A&K M249 initial impressions

Sorry for the DP but:

Can anyone confirm how the motor connects to the wiring? Is it by the typical AEG spade connectors or are the wires soldered on?

Also, how durable does the carry handle seem and is there any way to 'disable' the quick barrel release? I remember seeing somewhere in the CA M249 thread that its possible by tightening a screw somewhere

Edited by RSM
  • Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anybody here shot one of the ASW imports through a chrono yet?

I know ASW said it was going to get a factory 1J downgrade but the chinese don't seem to have really grasped what 1J actually is, IMO.

Unfortunately, I posted my chrono to some ill-equipped individual 2 days ago so I have no way of testing mine tonight.

I don't really want to turn up on site on Saturday morning and have to try and sort out the spring.

I'm probably just being a muppet here - but how the hell do you remove the foregrip on the para? I want to fit this lower ris but can't see beyond four screws how it actually comes off.

Fine with gearboxes but beaten by a foregrip :lol:

Nice gun so far but definitely watch the screws & circlips on the pins. A few have fallen off or been extremely loose already.

EDIT - Aha, nevermind - that was a sneaky little catch !

Edited by Shard
Nice gun so far but definitely watch the screws & circlips on the pins. A few have fallen off or been extremely loose already.

Bit of a heads-up on that score...

If this gun uses the same "circlips" as other chinese guns I've seen, DO NOT try to tighten them by giving them a little squeeze with pliers.

Believe it or not, they don't seen to be made of proper spring-steel and, as a result, are quite fragile and will snap if twisted or bent awkwardly.

TBH, I'm no expert on circlips but I assume you can get kits of them in a variety of sizes.

If the M249 has a bunch of circlips on it, it might me worth replacing them with decent ones.

Yeah, I didn't think they seemed too flex much - I expect I might well do as you suggest mate. To anyone interested the CA lower ris fits, quite tightly. I'm not 100% sure given that I've never seen one on a CA in person, but the two tabs that hold it in place are very close to being too short to fit as I'd figure they do. Still, it seems solid enough at the moment.

mine arrived this morning para sweet as hell the only thing i don't like is that you have to remove the barrel to get the battery in but hay its one mean gun heave i have no little creeks or wobbles from the gun the box mag feeds fine and airsoft scotland ordered them with the down grade from the factory (hope some one got a chewing i got 2 sent to me by mistake) being the kind person i am i rang em to let them no.) and the box mag will need tape on because if you knock the side off you can say bye bye to a whole mag of bbs. all in all well worth it

Ok I've fiddled and had a good look over it, so far I'd say:

Overall build quality - Excellent given the price. Definitely do check the various hex head screws about though, I did find a few worryingly loose. I'll be picking up some locktite and applying that to a fair few as well as some of the grub screws that aren't essential to taking the gun down. The QD barrel is pretty sturdy and takes a fair effort to relocate, so it should stay put quite happily (There is a pretty beefy spring holding the QR catch onto the notch in the outer barrel too). The "carry" handle is a little wobbly, but seems relatively strong still and will bear the guns weight though I'd not suggest using it in that way ! No worries of it falling off when accessing the battery / inner barrel & hop unit. I haven't looked into the depths of the gearbox yet and I won't be until I get the parts to upgrade it, so I'll have to reserve judgement on that til later.

Finish - Generally it seems pretty good though there are some rough edges, and pitting to various bits. Nothing that really bother me a huge amount though as I am sure after a few skirmishes it'll be battered about anyway ! The plastic parts are better than I had expected, and even the heatshield which will see a fair bit of removal & refitting looks to be up to the task.

I'll also have to pass on the box mag, other than to say it seems to locate and remove without too much hassle. I have noticed it is easier to lock the box mag onto the gun once the feed adaptor is attached, as the latch doesn't seem to spring into place and simply gets in the way. The same goes in reverse for removal. I expect I'll pick up a 1200 CA cloth mag anyway in the end as I prefer the look of it over the supplied 2500 one.

All in all I'm pretty impressed considering it is effectively still a cheapsoft chinese made aeg. Obviously though a gun is useless unless it performs, even if it does look and feel nice. I'm pretty confident it'll be a worthy addition to my little armoury though :D

Edit - Just to confirm the little point I mention earlier, I've found a stockist of ammo crates perfect for a case for the para or maybe the others with the barrel removed.

The crates are 850mm x 266 x 152mm, priced at £5 each. The only catch however is that the postage cost is £15 due to weight, and they only accept cheque or cash as payment, so you need to post the money off to them. Anyway, they apparently have a fair amount in stock, so for anyone interested : Feltons Surplus

I'll be buying one, so I can report back on the condition etc once it arrives with me.

Edited by Shard

Yay Feltons is just up the road from me.

My Para arrived early this afternoon,unfortunately i've been running round doing various things so i've only had about an hour to fondle & play with my gun.I figured out how to get the battery in ok,i had a battery on slow charge since last night & i pretty quickly figured out to put the feed adaptor in first before attaching the mag.Oh my it's a weight,i'd forgotten how heavy these things are.Fortunately i have a suitable sling to help support the weight.I've attached my 10 x 5.56 rounds,fitted an ACOG & i'm currently looking at it lovingly in between typing.I has a slow rate of fire but then i'm using an 8.4 battery at the moment.

I'm going to give the gun a once over later,clean the barrel & tighten any loose bits.

Over all i'm very happy with the way i've spent my cash,although i last held the CA version over a year ago i didn't notice any glaring differances.It's going to be a shame when i put it back in it's box later.

I've received mine and its a beaut but can anyone take a pic of the plate on the right hand side which looks like its supposed to interact with the cocking handle mine was loose in the box when i took it out and not sure which way its supposed to be on and where the small silver wire spring goes.

Also with the sound mode on the auto mag seems to cause mis fires every few shots anyone else experience this ?

Cheers

Cheers

rolling thunder, are you coming to TA5 with that thing?  :)

Unfortunately i can't airsoft until next year.My Mrs has just had a baby & we're doing a house move next month.I really wanted to go to TA5 but with the uncertainty about the babies arrival date i didn't get a ticket but now that combined with the house move it would have scuppered any plans i had.

I think i'll need to save for a smaller box mag & a lot of BBs before i use this in a game.I'll try to post some pix tomorrow,i know all the Paras start the same but the addition of sights,slings & a bullet belt make each one slightly differant{and anyhow i'm proud of my beasty}