rule, what if another G3 hits yours? im sure a 7.62 at a fairly close range would put the gun out of use. what if your AK is hit by someone sporting a Barrett Light 50? that would mess up any rifle

my opinion is you shouldnt start differenciating between guns, otherwise people will start arguing "yeah but he only hit my armalite's stock with one round from his MP5, in real life the gun would still work" or could even lead to arguing that if your M16 hits count but your AK's dont count because in real life it wouldnt be damaged, what about my replica level 3 SAPI plates? does that mean i can take a few rounds in the chest and carry on playing?

Regarding gun hits, my site has this rule:

If it's an AK, G3, or FAL, you can keep using it because a bullet to the steel receiver won't do much to disable the weapon.

If it's an ArmaLite or anything other than an AK, G3, or FAL, you have to dump it and grab your sidearm.

That's just rediculous.

hmmm as real steel ak bodies are apparently so good at deflecting bullets the army should buy used ones en mass and make body armour out of them, make soldiers like robocop.

infact Naked Singularity, i put it to you, that your site leaders are playing a practical joke on you

In the spirit of the game I tend to call anything that may possibly be a hit, bb's that may have been caught up in cover above me and then fallen on me, bb's that have taken a parabolic (think that's the right word) flight path and drop out the sky etc. It just makes for a happier day all round. It's not as if a bb hit is the end of everything and it does generate a reputation for being an honest player.

If a round still has enough energy for you feel it or hear it as it strikes your clothing or body or kit then it's a hit. Wether it be direct, ricochet or act of god!.

Take the hit move on have a cuppa and a mag up.

2 of the sites I regularly play use the "Gun Hit" ruling.

If your weapon is hit then you call "GUN HIT!" and switch to a secondary weapon. This I use even on sites where gun hits don't count... Calling the gun hit let's your opponent know that you have been hit ... just not where it counts.

It's a game of honour.

Any bb that hits you or any item of your equipment is a hit, be that webbing or ghille material. If you THINK you are hit, then take it.

Some sites do not count weapon hits :huh: and some allow you to change to a secondary weapon if the first is hit.

It is generally accepted that ricochets are not hits but this only applies if you can positively identify it as such, i.e. you see the bb's bounce off a tree. In some cases it is useful to have another player or better yet a marshall near by to call this.

If you are hiding in a bush & it gets raked by 100rds then it's a hit even if none of the bb's directly hits you. A handful of rounds hitting soft concealment might be excusable though.

doing that where the rule isnt in play is likely to attract cheat calls...

Nope I've had a fair few people come up to me to thank me for my honesty in calling a gun hit on sites where the rule isn't in force. They knew they had hit me so me letting them know it was a gun hit stopped them crying cheat.

Nope I've had a fair few people come up to me to thank me for my honesty in calling a gun hit on sites where the rule isn't in force. They knew they had hit me so me letting them know it was a gun hit stopped them crying cheat.

But did you leave the field?

i dont think thats a fair rule, what if another G3 hits yours? im sure a 7.62 at a fairly close range would put the gun out of use. what if your AK is hit by someone sporting a Barrett Light 50? that would mess up any rifle

my opinion is you shouldnt start differenciating between guns, otherwise people will start arguing "yeah but he only hit my armalite's stock with one round from his MP5, in real life the gun would still work" or could even lead to arguing that if your M16 hits count but your AK's dont count because in real life it wouldnt be damaged, what about my replica level 3 SAPI plates? does that mean i can take a few rounds in the chest and carry on playing?

That's just how the rule is. Since not many people use anything other than ArmaLites (sadly), we effectively have a gun hit rule.

And sometimes guns take real damage. A teammate's G3A3 (old TM model) took a burst and the selector switch was blown apart. Shattered red-dot sights are pretty common. I once saw someone lose a magazine, too - he was shot at while reloading. The mag was hit multiple times and it flew out of his hand and into a crevice.

It had more to do with surprise than it had to do with actual damage. He was shot at when he thought he was safe. And face it, the sound of multiple rounds (fired from about 50 feet away) clanging off an M16 mag is pretty damned loud. He was ###### after trying fruitlessly for ten minutes to retrieve his mag. That's $40 lost right then and there.

• 3 weeks later...

Our method of play is that if anything you are wearing (ie clothing and all gear) and your weapon are hit you are out. Personally I feel gun hits (hits to a weapon only render it useless for the rest of the scenario) gives a handicap to players who can afford a secondary weapon and penalizes those who cannot afford one. Plus this prevents those stubborn campers from hiding behind a wall and sticking their gun out of a tiny gun port and hosing everyone without concern

I'm not too noble. But if I'm having a good day and have just anhialated a column of troops, I might even feel kind enough to count a richochet. But if I've been hacked off with the sheer number of spray and pray noobs who ignore everything but a gun barrel rammed down their throat then I will ignore the one or two very minor ones, especially if I'm sure the shooter just ignored his hits. I also ignore any rounds that really arcced. Bacially, if I'm behind solid cover I ignore anything unless I was actually visible to the shooter.

At electro' we play that gun hits and ricochets don’t count. Everything else does. These rules have built out of the extreme closeness of the site and the fact that if ricochets did count no one would make it out of the spawn.

I'm not too noble. But if I'm having a good day and have just anhialated a column of troops, I might even feel kind enough to count a richochet. But if I've been hacked off with the sheer number of spray and pray noobs who ignore everything but a gun barrel rammed down their throat then I will ignore the one or two very minor ones, especially if I'm sure the shooter just ignored his hits.  I also ignore any rounds that really arcced. Bacially, if I'm behind solid cover I ignore anything unless I was actually visible to the shooter.

Hatman although I can see where you are coming from but I believe that as soon as you start tit-for-tat ignoring of hit's you are asking for problems. Lets be honest here how often can we be one hundred percent certain a bb hit a player?

Even if a bb finds it's mark the target may genuinely not have noticed, I am sure it's happen to all of us with the best of intentions.

Your point about heavily arcing bb's is sound but these aren't (luckily) real guns & the ballistic properties are very different. I have been hit when behind solid cover before now, maybe it was a rebound, maybe a wind deflection or possibly I've been hit by a shooter from a different direction I didn't see.

I therefore feel I have to take the hit as I can't be sure it wasn't a "good" hit, as I've said before it's a game of honour. Once you start on the "I'm not taking that hit because that guy ignored his" where do you draw the line? If another player then sees you not take the hits they'll peg you as a cheat, they don't know you've been provoked into it & it's irrelevant anyway. :waggle:

To win by cheating or not following the spirit of the game isn't, in my opinion, a victory worth having. At the end of the day I know when I've played well, if the other team beat me fairly good luck to them. If it was real combat you bet I'd be using every underhanded trick to get an edge, but it's just a game.

At electro' we play that gun hits and ricochets don’t count.  Everything else does.  These rules have built out of the extreme closeness of the site and the fact that if ricochets did count no one would make it out of the spawn.

There's always specific site dynamics to take into a count. I have never played at a site where ricochets were counted as hits. That said I think some peoples idea of what constitutes a ricochet is very optimistic at best. ;)

I dont necessarily agree with what I do as such. But, when extremely frustrated I ignore the occasional minor hit (let me just re-stress this, hits when I am not visble to the shooter) because I go to have fun. While I won't do my best to have fun at someone else's expense, being in the deadzone or walking about with no action at all going on for most of the game really gives me a bad attitude to 'sportsmanship' when I haven't seen one example of it the whole day.

The rest of the time, I'm one of the most honest there.

Archived