Which Colt M1911 to get ?

Laursen

Hi all...

I'm new to airsoft and I'm thinking of getting a Colt M1911 as my first GBB. I've been reading about the different ones from different companies but I can't really decide on which to get.

The one I've been suggested the most is the Tokyo Marui and the KJ Works. I really like the KJW because it's in metal but the internals should be better in the TM. The heavier slide on the KJW would also add to a more subtle blowback but using a more powerful gas could help with that issue.

I was also suggested Western Arms or some customs from TM but they are difficult to get and expensive because I live in Denmark, so they need to be imported.

I'm mostly interested in one from KJ Works but does anyone know how the two compare to each other regarding performance, assambly, wear and tear etc. ?

Regards,

Jakob Laursen

I would wait for the TM MEU, unless you specifically want an M1911A1. The M1911A1 is good gun, but I prefer better sights and ergonomics.

I own both a WA M1911 variant and a TM M1911A1, personally I prefer the WA, but then the WA costed me a bit more, I guess the TM would be a better starter gun, lots of cheap parts, but the pot metal rails used in the frame seems to be a bit weak.

But when it comes to ergonomics I prefer my KSC G19 HW over both my 1911s.

Unless you buy some sort of aftermarket frame that comes with CNC Al rail, most airsoft GBB's slide rail are pot metal, AFAIK, so is WA....

TM 1911A1 or the new MEU will be a good starter GBB, however they will both suffer from gas consumption issue(compare to their BB load) if you use Green gas or propane, simply because they are single stack pistol and yet loads 26-28 rounds, as opposed to WA's 14 rounds. As mentioned unless you specifically wants a Colt GI style 1911A1, you will probably better off getting a TM MEU due to the better sight and modern controls.

From the full metal clones, I think both KJW and Bell comes with good review, compatible with TM parts, and both are full metal. I believe the Bell one even comes with proper trademark. If you plan to upgrade your pistol down the line you probably want to buy genuine TM, if you are just looking for a skirmisher, the clones probably aren't bad.

On a side note, the KSC/KWA 1911A1 also are favorable in their rating. The issue compare to TM is that there are much less aftermarket parts available for them...

It really depends on how much you want to spend. I can't speak for WA 1911's as I have never held one and heard so many different things about them I dont know what to think.

The TM does perform better than the KJW, better range and accuracy. If you think you might want to upgrade later, the TM 1911A1 is your gun.

Not to say the KJW is bad, it's a great gun. It shoots well, but not amazing, and not quite as good as the TM. It's more of a sidearm whereas the TM could be used as a main weapon.

If you want a full metal 1911 that doesnt break the bank, the KJW is the way to go. If you want one of the best 1911A1's upgrade platforms on the market, the TM is your gun.

Personally I would get the TM, but that's because my budget allows me to upgrade my guns a fair amount.

The plastic on the TM is better than the metal on the KJ.

The TM is better all round, and in every aspect.

The TM is a good first GBB and a very good GBB 1911.

Get one, learn how to maintain it, then get something wierd that breaks a lot, but is well worth it.

Out of all the ones I've used, I enjoyed the TM one the most on a tuning standpoint, and the KWA PTP model for that out of the box performance standpoint. The KJW one left a lot to be desired, and the Wei-Tech one had far too many problems. The WA was incredible, but it was a bit expensive.

The TM one I liked because I could tune it and customize it to exactly what I want it to be. KWA PTP is because it's crisp, smooth, 95% metal, and shoots 340fps out of the box. Both are great, but it depends on what you want to do. If you want to build it and have proper trades, I'd get the TM. If all you want is something good out of the box to shoot, I'd get the KWA PTP.

Personally having fired the TM, Bell and WE i would say go for the TM overall.

The KJ metal is often low quality.

The WA is too expensive.

The WE has occasional problems.

The Bell is a bit cheap and nasty.

The TM is best for a a new player as they offer lots of conversion, good range and accuracy and feel nice and slim in the hand.

Oh and to those who go on about the mag capacity to gas capacity on 134a, Ultra and Green i seem to get a whole mag out and lock back the slide afterwards, everytime.

'FireKnife'

I've had two of the new KJW since they came out. They are excellent 1911A1's.

Build materials and finish are first rate. Power, range and accuracy are very very good and power is higher than the TM, the range and accuracy are nearly identical.

I've had the change to put both brands of pistols up against each other, and they are both first class. However, if you want full metal and dont want to pay for a "kit", than the KJW is definately the way to go.

I went to an airsoft store today and took at look at the different 1911A1's. Basically it's only the KWA, KJW and TM that are available here in Denmark, others such as WA, Bell etc. needs to be imported from Asia which is pretty expensive, almost twice the price due to taxes and customs.

I decided to go with the KWJ as I was comparing the KJW and the TM and couldn't see much difference in finish and so... The KJW also had all the trademarks. I test fired both and I used a more high powered gas in the KJW than in the TM and also couldn't feel much difference in blowback etc.

Heres a picture of my newly acquired Colt 1911A1.

colt01.jpg

colt09.jpg

Thanks for all the help to everyone !

Regards

Jakob

TM is also green safe so you could of use it with that. Personally i think you got the wrong one, but that's only because i have a TM 1911 and know how good they are, but i havent seen the KJW. I have, however, owned a kjw before and i wasnt all that impressed, needless to say it didnt live very long :(

But im sure yours will be fine, enjoy ;)

RacingManiac, I know that most stock GBBs have pot metal rails, but the ones on the TM are pretty thin and the material isn't the best I've seen. Then as far as I know, none of the after market metal kits for the TM has their own rails, but uses the stock ones.

Theres nothing at all wrong with the rails on the TM 1911. I've had mine since they came out using only propane and have dropped it a few too many times sometimes popping the slide off and it still works fine and the rails are sill very much intact as is the stock plastic slide.

In short TM 1911's are bomb proof.

I'm going to join the chorus and wave a flag for TM if you want the best performance out of the box.

If you'd rather have a metal pistol but don't like the idea of heavy pot-metal, take a look at this: http://redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/...il?prodID=25062

TM 1911 based, metal with CNC-parts and a PDI winter piston head, 399.0 USD... Not bad at all.

-Sale

You made a good choice and wont be disappointed. It's a strong pistol and very well made. If you take notice of the various topics in this forum, you will see that there are very few complaints about the new KJW 1911A1 and I've seen many of them on the field, some used by die hard TM owners, and they've had nothing but good things to say about it.

There have been a lot of changes at KJW. It's just like some of the AEG makers who, when they first came out, were thought of as junk. They now get "rave reviews". Things change and sometimes for the better.

A smart consumer would be mistaking by not taking a long look at these pistols.

Archived