Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Fitted a Magpul miad grip today and didnt need to mod or shim the plastic base plate. Anyone else found this with the miad? Set screw was removed when fitting base and when fitted was done till it hit the motor plus about 1/8th of a turn.

I could use mine with the plastic base plate but the brass set screw would protrude past the bottom of the grip. With the metal base plate the set screw is recessed slightly.

• Like 1

I could use mine with the plastic base plate but the brass set screw would protrude past the bottom of the grip. With the metal base plate the set screw is recessed slightly.

You can just tell that my set screw isn't quite as far in as it should be but can't really see it but you can feel its raised out. Might grind back the set screw to correct this.

The R50 is front wired.

All right, dumb question, but are any rear wired? I was hoping to have 2 different uppers(one from my TM SOPMOD and then one from the ARMY clone) as well as 2 different powered lowers, or one as a back up, and just be able to swap uppers easily back and forth.

A question more for RECCE owners. I was about to swap out my RIS this weekend when my tech noticed/remembered that Marui used a proprietary barrel nut that won't even allow the RIS to be removed. Anyone have advice on how to remove the thing? I'm not a fan of the RIS, was planning to swtich to either a URX or mk18 RIS.

My tech's previous encounter with a recce resulted in cutting the RIS off at the customers request.

My guy has pretty much every type of wrench commercially available, nothing would fit in the DD lite rail, his claim was its a Marui proprietary wrench thats needed. It's definitely not a common set-up inside the rail. I need to shoot a pic in the morning. I've got another place I'm thinking bout hitting up, good reliable gun smiths are few and far between in Korea. My regular guy is the best I've found so far. Then again, he hates Marui EBB's haha.

photo_248.JPG

photo_125.JPG

hard to see in the first picture, but the barrel nut is pretty tough to access. anyway, the bigger issue is that the main section of the RIS won't come off the gun when I remove the 6 bolts, the rail system won't come off the bolt system plate. So I can't even get access to the barrel nut. Anyone else have this issue? RIS won't budge. I'm the second owner, but first owner never did anything to the RIS from the factory, least he hasn't told me. Any help, suggestions?

That's the normal DD barrel nut and will undo with a stock tube wrench.

Trouble is the ris should slide off with the 6 bolts removed I'm surprised it doesn't there is no need to glue it on my DD rail is solid and I didn't use glue I don't think TM would glue it on.

Try removing the 6 bolts and tapping the ris with a rubber mallet at the far end from the barrel nut.

To quote Top Gun, "thats a negatory Ghost Rider, the pattern is full." and on the that note, removed the again bolts and the RIS isn't moving. I'll try the swinging around tonight when I get a chance.

I got a killer deal on the trade to get this Recce. Ridiculous is almost an understatement. First trouble sign should've been the glued panels. Leftover glue residue looks real sexy with my ladders on the RIS now.

Quick question , any body had eny experiance of fitting a Dytac Invader rail to a sopmod/ socom ?

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/accessories/r-i-s-r-a-s/for-rifles-aegs/dytac-invader-rail-system-9inch-black.html

Cheers In advance (hopefully) guys .

Edited by druid799

New Army clone has working bolt stop, so it's a viable option for spares or an entry level ebb if you lack funds.

Other than that no big developments the TM hasn't undergone any factory revisions and there are no contenders for the EBB crown. The KWA sounds like an AEG and the Real Sword still hasn't made an appearance.

Is the part circled in red on the R43 have threads inside(tapped)? My TM SOPMOD's lower and buffer tube threads are stripped and I'm considering buying an R43 and just putting my SOPMOD's guts into the R43 lower. I'm trying to see if it's tapped so I can keep it rear wired.

hole-1.jpg

Edited by Alexm757

I have R-Hopped installed on my TM EBB Sopmod, and all i can say is wow....

I Switched back to stock spring, I use .28G bbs shooting at 260 fps. I used it at Op: BlackSheep up at Fort Drum, and I was lacing Alpha from over 200 feet. All you needed was just a little hop, and the R-Hop works it's magic. With a higher fps spring, you can easily get over 300 feet.