A&K M249 initial impressions

I'm going to buy my Para version from Airsoftscotland as soon as i have the funds in my account.I'm going to get them to give me the free downgrade they offer & basically pay for the original spring{£10.99 ish or around that price hopefully}that way i get the gun opened up & theoretically they will check it & tighten the screws when they change the spring over.In fact i'll give them a bell now.

Edit: i just got off the phone & who ever i was chatting to {possibly Frenchy?}said that the guns are now going to be down graded at the factory.They still might be to hot for most sites but they are closer to the limits & at £10ish for a 1 joule spring i don't see that as being a great problem! B)

Edited by rolling-thunder
  • Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Off topic - rof is too slow?  Are you really NOT going to duck cos there are ONLY 400 rounds/min coming at you?  Love to meet you on the battlefield........

Well, I can run sideways and avoid 400 RPM much easier than 1000 RPM. You're right, I won't duck, I'll just slowly move to the side, then shoot you ;)

As long as you didnt write anything Gun related in the comment box, they dont usually say anything.

I'd never do that anyway but with the way paypal have been on my wifes account,suspending it while they "investigate" possible fraudulant transactions :blink: & they took all the money back off people she had payed.

I want this gun so badly i'm not going to be happy if they stop me getting it.I think all future gun purchases will be done via credit card & leave kit buying to the evil empire of paypal.

Reading the due date on the gun & it's the end of September,i'm going to be bouncing off the walls until then & i'm going to be moving home not long after that date.As long as i get the move & delivery in the right order i'll be happy.

That is good news regards the early shipment. Bizarrely I'm going to be in Scotland with work over the original expected delivery date but miles from anywhere at Kyle of Lochalsh so I was expecting to be gnashing my teeth at being miles from home and not getting to see my new toy. Roll on next week!

:D

Here you go, a bit of useless info for you taken from the Jane's Infantry Weapons entries on the FN Minimi and the US M249 SAW.

FN HERSTAL 5.56 mm Minimi light machine gun

Development

Development of the 5.56 mm light machine gun, which was to become the Minimi, began in the early 1960s. Although some of the early development work resulted in the M193, Ernest Vervier and his successor Maurice Bourlet carried out work on a different 5.56 × 45 mm cartridge which became the SS109. In the event, the Minimi was developed to fire both cartridges. The first Minimi prototypes appeared during 1974, although production did not commence until 1982. Since then it has been adopted by many armed forces, including the US Army and Marine Corps (as the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon - SAW).

Description

The Minimi light machine gun is gas operated, using gas tapped from the forward part of the barrel in conventional fashion. The rotary gas regulator is of a simple design, based on the earlier MAG machine gun type and has two basic settings (normal and adverse conditions). Adjustment is by hand, even with a hot barrel.

The breech locking mechanism is an FN design, where the bolt is locked into the barrel extension by a rotational action. This action is initiated by a cam in the bolt carrier.

Normal gas operation, in which the gas piston is forced to the rear, moves the bolt carrier back, leaving the bolt still locked to the barrel extension. The residual chamber pressure is virtually zero by the time the cam action unlocks the bolt. Primary extraction of the spent case begins with the rotation of the bolt before it unlocks.

In the ammunition feed system of the Minimi the disintegrating link belt is held in a 200-round plastic box, which, apart from acting as an ammunition carrier when not on the gun, locks firmly to the gun and becomes virtually integral with it when in action.

The Minimi can accept either a magazine or a belt feed without any modification. The gun is normally regulated to fire using the belt and in this mode the mechanism has to lift the weight of the belt. When firing from a magazine, the load is absent and thus the gun tends to have a higher rate of fire.

The gun is normally bipod mounted but can, if required, be mounted on a tripod. It can also be used with either a fixed or a sliding butt-stock.

Variants

Minimi Para

For users needing a light machine gun shorter than the standard version, there is a Para model with a sliding butt-stock and a shorter barrel. The chief advantage of this version is that it is much easier to handle and carry in and out of vehicles, helicopters and similar confined spaces. Details of this version can be found under Specifications.

The Para butt-stock has been type classified by the US Army as the M5 collapsible butt-stock for its M249 Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW - see entry under United States of America for details).

Minimi New Standard

Starting during 1996, the Minimi New Standard version includes modifications to improve ergonomics and maintainability, without any loss of interchangeability with the earlier models. The most noticeable changes on the Minimi New Standard are a composite butt, the folding carrying handle on the standard barrel and the suppression of the cartridge indicator on the feed cover. Other changes are to the cocking handle stop and the backplate retaining pin. A new Para version is also available. Both the standard and Para models can be supplied with a hydraulic buffer.

M249 SAW

See entry under United States of America for details.

Specifications

Data for standard Minimi; where Para differs, in parenthesis

Cartridge: 5.56 × 45 mm (FN SS109 NATO or M193)

Operation: gas, firing fully automatic

Locking: rotating bolt head

Feed: 200-round belts or 30-round M16A1 magazine

Weight: 7.1 kg (7.14 kg)

Length: 1.04 m (stock folded, 736 mm; stock extended, 893 mm)

Barrel: 465 mm (347 mm)

Rifling: 6 grooves, rh, 1 turn in 304 mm (M193) or 1 turn in 178 mm (SS109)

Sights: fore, semi-fixed hooded post, adjustable for windage and elevation; rear, aperture, adjustable for windage and elevation

Sight radius: 495 mm

Muzzle velocity: M193, 965 m/s; SS109, 915 m/s

Rate of fire: cyclic, 700-1,000 rds/min

Effective range: up to 1,000 m

FNH USA 5.56 mm M249 Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW)

Development

The 5.56 mm M249 Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW) was type classified in 1982. Original plans called for 49,979 for the US Army and 9,974 for the US Marine Corps, but these totals were revised downwards during 1985 pending a number of necessary modifications. This lead to the hurried purchase of 1,000 units at the time of the 1991-92 Gulf War. Initial production forecasts were for 70,000 M249s.

In March 1995, FNH USA (formerly FN Manufacturing Inc (FNMI)) was awarded a US$8,995,110 modification to a firm-fixed-price (with options) contract for 4,089 M249 SAWs.

By the second quarter of 2000 there will be a target quantity of about 72,000 M249s in service with the US armed forces. It is anticipated that this quantity will be maintained until the final quarter of 2007 when the numbers will decline to about 64,000 by the end of 2009. This quantity will be maintained until at least 2012 and probably thereafter.

Description

The licence-produced M249 is a version of the FN HERSTAL Minimi light machine gun (see entry under Belgium in this section) with ergonomic and other modifications to meet US military specifications and manufacturing techniques. The main visual difference is the heatshield above the barrel. It is employed as the squad light machine gun in US Army and Marine Corps service.

Belt feed for the M249 involves 200-round belts using the M27 link, loaded into a plastic container. Rounds are fed with a ratio of four M855 Ball to one M856 Tracer, although special training packs using M855 Ball rounds only are provided for areas where Tracer is prohibited for fire risk reasons.

During 1995 the US Army type classified the M5 collapsible butt-stock for the M249. Several thousands of these were procured direct from FN HERSTAL. The US Army Rangers use the short (381 mm) barrel; this model is also used with the M5 collapsible butt-stock. Adoption of the short barrel for other units is planned.

Planned modifications for the M249 included a blank firing attachment, optical sights (FY99) and a mounting suitable for installation on the High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV) series. Other planned enhancements included armour-piercing ammunition, a feed tray cover with an integral Picatinny rail (FY99), mounting surfaces to accommodate a variety of combat accessories (FY02) and an ammunition assault pack.

Variant

MK46 MOD 0

The M249 Special Purpose Weapon (SPW) was developed jointly by FN HERSTAL and FNH USA for US special operations forces and is a lightened and modified version of the standard M249. This version has a full size buttstock, a SOPMOD rail kit and special coatings to resist corrosion; lubrication requirements are minimal. There is no provision for magazine feed. Barrel length is 406 mm. There is no gas regulation system. Some components have been omitted, such as the carrying handle, magazine well, upper hand guard over the barrel and tripod mounting. These changes and a lightening of both internal and external components have reduced the overall weight of the SPW to 5.7 kg.

In October 2000, it was announced that the SPW had been selected as the new lightweight machine gun for the US Special Operations COMmand (USSOCOM) programme. The USSOCOM designation is MK46 MOD 0. The first delivery order was for 406 examples, although the total contract quantity could be 2,506 over a 4-year time period. Full production began in February 2001 at a rate of 100 weapons a month.

Specifications

M249 SAW

Cartridge: 5.56 × 45 mm

Feed: 200-round M27 link belts or 30-round magazine

Weight: 6.85 kg; barrel, 1.7 kg

Length: 1.04 m

Barrel: overall, 523 or 381 mm (see text)

Rifling: 6 grooves, rh, 1 turn in 178 mm

Sights: fore, semi-fixed hooded post, adjustable for windage and elevation; rear, aperture, adjustable for windage and elevation

Sight radius: 490 mm

Muzzle velocity: 915 m/s

Muzzle energy: ca 175 kgm

Rate of fire: cyclic, ca 750 rds/min

Max range: ca 2,000 m; effective, up to 1,100 m

MK46 MOD 0

Cartridge: 5.56 × 45 mm

Feed: 100- or 200-round belts

Weight: empty, 5.7 kg

Length: 908 mm

Barrel: 406 mm

Rifling: 6 grooves, rh, 1 turn in 178 mm

Sights: fore, semi-fixed hooded post, adjustable for windage and elevation; rear, aperture, adjustable for windage and elevation; SOPMOD rail for optical sights, laser designators and tactical lights

Muzzle velocity: ca 915 m/s

Rate of fire: cyclic, ca 750 rds/min

Short video from (maybe) the first spanish owner of an A&K M249. He says he loves it.

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=8302yizUaGk

A teammate had one on Sunday at Longmoor, it's fantastic. Renders my Star useless :( *Although it was the MK2.

Edited by Ripcurl682

Any more news on delivery date, as I'm in work and airsoftworld is blocked by our server and theres no way of getting round it. I ordered the PARA version can not wait, just wondering if any heard anything about when they shall be sending out there first batch to customers, hope that makes sense.

Haven't been this giddy since I was waiting for my masterpiece optimus prime figure.

Make me wonder what the domestic UK market will be like by the time the 249s hit this shore.Support guns will be very popular for a while before the novelty wears off & people decide they would like less weight to carry :D

May be we can have teams with a more realistic weaponry between the unit?

You guys do know these are already in the UK right? Land Warrior airsoft!

Yeah i know a few are over here already,i was speciffically refering to the main UK order that's due in a weeks or two{or general sale}when there will suddenly be masses of 249 taken on to the playing field.