Window Cleaner saw guns

Handsome Pete

A mate of mine had his window's cleaned today. Someone was at home at the time. The cleaner looked through first floor window and noticed 2 weapons (both are Airsoft, an M4 and GBB 226). He threatened to call police if the prson in didnt. She then called the police herself who claimed if he were seen with it in the street the police would have the go ahead to shoot (which we all know). Armed response then phoned back telling that my mate would have to take his weapons to the local station this evening for destruction. (this is the rough story as my intel isnt too specific).

The guns were both bought prior to October the 1st. They have been used at skirmish sites a couple of times, other than that they stay in the house.

Technically the window cleaner has broken the law for using a ladder to clean windows.

Im presuming my mate will be questioned at the time of handing them in where he will explain that he uses them for skirmishing. Whats the policy on storing these guns? Are they within their rights to have them destroyed? cheers.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he should go to the station without the RIF's, have a chat to the police and explain that he has a defence for owning them, and that he wasnt doing anything wrong as they were in his house... Its not like he was running round the street with them!

Your mate can tell the police to stick the "destruction order" where the monkey stuck his nuts*. They're not illegal to own, the window cleaner has also probably broken laws on privacy. The police have no right to order their destruction or even seizure if they cannot prove they are illegal or were bought illegally. He doesn't need a defence to own them either: the VCRA covers sale and purchase, not ownership.

*However he should actually use a more diplomatic term lest they nick him for insulting a police officer :P

Moved to General Discussion, as it's not Off Topic.

I know others have been in a similar situation, hopefully they'll read this and contribute.

Personally, I would ask the police on what grounds they had decided the replicas must be handed in and destroyed. I would have thought that he had taken due care to avoid them being on public display, they were not in any way being used to cause distress, they're legal to own (and he can explain about the defence under the Violent Crime Reduction Act anyway) so under what law are they insisting they be handed in?

He is within the law to have his airsoft weapons, as far as im aware (dont quote me lol) in the eyes of the law they are classed as toys and as such can be treated that way, however as they are RIF's they need to be treated that way, so not on public display, but a second story bedroom would be fine i would have thought, he doesnt have to have them locked away by law.

When i was burgled the police officer got on his high horse talking down to me about my guns, which were hidden away in a corner behind a wardrobe and not in view, of course i was a little peeved by being robbed and i told him about the laws on the airsoft guns in a less than diplomatic way, he didnt take it very well but he didnt argue back. They had the armed response there seemingly before i arrived home according to him, im not sure i believe him about that however, but in the end nothing happened.

Who was this person in the house who actually made the phone call?

Surely the person knew they were there and didn't have a problem with that, and as it wasn't the window cleaner who made the call there hasn't really been a complaint lodged has there?

I'd imagine the police on the other end of the phone thought the person in the house was complaining about the items and wanted rid of them, thus they said they should be brought to the station for destruction.

I think a quiet chat with the officers and a promise to keep them hidden out of sight in future should suffice.

There is no law (yet) making it illegal to own airsoft guns and they were inside the house out of sight of passers-by - I can't see the Police have any right to suggest they are destroyed, although it probably makes their figures for 'getting guns off the streets' look a little better...

Cheers.

PS Actually the last post probably makes the most sense...

For the Firearms Act 1968 or Anti Social Behaviour Act 2003 to apply, the replicas would need to be in a public place. Seems to me they weren't, but it depends what was said and who the person who called the police was. Would their presence make it a more public place?

Pete my mate had a similar thing happen to him as well.

His neighbours saw him with his RPK (in his living room) after getting back from an event in Poland. When he was at work the next day the police put his door in after there was no one home, took his RPK, left two officers outside waiting for him to get home. When he got back they carted him off to the station and told him that he had to sign a form for his RPK to be destroyed or face charges.

Needless to say he was stupid enough to sign the form.

Needless to say he was stupid enough to sign the form.

Thats not entirely fair bud. Fear throughout the ages has caused people to do alot of things they otherwise wouldnt have done had they not been pressured.

I doubt it was fear that made him sign it lol, he wants to join the army you see and I hear they frown on criminal records.

Id say thats smart then. Afterall, a 300 dollar toy is not worth jeopardizing your future over. I do understand that he did nothing wrong and probably could have fought the decision of the police but remember, the truth doesnt always win.

frown on criminal records? hardly :P

and id have told them to charge me... they CANT.... private property.... = not in public, legal to own, and his... end of.... no laws broken, same as this guy, although ive always remembered to close my curtains when the window cleaner comes...

another game of the police not knowing thier own laws...

R

I cant see as they will be allowed to have them destroyed..

I think armed response prolly got left a vauge message..

make sure your friend states to them that they are not real and that they are legal

prolly just confusion.. if not and they insist on having them destroyed.. have him put in a complaint and not let it go lol

right the facts on this. there is no power in law at this moment in time to make you surrender your weapons. I have never heard such ###### in all my life. police can only seize your weapons as part of a criminal investigation. the law states that you can be in possession of most weapons as long as it is in the privacy of you own home. there is no reason to surrender you weapons. DO NOT DO SO!. if you would like to PM me I am happy to speak to you about it. what police force was this. as a serving police officer I am disgusted by this shameful display of gung-hoism by firearms.

regarding the window cleaner exactly what right does he have to demand anything. fire his *albatross*.

you do not need any defence to possess.the whole vcra does not apply. the only thing you have to worry about would be waving them around in public, which you already know.

for our american posters, the police are not jugde jury or executoners over here and are frequently wrong.

pablo public place means any location by which the public have access to by means of payment or otherwise. in a nut shell would the general public be allowed to ponce around there. a private residence is not could not and will not be a public place.

regarding argueing with the police do so and if you get no joy bring a brief.

Ok. Spoke to my mate and have got the facts a bit clearer. Seems like his parent are not very keen on guns. Therefore when the cleaner noticed them and his parent rang up and explained (though obviously not very well and when the police replied with replica firearms (or w/e term they used) are illegal (or w/e theysed), his parent wanted them out the house asap. He has tried to explain but anti gun parents lookin for an excuse to get rid of them will not listen. He won't be seeing the police instead they will hand them into the station whilst he is at school. Seems more of a case of ignorance and 'parents know best' are the culprit. Combined with the police's drastic 'lets cover our arses' attitude have resulted in my mate being 'fired' from airsoft.

Sorry, I know this isnt quite the story I told u straight away (or i was told) but it has been informative in terms of his and our rights (in the UK) of possesion and storage of these airsoft weapons. Thanks for all the input and help guys, really shows what arnies is all about, and brings out a sore spot on the police. (dunno if mods want to lock this now or what :unsure: )

Cheers agains guys nd girls. :)

Archived