what's so good about eotech?

HK luver

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but not like the gen. 1+ NVG an EO-tech are usefull. For NVG's you need to get at least gen. 2+ before it is usefull without an active light source. Then using a light source you might as well be using a regular torch when others are using a NVG, no matter the generation, as that is how clearly you'll be spottet at night.

As to the price of airsoft optics vs. RS optics. I have used 450$ on my airsoft optics and 2800$ on the optics for my hunting rifle. Perhaps that explanes why I don't see the price tag on eo-techs as terrifying.

I think most of those in opposition need an education in basic finance (specifically depretiation in relation to demand). Here's how to own your very own EOTech for next to nothing!:

1) Buy used VGC EOTech

2) Use it forever and enjoy outstanding engineering

3) Sell said EOTech for 100% of initial purchase value

Voila. Effectively all that is arguably lost is the opportunity cost (profits which could have been accrued from the initial investment into the EOTech). At current uk rate of ~3.5% that's less than a tenner a year.

Next up in the series, own a Ferrari and MAKE MONEY OFF IT!!! :o

PS: This post was just crackin a joke at all the sillies that try and argue other peoples' purchases. Seriously, get a life.

Asking why people buy Eotech's is like asking why people bother to buy upgrade parts such as metal bodies, why they bother to buy G&P or CA instead of TM, why they buy anything other than a china clone. They buy it because it's within their means to buy it.

If you need further explanation beyond that... then quite frankly I give up. It's really not that complicated. <_<

It's like me responding to your mention of buying CA guns. Why would you buy a CA gun when a TM gun is just as good? Please answer that.

I buy ca guns because they come with a metal body, Armalite markings, and because TM doesn't make a M15 with a full stock and a m4 barrell...This really has nothing to do with eotech...

So, which begs the next question: Why buy multiple aegs?

Because I can/because I want to.

And why do I want one? Because it's cool, because it's new, because I want to make a certain kit, because real operators use it, because it is good at what it does, because it's better, because I want to get more airsoft stuff.

Notice how all of those reasons can apply to the EOTech as well.

I really can't make it any simpler than that. Some people like to have multiple aeg's (I know I did), others like to concentrate on one/two (which I now like to do). Others are content with the basics, and still others want multiple aegs/kits with everything with it.

now to reiterate:

I am not quite sure how else to put it. If you don't want to spend the money, then fine, don't. Understand that there are people out there who can/do spend the money. Besides, airsoft is a hobby, your supposed to spend money on it. :P How you spend on it is all up to you.

EDIT: Totally agree with what uscmCorps said.

Your great...I didn't ever say that i wanted to buy 2 rifles i said i would rather jsut buy 2 than buy one with an eotech...Please guys don't get me wrong like i've said thousande of time i like eotechs just as much as you but i was just wondering what was so special about them (HENCE THE TITLE) i never tried making people not buy them but i really just wanted to know why...so while you guys are getting your panties in a bunch worrying that im questioning you about a sight, your not even answering my question...

I buy ca guns because they come with a metal body, Armalite markings, and because TM doesn't make a M15 with a full stock and a m4 barrell...This really has nothing to do with eotech...

I buy RS Eotechs because they come with holography, L3 markings, reliability, higher quality and because ACM ones don't make a sight with the same capabilities...This really has everything to do with buying one product over another...

Dude, if you can't understand these simple comparisons then I can't imagine you passing any standardized tests anywhere in the world. :headbutt:

Not only that, your above statement is ridiculous. Markings!?!! TM's ARs have COLT markings. If you did a poll, the vast majority of M4 users would rather have COLT markings than Armalite Markings. A Full Stock!?!! You do realize that you can go and buy a full stock from pretty much any manufacturer. <_<

How the heck do you survive in this world? :huh:

I buy RS Eotechs because they come with holography, L3 markings, reliability, higher quality and because ACM ones don't make a sight with the same capabilities...This really has everything to do with buying one product over another...

Dude, if you can't understand these simple comparisons then I can't imagine you passing any standardized tests anywhere in the world. :headbutt:

Not only that, your above statement is ridiculous. Markings!?!! TM's ARs have COLT markings. If you did a poll, the vast majority of M4 users would rather have COLT markings than Armalite Markings. A Full Stock!?!! You do realize that you can go and buy a full stock from pretty much any manufacturer. <_<

How the heck do you survive in this world? :huh:

well i guess it all comes down to i like to save my money... i donno your tryin to diss me and I think it's pretty rediculous because were are on an airsoft forum...you don't need to put another post here simply because it wouldn't have anything to do with the topic and because no1 would care...it's for your own good. I don't really care at all about colt markings or the fact that i can by a full stock. were talking about why people buy eotech and so far i really only have a good answer and it is ecause they are holographic and they have a wider range of vision...this is arguable for being better or worse. yea they mighgt be higher quality but i've had a raplica aimpoint for 3 and a half years and it does as well as the day i bought it and it works well for what i do...I airsoft...

Hk-

The bottom line is, is that Eotechs are great pieces of equipment for real steel applications. They aren't the end all be all of the optic world, as they aren't the perfect choice for every firearm or use of said firearm. With that being said, when it comes to airsoft it doesn't matter. Airsoft guns do not shoot nearly as far or accurately as real steel guns. When it comes to airsoft you choose what you like and what you can afford. In the end it isn't going to matter if you are using a replica aimpoint or a real eotech.

well i guess it all comes down to i like to save my money... i donno your tryin to diss me and I think it's pretty rediculous because were are on an airsoft forum...you don't need to put another post here simply because it wouldn't have anything to do with the topic and because no1 would care...it's for your own good. I don't really care at all about colt markings or the fact that i can by a full stock. were talking about why people buy eotech and so far i really only have a good answer and it is ecause they are holographic and they have a wider range of vision...this is arguable for being better or worse. yea they mighgt be higher quality but i've had a raplica aimpoint for 3 and a half years and it does as well as the day i bought it and it works well for what i do...I airsoft...

Hk-

*sigh* You win. I give up. If you don't get it... you won't get it.

The bottom line is, is that Eotechs are great pieces of equipment for real steel applications. They aren't the end all be all of the optic world, as they aren't the perfect choice for every firearm or use of said firearm. With that being said, when it comes to airsoft it doesn't matter. Airsoft guns do not shoot nearly as far or accurately as real steel guns. When it comes to airsoft you choose what you like and what you can afford. In the end it isn't going to matter if you are using a replica aimpoint or a real eotech.

WHOOOOO SOMEONE WITH SOME COMMON SENCE!!! I LOVE YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH i thought i was speaking spanish or something...

Hk-

Just chill

When you get to the point in life when you can feel you need something like an eotech and you can afford it you can get it without all the sagging of shoulders and whining of others. If you have what you want airsoft wise and you desire an eotech and have the money, why buy anything else, that would be greater waste(if you consider an eotech a waster). You can make this argument for anything.

Its okay to ask for why, its different to have a fit about it

Just chill

When you get to the point in life when you can feel you need something like an eotech and you can afford it you can get it without all the sagging of shoulders and whining of others. If you have what you want airsoft wise and you desire an eotech and have the money, why buy anything else, that would be greater waste(if you consider an eotech a waster). You can make this argument for anything.

Its okay to ask for why, its different to have a fit about it

Who was having a fit about it...?

Hello, many of you may remember my "Real Steel vs. Airsoft" comparisons of various guns inc. M4, P90, G36, etc. where I photograph them side by side, try to cross fit parts, etc. At the department where I work my unit carries the M4 or MP5 for entry, heavy barrel .223's for support. When I got the M4. I started with an ACOG sight, but found it was slow in acquiring the target, esp. indoors, low light and in CQB situations with fast moving targets comingled with good guys.

MyM4gery.jpg

I was the oldest guy in the unit, and the ONLY one who didn't use the "new fangled" Eotech. On my heavy barrel support rifle (not an entry rifle) I have iron sights with a scout mount Aimpoint. I liked it for a support rifle. I have kept it on there.

ARpb2.jpg

In the end, I had the armorer replace the ACOG with an Eotech. I really like it. It is incredibly fast in acquiring targets inc. fast moving ones. It permits alot of peripheral vision while maintaining a "position of dominance" (a SWAT term meaning you are ready to spot and shoot in a flash, while scanning an area AND keeping an eye on submissive targets). It was a nice, bright image and you had some flexibility as to eye relief and eye alignment. According to people who have broken them, even if the glass is shattered you will still be able to accurately sight targets.

Granted, a certain amount of the decision making process to go to an Eotech (we pretty much can have ANY sight on our weapons so long as the rangemaster/armorer approves) is that I am middle aged and my eyes are not as sharp as when I was young. Here's a pic of my daughter using the M4 to show how it looks now with the Eotech (her 6th Grade science fair project was to test penetration of a bullet resistant vest with various calibers)

DSCN1181.jpg.

BTW, on both the M4 and the support AR, the iron sights are cowitnessed with the optics. On the old ACOG, it had built in backup peep sights which were nice, but it was just a little slow for my tastes. Anyway, I thought I would offer some insight from a real steel, work related perspective.

Your great...I didn't ever say that i wanted to buy 2 rifles i said i would rather jsut buy 2 than buy one with an eotech...Please guys don't get me wrong like i've said thousande of time i like eotechs just as much as you but i was just wondering what was so special about them (HENCE THE TITLE) i never tried making people not buy them but i really just wanted to know why...so while you guys are getting your panties in a bunch worrying that im questioning you about a sight, your not even answering my question...

Some people like to have multiple aeg's (I know I did), others like to concentrate on one/two (which I now like to do). Others are content with the basics, and still others want multiple aegs/kits with everything with it.

Besides, airsoft is a hobby, your supposed to spend money on it. :P How you spend on it is all up to you.

Sometimes it's good to read the entire post good sir. You have just exemplified one type of airsofter I mentioned in that quote.

still after everyone has said [h]ow good they are, I agree totaly but not at all for airsoft... i don't care what you guys do with your money but i think it's pointless for an airsoft gun. Ok you might be trying to make airsoft as real as possible but do you really need a $400 sight on your gun. I really do like them but enough for an airsoft gun...

Hk-

You even acknowledged that people answered your question. Has it ever occurred to you that people disagree with you? That they feel the good points they have for real weapons will also make them good for airsoft. Plus you cannot argue that they function much better than any replica sight (ie G&P Aimpoint) on the market. You do not care how they spend their money yet question why they need a $400 scope. You feel the price still does not justify the EOTech for airsoft use, others will disagree with you. Just like real infantrymen, there are people who will want every possible advantage, while others will be content with what they have, and/or find other alternatives they feel get the job done. For you, obviously, it's too high a price to justify for airsoft use, and that is perfectly fine.

Now before you go on again about defending yourself. It is your oppinion that an EOTech is too expensive for airsoft, and again, that is perfectly fine. There are people out there who do not find the EOTech too expensive for airsoft and that is fine as well. For crying out loud I sold mine (as well as most of my aegs) because I couldn't justify the cost, I know how you feel. The fact that you are coming off that you do not understand why anyone (re: Airsofter) would want to buy one I find frustrating. People can and do spend their money as they wish.

Anyways, enough of this dead horse/mutilated cow. (Just watched a UFO show about cow mutilations. Yeah, no life, I know. :P)

Archived