Sniper's future is soon to be changed; Different Ammo

sneaky-fab

When you shoot a sniper at someone you aim for the head or upper body.

I shot at least a 100-150 people this year with my 560fps and 600fps VSR and no one ever complained.

Typically, I aim for the torso (or whatever is the widest target area) to maximize hit probability. Aiming for the head is stupid for a sniper, unless that's the only available target.

From the number above, I shot just a few people in the head.

And very-very few in the face.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I play with the church team the guys with snipers all aim for the head. I think its kinda funny since they are the youth pastors. When I play with them I wear my full USMC load out that I had in the corps. You'd be surprised how many times my kevlar helmet has saved my *albatross*. I also dont expose just my head. I learned that in the sand box(Afghanistan), they shoot at what they see. I've developed some counter sniper strategies as well. But generally snipers only get that one shot at you before you know that you've been shot at. They know that and you know that and as soon as you hear it and dont get hit, its time to move.

I shot at least a 100-150 people this year with my 560fps and 600fps VSR and no one ever complained.

Typically, I aim for the torso (or whatever is the widest target area) to maximize hit probability. Aiming for the head is stupid for a sniper, unless that's the only available target.

I run all my bolties at 500 and i havent yet in 3 years had to shoot for the head , i always wait ,and never less than 25 metres ,im in it for fun not to hurt anyone smgs .29 win end off

What he said.

I'd be much happier on a field where snipers use 500fps bolties than on a filed where some nobber has a 1.35J MP5k.

To spell it out, the guy with the 500fps boltie is likely to be shooting at you from at least 30m away. By contrast, you could be shot by the K at point-blank. Which do you think is gonna hurt more?

I'm also not sure what makes people think snipers are more likely to take head shots.

People shoot at what they can see.

If a guy with a 1J AEG can see your head poking out over a log 10m away he's gonna shoot at you. Equally, if a sniper sees your head from 40m away he's gonna take the shot.

In that example, the 1J gun fired at 10m is probably going to hurt more.

Only a nutcase would deliberately take head-shots where a larger target was in view.

When I play with the church team the guys with snipers all aim for the head.

Must be a nice team if they strive to change the dental records of other players. ;)

Last time, when I had the chance to shoot two guys (crawling toward my high-ground position) square in the face @30m, I waited until the first one turned his head to the side and drilled him above the line of his patrol cap, and put one into the shoulder of the other. Two hits, no harm done.

yea its 3 years old, i found that out later .... -_-

Trasher, you sound like a noble man to me... respect

I made some headshots but its not my fault, its the fault of the crappy 6.14 widebore barrel that random selects my point of impact

Anyway face protection is on his way for my little brother ( and for me -_- )

Yes really, aegs don't have a consistent air seal+velocity solution, a well setup sniper rifle has a +/- 1fps variance, havent even /heard/ of an aeg that has anywhere near that, I guess it could work if your site has no fps/ammo/anything restrictions, but if thats the case, you might as well be playing backyard scrimishes.

<-- airsoft tech 5 years running

I chronod my sr16 with an element FTK and it was shooting 272/273 fps.

I chronod my sr16 with an element FTK and it was shooting 272/273 fps.

At this low fps, you wouldn't expect too much variance, it tends to show up more as you add more power, you would be unlikely to see a +/- 1fps at 500ish fps. :D Well done if you do.

Greg.

i tried someones aeg counter sniper. it was 442-429.... (those were the 2 shots i did) whereas my tm m4 (1J) does 317-320

As said, & that has a huge effect on accuracy.

Conversely it's one of the contributory factors to why the VSR is so accurate.

If you get it right, they chrono +/-1 or less, all the way up the fps scale.

I've got a 400fps aeg sniper that chronos +/- 2, but that's the best I've had so far.

Greg.

come now guys, deliberatly shooting people in the head is not safe and in most cases is against the rules on a public site. says so in the weaver form i filled out to play. also, pointed rounds are a no no because of the chance that they could break the skin. breaking the skin/ causing damage quickly leads to court cases and assault with fire arm charges. trust me this happened to a "sniper" at the place i regulrly play. he had a really hot gun and he shot 3 people. 2 face shots, and one neck shot. both from ridiculous ranges (ridiculously short). all 3 broke the skin and caused bleeding. after that he was banned from the site and one of the guys who was hit threatened him that he would charge him with assault. then if he did, the courts would find that his rifle was way over legal (and forum limits) which would result in it being delt with as if it was assault with a fire arm. this equals jail time.

if your gun is powerful, do not shoot any one ever! in the head. nor should you be looking to shoot anyone at close range.

As a Sniper Myownself, I have a few reasons, both practical and philosophical, for not taking headshots. First of all, even with the most consistent, accurate sniper rig, there will be significant deviances at the proper engagement range, which when combined with environmental factors can make what would have been a close hit a miss. And misses are not acceptable. So centre-of-mass is my preffered point of aim.

Also, Fewer people *badgeress* at me if I don't shoot them in the face, which makes them less likely to attack me from absurdly close range to "Teach me a Lesson".

The Philosophical reasons are that I wouldn't want to be shot in the face with my rifle ((On the high end of legal)) and so I won't be doing it to anyone else. Also, headshots aren't necessary in Airsoft, so the most utility is realized by shooting for center of mass which gives consequently higher kill/deat ratios.

As a Sniper Myownself, I have a few reasons, both practical and philosophical, for not taking headshots. First of all, even with the most consistent, accurate sniper rig, there will be significant deviances at the proper engagement range, which when combined with environmental factors can make what would have been a close hit a miss. And misses are not acceptable. So centre-of-mass is my preffered point of aim.

Also, Fewer people *badgeress* at me if I don't shoot them in the face, which makes them less likely to attack me from absurdly close range to "Teach me a Lesson".

The Philosophical reasons are that I wouldn't want to be shot in the face with my rifle ((On the high end of legal)) and so I won't be doing it to anyone else. Also, headshots aren't necessary in Airsoft, so the most utility is realized by shooting for center of mass which gives consequently higher kill/deat ratios.

good points there. i totally agree with the "i wouldnt want it done to me" thing, it makes perfect sense( i got hit by a 500 fps sniper in the chest, barely hurt, but i felt it, whereas i got hit by a stock mp001 in the forehead.that hurt a lot more)

• 2 weeks later...

so yeah...besides getting off topic they already designed a shaped projectile for airsoft. it looks like a mini nerf thing.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2006/8/prweb417804.htm

http://rap4.com/paintball/os/rap4-airfin-4000-p-2946.html

Basically shaped projectiles means changing hop units or eliminating them, and new feeding system. Plus cost for ammo goes up by a lot. But eh. These airsoft guns are overpriced POS from what I have heard. I only have heard of one person every buying one. Apparently these airsoft guns could also shoot copperhead bb's you know those metal bb's that hurt like a mofo when you got shot by them. Yeah. It is old. Plus I think in the old days of classics they originally had bullet shaped bb's(not sure but pretty sure I read it somewhere). That was the same time with all the ejection of shells and etc. Not really practical in terms of cost and etc. Manufacturers found it cheaper to produce round bb's and eventually created the hop for accuracy.

Also look at air guns. BB guns are typically made for target shooting, some for hunting small game. But people wanted more lethal force and accuracy. Meaning power and stuff, so they switched from round bb's to shaped pellets.

Also on the topics of taking headshots, it isn't really cool if you can shoot them somewhere else. Unless you shot them somewhere else and they didn't call it, then and only then go for skin. This isn't like a video game where you are like OMG U GOT PWNED!!!MONSTER KILL!! HEADSHOT!!! It is more of like a respect thing. But eh, it is a personal choice to take headshots whenever possible. But most people are opposed to it. I guess it would be like shooting at people that are at respawn or something or someone that is clearly out. But usually snipers have enough energy that people will know if they got hit. Just don't go for the face or ears since people have chipped teeth and stuff and getting hit in the ear blows.

Archived