ICS L85 to be released this fall (Exclusive Images

FarEast

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys,

I have just finished speaking with the team at ICS and they are seriously interested in making changes to make this THE best L85 on the market.

Now just spamming it up in't going to help, constructive comments with images to back it up would really help them out. This is your chance to help make this perfect!

Perhaps having a changeable 19mm dovetail rail and a 20mm rail included in the package would stop some complaints although obviously this would increase the cost.

I remember people moaning about the star and G&G L85's as you couldn't fit optics other than a susat but now ICS have attempted to offer an alternative they are being criticized for it.

Now that's a good idea!

Clearly the biggest gripe people have is the hand guard, the wideness of it. Just make it the real size and sell it with a purpose built battery, personal preference being the A2 hand guard, and I promise them now, I will buy one.

I was also under the impression that on the real steel A2 handguard, the sling mounts were much tighter to the body... on this one, they seem to be mounted almost an inch outwards! This makes the gun look... strange

That top picture provided also makes the handguard look VERY angular and far too long.

EDIT: The ICS barrel is also wrong. It supposed to have that lump in it... God knows what its for, but have a look see at any picture, and they'll know what I mean.

Out of interest, why have they chosen to get rid of their ( IMHO) fantastic M4 hop system and replace it with the TM style one? Can they not just stick their M4 hop units in this?

EDIT 2: Why no split gearbox on this? It's my main reason for buying ICS Armalites!

Markings and ability to stick the UGL on it would be nice too! And make sure they have the correct flash hider!

And lastly... SOFT cheek pad? I can't say I remember it being soft at all! It's hard plastic!

I guess basically what people want out of the Sa80, from ANY manufacturer is realism. STAR achieved this quite well. However, the crippling price and sometimes dodgy internals put people off. G&Gs horrible rep and well meaning but poorly designed blow back system stopped them.

ICS on the other hand aren't exactly reknowned for making bad kit. So do us proud, and give us a good, realistic, but well priced and well made replica

I'd also like to say thanks a hell of a lot to ICS for actually wanting to listen. That is pure and simple, phenomenal. Also, thanks to Far East for calling them on our behalf :)

I agree with the 19mm dovetail rail being an extra for those of us who don't want a pictanny rail.

Fix the change lever length (if anyone has access to an L85 real or replica with the correct dimensions could they provide some measurements?)

I would say that could they also make the barrel a one piece unit including the flashider like the real thing

Sort out whats going on with the hold open catch, just look at any other replica to see where it should be.

Make the handguard the correct dimensions, as has been said its wide enough as it is at real dimensions. But if they are going to use the new A2 handguard, can they at least make sure that you are able to change the thing out and drop a an A1 version from another manufacturer on it?

Oh and include the gas parts please, it just looks silly inside the foregrip without them:D

i think making the flashider one thing with the barrel is a bad idea. the option to fit silencers, tracers other flashiders etc is a well worthwhile option, however ugly some people think it will look.

and in all honesty, does a removable flashider actually look any different to a permenant when its on the gun ?

i dont think so.

and top marks to ics for asking people, thats why they're mint.

Perhaps having a changeable 19mm dovetail rail and a 20mm rail included in the package would stop some complaints although obviously this would increase the cost.

Already discussed that with them,

i think making the flashider one thing with the barrel is a bad idea. the option to fit silencers, tracers other flashiders etc is a well worthwhile option, however ugly some people think it will look.

Not sure where this whole one peice barrel flash hider thing came from as it clearly shows that the ISC has a threaded barrel, also they didn't mention that this would be the case in recent coms.

But guys, they serious about making this gun for you the Airsofter. Any help in this matter would really help them....and yes they are watching this thread. One of the biggest probelms they have is the lack of a real L85 A2 to model thiers on.

Also as for gear box......not in any of those photos is a gear box shown! It's top secret at the moment and they won't even give me a sneak peak! So no point discussing this until they actually release images of it! But it's one of the reasons why they have a new hop.

But guys, they serious about making this gun for you the Airsofter. Any help in this matter would really help them....and yes they are watching this thread. One of the biggest probelms they have is the lack of a real L85 A2 to model thiers on.

Indeed, there are lots of people awaiting the release for this AEG (including myself), and if we've got a direct channel to ICS to help them develop it then stop with the negative comments! (ICS ignore them) It sounds like there's a lot of you who know your stuff, so keep it up! Me? I just want the finished product to be as accurate as possible in it's appearance/weight (not performance lol) and to maintain the usual ICS quality.

FarEast - any news of a Susat and blow back from ICS? I know it's early days but that would be super cool. If ICS want to make this the best one on the market, then it would be amazing if the cocking lever slid all the way back and was lockable with a working catch - it's these details that would make it better than the rest in my opinion.

As you can see, the handguard is bigger, wider, and more angular.

Hope the pics help ICS.

Nice one Rogue - Hope that shuts a few peeps up! Well done ICS - keep up the good work! (although from an aesthetic point of view, I prefer the previous foregrip. But then again - it's got to be accurate and up-to-date - I'm so buying one!). Again, it would be a great feature if the cocking handle slid all the way back and locked, would also be useful for have for a hop adjusting session).

Well if ICS are watching this thread, then i have a few suggestions.

- The QD frontsight. I'd rather if instead of the "QD" feature, it was exactly the same as the normal front ironsight. The real one can be taken off with a screw driver or a combi tool and in my mind theres no reason to have the QD feature. It just detracts from the replica realism.

- The rear sight rail. Perhaps a seperate 20mm RIS/Picatinny rail, but a standard 19mm dovetail rail as well to be included? I wouldn't want to mount anything other than a SUSAT or the ironsights on an SA80 if i had one. I know others have fitted ACOGs/Aimpoints etc, but for me, it should use the same sights as the original. hence, include two rails.

- Gearbox - Using standard V2 gears will make this a popular gun. Also, look to the G&G replica for reference. That gun strips down VERY easily and is is far easier to work on than other airsoft SA80s. Not only should the gearbox be easy to work on, but it should be easy to get at also.

- Handguard. The real handguard can take a battery large enough for airsoft gaming. Please don't change the dimensions just to fit a larger battery. Also the handguard should have the correct fittings to take the LLM01 (laser light module)

- Optics. There is still a gap in the market for a replica SUSAT. x4 magnification with good eye relief would be preferable, but people are also after a red dot sight version.

- LLM01. Laser Light module -

llm1.jpg

http://www.rheinmetall-detec.de/index.php?lang=3&fid=2174

Theres no decent replica of that yet either. Not only does it fit the SA80, but it also fits the G36 and various pistols in real life and all airsoft picatinny rails. I think that would be a BIG seller, as would the susat.

- Gas parts. Include Gas parts. The SA80 replica really does need to have gas parts to look right. The other brands have included them. They can be easily removed to fit a battery in and then replaced. I would give this serious consideration.

- UGL compatibility.

SA80.jpg

A lot of people would like to be able to fit the STAR Underslung grenade launcher (UGL) to their SA80s. Please make the ICS version compatible with this. If not and you do go down the route of creating your own UGL, please keep all the features of the STAR one (folding sights, LLM rail, pop out breach, gas parts cover etc) but take a look at battery storage.

- A1/A2 If this is to be an A2, please make sure to have all the right A2 parts, rather than just the cocking handle. ie, go with the A2 handguard, the right trades etc - just put in the research time :)

-Magazine catch. Please make sure that the magazine catch has a decent shroud and sufficiently strong spring to stop it from dropping out when in use. Also try different brands of magazines (the most common being TM, CA, G&P , ICS, Dboys and JG) to make sure that they all fit properly. This was a point raised with the other SA80s.

EDIT: as for flash hider - 14mm CCW thread would allow all the usual airsoft accesories to be fitted. Its not something i'd want to be honest, but its a big selling point amongst airsofters.

I hope some of this helps, all the best :)

^Now that is constructive^

As a bit of a note for the future, many people out there would probably be very interested in an LSW kit.

The different parts needed would be:

*Replacement foregrip

*Barrel extension

*Bipod with related supports

*Rear hand grip

*Replacement butt plate with metal extension

IM001682.JPG

Absolutely superb info lads :-) SA80 nerds R us lol - brilliant. You mentioned there's a gap in the market for a Susat, is that because the Star one isn't that great? (I've had a brief look at one and looks ok) I know it doesn't have the Trilux illumination, which would be a super cool feature if ICS can get it to work :-)

I found the STAR SUSAT to have bad eye relief. Ok, the eye relief can be fiddled with to some extent but its hard to look down it when wearing shooting glasses. It looks nice, but it could be improved on.

As pilko said, an LSW conversion kit would be greatly recieved by the airsoft community. Whether for the STAR, the G&G or the ICS, a lot of people would be very interested in one. In particular, it would be worth taking a good look at the bipod/metal outrigger area, to make it in such a way that the bipod can't flip down on its own, when running about with it.

the STAR SUSAT is pants. totally unusable if you ask me, much like their double optics handle for the g36.

a red dot susat would be mint. airsoft doesnt really need 4x magnification, especially at uk power levels. im sure the l85 buffs would want a 5x ones, but as a skirmisher, i would prefer a lesser magnification, or ideally a red dot version.

its not real, but its far more practical and useful.

if ICS indeed does al the things stated above, i'd consider buying a spray-paint can, take of the plastic and respray them old-school style into something of Foilage Green, and then buy one !

looks awesome, and here in the Netherlands you can be dead-set that in every team at least some people use ICS for their reliability.

although i would prefer a V2, considering i still got a upgrade kit lying arround for it ! :D

77.jpg

The LLM on a foregrip.

As far as i remember STAR got the trades right. Trades to the foregrip read something like, "Rifle, L85A2 5.56mm NSN/CG...."

ab02.jpg

Good picture of the gas parts.

gp01.jpg

Another picture of the gas parts. They're held in by spring tension and very easy to remove for fitting a battery. Very much like the recoil rod spring in a common GBB. The gas parts are black in the A2 though.

Also have ICS considered what material the metal body will be made of? Steel bodies are fine untill the paint chips off and they start to rust in places. Tends to occur on the STAR SA80 trademarks. An alloy however should be less rust prone surely?

Just looking through the old STAR thread. If i remember rightly, some bloke posted pics of the trades on his issued "sayty." Christ i feel like the arnies librarian.

Archived