What counts as a hit?

RSM

Right, had a bit of a think on this seeing someone post about shooting a person's boonie off their head and that person carrying on and a tale from one of my friends who was called by another player for not taking his hit in game.

Basically, a hit to me is defined by:

"An instance when the BB clearly strikes your person, webbing or weapon (if applicable. A hit may also be defined by that if the BB were a bullet, it would cause harm to you"

So as you can see by my bold if a BB skims me then its as much a hit as getting one in the glasses, I would also extend this to things such as cap brims getting hit as I imagine in real life a round passing that close would have some unpleasant effects but thats all I want to say on that particular matter

However, the incident with my friend was that he was wearing an S'95 smock/combat jacket in summer, he unzipped it to cool off during playing and then at one point the loose material was hanging in plain view although nothing of his body part was behind it, an opponent player shot at this hanging piece of material which my friend didn't notice as he couldn't feel anything as nothing was near it to feel it and given the noise at the time he wouldn't have heard the pattering of BBs and there was more than just the opponents gearbox going at the time. This led to "I shot you, no you didn't" shens. In short this came about from part of his clothing that was hanging off his body hanging out of cover while he was firmly in it.

What do you make of this? I don't think this is exactly cheating/tefloning on the part of my friend (Its easy to call bias but I'm trying not to be) but thats based on my own definition of being hit, for example I have had snipers ping BBs across the drag handle off my vest (as in from left to right) and even though I normally have a number 2 hair length I have ducked and felt BBs skim my hair and I've called that while others (Admittedly a newbie) have urged me not to so I think its fair to say I am an honest enough player with regards to bring hit to say that maybe when you go to shoot at someone make sure that you are in a position where there can be no ambiguity over what you are hitting or use deliberate (ie slow and aimed) fire in 1-2 round bursts to try and pressure that person into breaking cover instead of taking a cheap shot that backfires on you.

I've not slept in the last 48 hours so forgive the rambling but I would be interested in hearing your views/ideas/opinions

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I imagine in real life a round passing that close would have some unpleasant effects but thats all I want to say on that particular matter"

It would be like a car going close to you, just a blast of air :-).

I've jsut always played that if i feel/know any part of my clothing or me was hit i call an out. I just play for fun and it only takes about 15 minutes at the msot for a new game to start, and i can use that time to relaod and such so i've never much worried about it.

Well, I don't fancy having real rifle calibres passing within any distance of my head, never mind a few inches that is a boonie brim :P

What real bullets do is not for discussion this forum so I'm trying to keep any discussion on it to an absolute minimum/avoid it completely

We play for fun too but (without meaning to be biased) I think that shooting a loose piece of material hanging out of the side of a bush (I'm talking half a pillow case size roughly) that the wearer has no way of telling it has been hit is basically lazy on the part of the shooter when there are more than enough options to use to make sure your BB solidly connects with a person so they have no doubt they have been hit

At our regular site, anything counts as a hit apart from, as far as I am aware, ricochets. This is due to the abnormal amount of bounce (compared to real bullets) that a bb has in a confined area. So if you are hiding up in the sniper tower, people can't frag you just by spraying into the ceiling of the tower from an acute angle below whilst you are ducked down, hoping that some will bounce back onto your head. On the other side of course you are a target for everyone on the hill in front so you spend most of your time with your head down in there anyway!

I just try to be as honest as poss and most of my friends do. I've had a bb pass through my hair without hitting my skull and taken it as a hit (given as if he could do that, then the next shot could very likely hit me in the face) Mind you I've known someone to feel one skim through their hair and not take it, and I can't say I totally disagree with it as it wasn't a direct hit. But something coming that close to your head is enough for me to consider surrendering anyway depending on the proximity of the foe.

If its hits you or anything you're wearing or carrying, take it. No arguements then :)

The idea of "any instance where if the BB was a real bullet it'd ruin your day" pretty much sums it up for me.

Any time I get hit on my clothing or webbing I'll usually call myself out simply because I don't know what direction the BB came from so I can't guess what direction it was travelling in.

I must admit, if I poked my head around the side of a barrier and a BB hit the brim of my hat I'd probably play on seeing as how it'd be obvious that the BB had hit the brim of my hat rather than hitting me.

It's a 1 in a million shot though. Far more likely that I'd be hit right between the eyes or in the ear. That's what usually happens.

One of my friends has long hair and at the end of the day, shook it and a load of bbs fell out. Apparently, didn't feel any of them. Weird eh?

I'd say that a hit anywhere, apart from the weapon is you out. I had a bb hit the ejction port of my m16 once, making it spring open. Looking back i should have probably walked - a hit to your weapon will definetly stop it working and probably injure you, in real life. But we werent playing weapon hits.

One thing i've thought about is bergens. Say you're playing a long milsim, such as Town Assault and you have to carry your gear with you. If you ditch your bergen and fire over it, is the bergen "cover?"

in night games, or when its cold, i frequently play in my WWII russian rep[roduction trench coat. its thick and its woolen, but i generally feel hits. when it gets too hot (as you do, running around with 4kg's of pure woll covering your body) i undo it, and it sort of billows around as i move. generally its not too bad, most shots hit my legs, arms or torso, but occasionally they hit the excess fabric following behind me. I can't noticed these, but if someone has a word with me, or gets a bit uppity (as people do with that much adrenaline in their bloodstream) i'll happily take the coat off and skirmish without it.

The site i play at counts ricochets as hits, so pretty much, if anything hits you anywhere, its a hit - gun, webbing, shoes, hair, clothes, etc. anything counts as a hit. where i play the respawns are usually fairly quick, and so taking a hit doesnt affect gameplay that much at all, even if you're not sure you were or not. Quite often people point out hits to other people who've just not noticed, and they'll be fine with it. :)

"I imagine in real life a round passing that close would have some unpleasant effects but thats all I want to say on that particular matter"

It would be like a car going close to you, just a blast of air :-).

I dunno about that; I think I'd need fresh underwear.

Anywhere where the BB can hit you is a hit. Our group doesn't count weapon hits as hits, hell I've had BBs bounce off my sights! Also, one of our members wears a helmet which entitles him to ignore one hit per round. House rules :D

Also, thick clothes can be a problem. One of our members who shall not be named *cough* horza *cough* decided to wear a thick leather waistcoat (which gave him an "angry farmer" look) which meant he couldn't feel the hits, therefore not taking them, 'cos he didn't notice.

surley you sould hear a bb on a leather waist coat?

i take all hits wether in real life it would be real or not. for instance i was hiding in a ditch as someones AEG spray hit a tree above me, bb's rained down me which wouldnt have happened if they were actual bullets, but i took the hit anyway. i may as well of done as any attempt to leave the ditch would have been a more painful exit to the game

For something like the above I would have thought it best to take the hit, its easier to take than the 'your a cheat' brigade striking up their pipes and drums section and marching around the site doing their public information routine.....

At the end of the day you just really have to compromise and accept that in reality that BB that arced across the field before loosing strength and falling on you would not have 'counted' if it was the real deal, but then how many times have you been wandering about, feel / hear something like a hit, not been sure so look around and see no-one, then then carry on! It does happen and I think most of us have given ourselves the benefit of the doubt every now and then. Swings and round-a-bouts comes to mind.

Just my thoughts on the subject

Oh, and Bengali - been there too m8y, sometimes calling hit is less painful then attempting to outrun multiple aegs! :P

Ryan

I feel that if there's any doubt it's best to take the hit as the site I play at almost always has multiple regen and it's only a couple of minutes walk to the respawn point.

Ricochets count? not sure I'd like that rule but it could be amusing to clear rooms by hosing the door like using the sci-fi pistol in Time Splitters

Although I normally play at sites that observe a gun-hits-don't-count system, I have to say that the best system is probably that any hit, on any part of the body, clothing, hair, or gun, and ricochets, should count.

A hit on a gun in real life would almost certainly break the gun, as LJ said, and ricochets will kill just as easily as direct shots. As for clothing/hair hits, it seems unfair if you are hit on an extended piece of clothing or in your long hair, and is lazy on the part of the shooter, but disallowing these shots would cause too much confusion and too many arguments, due to gray areas etc. So for simplicity and clarity's sake, the basic 'one hit anywhere and you're out' system is the best.

airsoft rules and real life physics dont fit

at LFU, if any part of you or your kit is hit, "includeing your little gay droplegs" (site owner - yorkshire git) weapons dont count, but imagine if it hit your mag pouch without diretly hitting you, it could set off the rounds or other munitions...

play the game, dont split hairs....

I think we are the only site to play "weapon out " rule. If your weapon gets hit ,it is useless and you must either use another or regen/leave game.

This gives a little more realism and also means sidearms are more important in game as rifles often get hit.

A hit anywhere on you or your belt kit/vest etc should count as a kill (except ricochets) if you are unsure,call it anyway :)

How do you know it was a ricochet?

this is precisely why at the site i go to ANY hit is a hit. gun, shoe, clothing, ricochet or not. if a bb hits you, you're 'hit'. i once got a bb fall out of a tree and land on my shoulder - im talking actual vertical movement from straight above me, and i had to take it. a hits a hit.

chances are it was just somebody spraying the air trying to get extra range, but it could have been a ricochet.

My site doesnt count ricochets. But if I get hit by one and it stings/thwacks as hard as a direct shot, Ill take it.

Im paranoid about not taking hits - I often take non hits because I like to be sure.

---

On gun hits...I like to pull my backup unless I know fer sure it hit the scope or something ineffectual. If I dont have a backup, change mag so simulate changing to a backup or just eject the mag and put it back in if its a hicap.

at our site we talked about pulling backups if your weapon is hit. but we try to be realistic with hits.

if a real bullet hits your gun, you're not going to be in much position to carry on shooting i dont think. especially if you're aiming at the tiem its hit. so while it would be nice to think "its ok, ill pull my sidearm", chances are in real life bits of your gun will be embedded in your body.

and i'd say that was a hit.

I take hits on hats, webbing, clothing, and if my gun is in front of me. If I behind a tree and my barrel sticks out and a bb pings of, then I don't take it. If I'm running with the run in front of me and it hits, then I take that. At the site I play at ricochets don't count, but alot of times its hard to tell so I take them anyway.

Typically, we play fingers don't count, and if the bb has hit so little of the gear/clothes that it flies past, we don't count it. Weapons and ricochet's don't count either. Otherwise, if the bb hits enough cloth or person that it stops and drops to the ground, you're out.

thing is, all this "we count this type of hit, but not that type of hit" is what leads to people saying "yeah but i hit you" and then "nah, it only hit this bit of my jacket, not that bit, so it dont count"

when a hit is taken as anything and everything, there is very little complaint

Archived