Seeking cure for the VSR "right hook"

sc0rp10n

I have been trying for the past month to no avail to stop my VSR from hooking shots to the right with HOP turned on. I've tried many things so I'll list them to keep it simple.

First the base parts used -

Custom K2 SS cylinder set - 193m/s (630ft/s)

TM Pro sniper outer barrel

KA 290mm Suppressor

TM hop chamber

Prometheus(Laylax) Soft type packing

Prometheus(Laylax) 555mm 6.03mm

H-hop black spacer

KSC .30g

Straight .43g

BEFORE ANYONE POSTS "IT'S THE SUPPRESSOR" - THE SHOTS HOOK WITH OR WITHOUT THE SUPPRESSOR ATTACHED.

Now for what's been done -

The rocker arm in hop chamber had to be modified to hold a spacer as it originally had two fingers pushing down on the packing. This simply did not give enough pressure to overcome the FPS the rifle puts out. I have tried using normal rubber spacers(Guarder, TM, Prometheus), but these don't provide enough pressure either.

I have cleaned the barrel and also run a level on it to check for any bends. None were found nor was it dirty at all.

I've tried washed and unwashed BBs of the two type listed above and both do exactly the same thing.

I've tried making my custom "ink tube" spacer as I recommended in an earlier thread on these forums and that spacer does exactly the same a the H-hop.

I am seeking any advice as to why my shots hook right sharply at 230-250ft every time. Again if I take hop off I can fire dead zero out to 150ft, but that defeats the purpose of this rifle. Any and all ideas are welcome I have many tools on hand and can construct most anything I need short of CNC work. Please if anyone has any ideas I am starving for some new hope!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the BBs are flying straight with no hop and curving with hop I guess it's a no-brainer that the hop-up is causing the problem.

About the only thing not (directly) hop-up related might be if the barrel is slightly twisted inside the hop-up chamber, thus stopping the hop applying evenly.

I think your problem is right here:

Prometheus(Laylax) Soft type packing

Given your power output level (600+ FPS) you need to be using a harder bucking. Your soft bucking is probably being warped with the amount of power your rifle is producing and therefore is throwing your shots off.

Thanks for all the ideas! I've been able to check the following -

Inner barrel is NOT bent or twisted

Inner barrel is seated PROPERLY in the hop unit

Packing is the ONLY type laylax makes for the barrel I have and other people use it at 600fps WITHOUT PROBLEMS

Packing is NOT damaged

H-hop spacer was swapped out for normal spacer and also a custom solid resin cast spacer neither EFFECTED the right hook

Again thanks for the help. I'm going to keep making adjustments, but I think there is something I must be missing.

Whats to stop you from using other hop packings? You're using the barrel in the original TM hop chamber, which means it is exactly like other aftermarket (and original) vsr barrels, is it not? I would say its probably your hopup rubber. Try using the original TM hopup arm with a firefly HARD v-bucking, and see if that makes it any better.

You're very welcome. I'm going to be watching this topic :)

Haven't heard of a problem like yours before, haha, might be something new to learn from it. Good luck with the fix.

edit: oh, and im no expert, but it looks sort of like a pygmy possum

re-edit: looks like i was right about not being an expert :P

The fire fly hop is definitely worth a try. Tbh, it's worth having any way.

When you say 'hooks to the right', is it more of a 'clockwise corkscrew'?

I know you are sure that it's not the barrel, but, do you experience the exact same problem with another barrel??

I ask because I had the problem I describe with a 555.

At first I thought it was a right hand hook, but further observation revealed that it was a fairly predictable clockwise corkscrew.

I checked everything to no avail. Switched to a 430 & the problem went.

This caused me to try another lalax 555. Guess what? Different 555,,,,,,,,,same problem!

So for a while I stayed with the 430. I couldn't return the 555 & didn't want to sell it on ('cos it was no good). So, eventually, I thought I'd try out my theory about optimum length & cut it back to 480mm. Do a search for details because this not only solved the corkscrew problem, but also gave better accuracy & fps than the 430!!

Greg.

I've ordered the firefly packing and two new H-hops kits, so I'll see if that helps.

greg - Your theory is very intereting, so intersting in fact that i got the camera and tripod out and taped my shots. Guess what, you're totally correct, it's a clockwise "twist" on the round that terminates exactly as you described. I've no idea why I didn't think of that in the first place.

I'm going to install the new H-hop and the firefly packing this weekend. If that isn't the solution I'm getting the chop saw out ;) Thanks again for all the help everyone! Of all the forums I've posted on this one always has the most ideas.

i'm having a similar problem with my g-spec its been upgraded to 5xxfps or there abouts when you fire you can watch it through the scope it enters at the bottom left then curves round to the right before exiting towards the top right hand corner

it doesnt seem to matter if the hopup is on or off i might give zero one a bell tomoro seen as i bought it off them

Softers are REALLY subject to wind. Especialy beyond 30m where the bb starts to slow & rely on the back spin from the hop to keep it going.

Even the slightest left to right breeze would cause what you are describing. A few inches of windage with your evo could be feet or even yards with your vsr.

Obviously check by firing from your target back to your original firing position. If the wind is kind enough to remain constant you will observe the opposite (or not) & confirm if it's the gun.

If you've done this trick already, then I'd try swapping out the barrel & hop.

Check exactly what Z1 did for you. If they did barrel/hop perhaps they would be good enough to 'straighten it out'.

Greg.

it was a still day when i fired it i know a bb gun will never be as accurate as me eve (that thing puts pellet on top of pellet at 50 yards)

but this think looks like a david beckham free kick everytime i fire i've seen people get A4 size groups at 50 yards but this thing is curling that bad my shot grouping is roughly 4 meters at 25 yards

i have a second barrel its longer than the g-spec one infact i'm probably gonna have to trim it to get in to not stick out the silencer too but i was meaning to put a longer barrel in anyway

Might sound like I'm asking stupid questions but is your rifle scoped?

Usually for any hooks or bends that take place is as a result of a scope not being mounted level (for right hand bend it usually means that the left side is too low).

Post if it is scoped and I can offer a potential remedy.... apologies a bit short on time at the moment.

To the guys who've posted recently,

I am an avid firearms owner as well as an airsofter so I know how to fire a weapon level. I also have a bench to lock my rifles onto. And I also know how to mount and zero a scope. And more importantly this hasn't been happening since day one, for about a week after I installed the barrel and packing it was shooting perfectly level and straight. I had a 4in grouping at 250ft every time.

Thanks for the ideas, but let's stick to Airsoft concerns for now, I'll post again when I have the new parts installed and before I cut down the barrel(if that's actually needed).

yup i'm using a scope an ags swat 3-12x44 to be precise the scope appears to be level and straight according to my scope spirits and the base's are firmly clamped in place i've put the longer barrel on and fron what i can tell so far this has improved it i'm still getting a rather inaccurate gruoping though (about 6 inch) at 10 yards

the rifle is new (less than a week old) it has been upgraded to 5xxfps and at the mo i've only got the .25 ammunition i should have some .3's on order soon though but surely this should be that inaccurate

also when i cock the gun if the hopup isnt on the bb's roll out the end of the barrel

Archived