Guns with pronounced tilting barrels?

Evan Levesque

When I say tilting barrel, I mean when you retract the slide, the chamber end of the barrel drops down, so when the slide is locked, and the gun held horizontal, the barrel is canted upwards, whereas it is level when the slide is in battery. The picture attatched shows a Smith & Wesson M&P at slide lock. Look how the barrel is canted upwards. When the slide is released, the barrel drops back to a horizontal position.

Not really a glock fan, because of the grip angle. What other airsoft pistols have pronounced barrel tilt?

Evan

post-3234-1202863883_thumb.jpg

Evan,

the Tanaka SIG has a SLIGHT barrel cant. . it's not as pronounce as your S&W or even half of that. . the KSC SIG Pro series (2009, 2340) have a pretty drastic and very noticeable barrel cant. . just like their steel counterparts.

Why does the barrel unlock? That's what keeps the slide and frame together during the first few milimeters of movement, before the before the slide unlocks and the barrel stops. In 1911's locking cutouts are in the slide/and barrel, where as in the USP and SIG series, the Chamber itself serves as the lock block.

Or:

Why do I want an airsoft replica with a tilting barrel? 1.) I think it looks cool. 2.) I was trying to explain how that works to a buddy this afternoon, and seeing as I'm living away from my real guns at the moment, I'd like to have something to explain to them.

Also, it's an excuse to start researching a new gun when my airsoft fund builds itself up again...

Evan

Why does the barrel unlock? That's what keeps the slide and frame together during the first few milimeters of movement, before the before the slide unlocks and the barrel stops. In 1911's locking cutouts are in the slide/and barrel, where as in the USP and SIG series, the Chamber itself serves as the lock block.

Guns such as the 1911 and Hipower use a system known as the "Browning Action" to lock the slide to the barrel. That's the grooves you see in the slide and barrel.

Guns such as USPs and Glocks use what's called a "Modified Browning Action" which means, basically, that the actual outer shape of the breech block is what locks the barrel and slide together.

Don't mean to teach you how to suck eggs. Just pointing this out for reference. :)

To chamber the next round easier.

If this was an answer to the "Why?" post then I guess you realise you're way off-base, right? ;)

Well, the tilting action does also help to feed the next round from the magazine - with real firearms that is. In airsoft guns the feed ramp and inner barrel are stationary through the whole cycle.

I think current GBB pistols mimic the tilting barrel quite nicely, except for a few models (like the KJ USP) that have a separate fake chamber to drop down in the rear, but the outer barrel actually stays put.

Is the amount of tilt really that essential to explain how a browning short recoil system works?

-Sale

As opposed to those on TM's replicas of metal framed guns ;)

I guess the question to the OP is which guns DO you want that have this feature and then I'd suggest you look around at review images of the slide locked back on the gun and see if the degree of tilit is realistic enough for you.

Cheers.

As opposed to those on TM's replicas of metal framed guns ;)

I guess the question to the OP is which guns DO you want that have this feature and then I'd suggest you look around at review images of the slide locked back on the gun and see if the degree of tilit is realistic enough for you.

Cheers.

Just anything besides glocks...the Maruzen P99 looked good, but those are very difficult to find. What about the USP full size series? Basically any gun with an external hammer really...

Evan

Basically any gun with an external hammer really...

Evan

Wrong. The Beretta 92, Walther P38, Walther PP/PPK, Automag and Desert Eagle all have external hammers but the barrels don't tilt. As stated earlier by Stealthbomber it is only guns that have a Browning / Modified Browning Lockup that have a tilting barrel.

As for the "Why" I posted earlier I mean't why do you care? I like my guns authentic but this is just a bit to anal for even me. After all when you fire the gun the realism is blown anyway by the lack of ejecting cartrige case and noise/smoke.

Wrong. The Beretta 92, Walther P38, Walther PP/PPK, Automag and Desert Eagle all have external hammers but the barrels don't tilt. As stated earlier by Stealthbomber it is only guns that have a Browning / Modified Browning Lockup that have a tilting barrel.

As for the "Why" I posted earlier I mean't why do you care? I like my guns authentic but this is just a bit to anal for even me. After all when you fire the gun the realism is blown anyway by the lack of ejecting cartrige case and noise/smoke.

Little misunderstanding. He says he wants a gun that has barrel tilting and an external hammer - not that all guns with external hammers have Browning locking. I don't think he's talking about how it looks during firing but how it is when the slide's locked back for a photo, plus it's just a neat thing to have.

Umm... I think he meant that he's looking for any gun with an external hammer, that also has a pronounced barrel tilt.

So far I'd say the KSC SP2340/SP2009 are the best bet. Those outer barrels tilt like nothing I've ever seen.

-Sale

Archived