How much does your gear weigh?

mcnuggets

Yeah ok, it's probably because we have different (read: max 30C in the summer, and often rain) weather here that i rarely experience good use of camel backs at skirmish days.

I'm sorry if i didn't clarify it; what i meant was that i don't bring water with me in game, but leave it at spawn/safezone, which i visit with 1 hour intervals.

IIRC, Denmark and the UK dont have a drastically different climate, and mid summer Heat stroke is a major concern(except of course when it is raining).

I normally Drink from either from a Waterbottle or camble back whenever I get the oppertunity in game(whenever im standing still). And out of game I always drink one variety of Isotonic drink, all just to replace vital fluids and salts etc. That you loose while running around so I dont think that Water is a Dead weight. Having said that I still empty a bit of water out at the end of games.

Anyway, I was runing through my head what I normally have with me (On the field as it were)at an Open day skirmish

PLCE Webbing

4X 3 Mag Pouches(Mags, Speedloader and Grenades)

2X Utility Pouches, (Waterbottle, Bag of BB's, Spair Battery, FA Kit)

1X PLCE Holster (Side Arm varies. 1 Spair Mag)

1X Hydration Pouch

1X Respirator Pouch(Left at Cache)(More Ammo, Speedloader, Gas, battery, Grenades, Basic Tool Kit, Water & Snacks)

Soldier 95 Jacket(Multi Tool, Mobile, Whistle, Small Compass, Haribo, Fags)

You will have to forgive me though because Im not sure how much it weighs In total.

But you have to admit camouflage in general works better the further away you are. With real steel ranges camouflage works well. At airsoft ranges it works less so. So it may not be worth making a ghillie because you 'pay' too much in decreased mobility and increased chance of overheating and such. Probably isn't worth it. Admittedly they are damn cool though.

I Would argue this with you bet their is all ready several threads on whether o not to use a ghilly in the various sections of the forum. However, I would point out that if you are set out as a sniper, you don’t need the same level of mobility as a rifleman with an M4. And once you have found your hide of fire position, you wont be moving anywhere, so a ghilly suit helps Enormously once stationery.

No, not at all. All I was saying there was that guy could probably cut those straps he had hanging out of him and melt the edges to prevent fraying. Saves a few ounces and prevents straps from being all over the place.

Actually Their is a good reason to let the Straps dangle, or to roll them up and tape them. You use them for adjusting kit. If you set it for summer when you are wearing little more than a T shirt and cut the excess strap off, when it comes to winter when you need all that extra clothing(Or in fact if you put on a few extra pounds between games), you will have to buy a new bit of kit. I also don’t think the few ounces you would save doing that would be worth the hassle &/or monetary cost of replacing the LBE.

No, not at all. All I was saying there was that guy could probably cut those straps he had hanging out of him and melt the edges to prevent fraying. Saves a few ounces and prevents straps from being all over the place.

In closing I'm not against the milsim guys at all. I'm just saying that in 'open' games without equipment restrictions they are handicapping themselves by adding on milsim gear that does relatively little. That's all.

What makes you think carrying a few items of kit that seem pointless to you and using magazines that don’t rattle is a handicap? I have played games with kit that guys have come upto me with full on An Peq units all over their MP5K with multiple RIS units and Drum mags(ok an exaggeration) with nothing more than and full period uniform, weapon and Lo or Mid cap mags and STILL had a more enjoyable game. At the End of the day, this is a hobby, We do it for fun, or so Im told, so what is wrong with guys playin in kit they feel comfortable in?.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carrying several litres is a good idea for me because on every game I've been to except one, I've been away from camp/base for hours at a time. Carrying a Powerade bottle of water just wouldn't do it. Some of the guys at my last game ended up drinking out of a flowing river simply because they ran out of water.

The extra three kilos is worth it in my opinion.

My gear has to way less than 5 lbs.

My gun, 8.

I personally carry a water bottle per game because most of our games are short (IE, less than 20 minutes) and we don't usually need water.

I also don't require water for anything, really.

Hour and a half football practices? With punishment running? And I could go without water, easily.

For hydration i do 3 quarts and usually down 1 per hour at most, ill go through all them in a day, not to mention a propel or gatorade for lunch. If its a colder day i can do with a bit less than that, but its usually hot enough to warrant carrying it.

Mcnuggets to rap it all up, whats the point of not praticing in the gear for "open" games that you will need to have squared away and tested for the long games.

/off topic

So a plate that can withstand a hit from a bullet won't survive a 4 foot fall to the ground while inside of a plate carrier? Sure, they are marked handle with care, but I would think they can handle the typical wear and tear of use. ;)

Dood I have dropped my flak from 6 feet up alot and my plates are fine. And for gear weight...I use about 85-100 lbs of kit.

Where I play we have this magic faeries called medics and if a group is anywhere worth their weight its very rare they all get wiped out and thus leaving things at respawn is silly generally. Especially when I can carry it all with me.

And as for the people who have 1 hour games and don't need to carry water, what are you playing? Paintsoft?

And ultimately if you know how to rig and wear a fighting load there's a subtle difference between 10 pounds and 100 pounds. Currently I am wearing one of the heaviest load outs I've worn to date. But my body never feels it becuase its spread across my hips, back, shoulder, etc. Honestly the only thing I've ever felt at the end of the day was my left wrist from using front heavy weapons.

And PASGT's don't incur any form of tunnel vision.

Then why do they say handle with care on them, i guess ive heard conflicting things, sorry for being misinformed.

Becaause they need to whithstand a high velocity round hitting, and they cant do that as well when they are chipped and dented from being thrown around as they can when they are in pristine condition. Of course for airsoft they dont have to be anywhere near being in pristine nick.

Incidentally, I was bored a few months ago so I made a mould for the old UK ceramic plates and cast a couple in plaster of paris, Rather amusing, but no where near as heavy as the real thing.

Dood I have dropped my flak from 6 feet up alot and my plates are fine. And for gear weight...I use about 85-100 lbs of kit.

if your plates are ceramic, i would be aware of nonvisible but internal cracks that can develop from dropping onto a hard surface. hence the recommendation ceramic plates be xrayed on a regular basis to assure internal integrity.

85-100lbs of kit...damn....you must be strong like BULL! you do mounted and dismounted ops right?

if your plates are ceramic, i would be aware of nonvisible but internal cracks that can develop from dropping onto a hard surface. hence the recommendation ceramic plates be xrayed on a regular basis to assure internal integrity.

85-100lbs of kit...damn....you must be strong like BULL! you do mounted and dismounted ops right?

yeah I do both.

t10d parachute which is being phased out. Its capable of delivering 2 fully combat equiped jumpers to the ground. At least thats what they tell us. I think its rated as if the jumpers had 120lbs of gear on. Its just a round chute no steering only slipping with risers. And so far it has not been my friend for soft landings. Smacked pretty hard yesterday with about 5knots of wind on exit.

Actually Their is a good reason to let the Straps dangle, or to roll them up and tape them. You use them for adjusting kit. If you set it for summer when you are wearing little more than a T shirt and cut the excess strap off, when it comes to winter when you need all that extra clothing(Or in fact if you put on a few extra pounds between games), you will have to buy a new bit of kit. I also don’t think the few ounces you would save doing that would be worth the hassle &/or monetary cost of replacing the LBE.

I don't cut the whole thing off but I try to get a healthy amount. Enough to adjust it to my body. I like a nice clean look also. I do this to all of my backpacks (for hiking and everyday) and never had a problem adjusting them to fit again. And once you cut everything out it's amazing how much weight you can save. A few ounces at least. Seems a bit insignificant but once you start doing this to all of your gear you can bring something like a 15lb loadout to 12lbs and still have the same functionality.

I mean if I'm going to be lugging things around all day why torture myself with more weight. I like running and gunning and getting as many eliminations in the day as possible. And it isn't like I'm a shrimpy guy who can't carry this stuff. I'm 6'2" and ~200 lbs. But if my GPS or 50 ft of paracord aren't helping me get eliminations and completing the objective in the game then forget it. Leave it in the car.

What makes you think carrying a few items of kit that seem pointless to you and using magazines that don’t rattle is a handicap?

Its a handicap because it weighs you down. Makes running more difficult. Gets you tired more easily. Makes aiming more difficult with bulky gear on. (Also makes it harder to know if you're hit or not)

(Also need to consider that once you pile on more weight you need bigger, heavier more expensive gear to carry that weight. Boots are needed after a certain point, big bulky vests are needed if you go with lowcaps and carry an average amount of BB's, you need pouches to fit your paracord, GPS and metal canteen cup. All of which make it difficult to register a hit, expensive, bulky)

You have a point about the rattling. It does get annoying and I can see using midcaps for that reason. But if you're measuring efficiency by BB's in magazine over weight nothing really beats a high cap. (Especially if you include magazine pouches and other things to carry magazines into the total weight). Cost wise high caps also beat out low caps and mid caps.

Gun weighs 16

That's pretty beastly. What gun do you have?

Big bulky vests when using anything less then hi-caps? What planet are you from?

Here's my rig. 9 rifle mags, 3 handgun mags, and 7 grenades. Its pretty far from bulky.

DSC02100.jpg

And on the topic of it lowering your effectiveness to have more weight, thats not true in most circumstances. Personal fitness levels count more. I've seen people wearing nothing but BDUs ready to pass out while people with full rigs keep right on going.

And if you wanna measure everything for pure effectiveness the guns we are using are horrible. What we need is a light weight gun that holds a ton of ammo. But then this wouldn't be airsoft.

Archived