Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Dammit I didn't want to wait for the hopup to come back in stock so I bought the one on ebay. I bought it on my phone and there was an error and I ended up buying two *face palm*

I emailed the seller and hopefully he'll cancel one of them, if not I now have two hopup units haha....i did consider having a longer barrel setup when I ran my gemtech supressor, guess I will now haha.

Back from a mini vacation. Parts came in while I was away. Everything was there when I got back. I received these parts and installed em on my TM M4 SOCOM EBB.

FF 10.5" CQB Outer Barrel

Prometheus Air Seal Nozzle

Lonex 5.9mm Metal Bushings

SHS Reinforced Gear Set

ARS Sorbo Pad

Being 5'5", the 14.5" inner barrel got in the way when I had my gun slung via a bungee sling. I also play more CQB (indoors) than outdoor games. And so, I opted for the 10.5" outer barrel. I've installed one before on my first TM M4 SOCOM...and now, on the new SOCOM that I got, I had to have it again. :P. It cost me $65 from AEX :P

The stock TM air nozzle performed adequately. The Prometheus Air Nozzle offered an o-ring sealed rear which aids in more efficient air seal. Seeing as it was only $15 from AEX (where as it cost more else where), I had to pick it up.

I was looking for cheaper alternatives to upgrade my SOCOM M4. The Lonex 5.9mm metal bushings and SHS reinforced gear set fit the bill price wise. When I got the items, I thought that the Lonex metal bushings were well made. The metal used isn't soft metal. It is some sort of a steel alloy. It had oil channels. Personally, I wasn't a fan of oil channels on metal bushings as I have seen worn down guarder double oil channel steel bushings. Oil channels meant lesser material holding the shafts in place and quicker wear. Fortunately, the oil channels were shallow. I'm certain that these would hold up better than the standard 6mm double oil channel steel bushings made by guarder. The bushings fit perfectly on the holes for the bushings which required minimal force using my fingers when I installed them. I've seen stock nylon (white) bushings off of TM AEG's break though I've seen them hold up to a good amount of abuse i.e. holding down on a g36c that has a box mag using a 9.6v large battery with the gun shooting 385 fps. The Lonex 5.9mm Bushings are a steal at $9 a set. I say get yourself a set or two (for your next next gen AEG :P)

I was initially concerned about HK/ACM gear sets as the Marui Pinion gear doesn't mesh well with some of the bevel gears. I decided to take a gamble on the SHS gear set for the next gen m4 as I figured...well, I have other motors (that had different pinion gears) which meant I can play around with the motors to see which sounded the best. I also figured that I could just use the stock bevel gear as its the hardest on the stock gear set (metal wise). Besides, I heard that its really the last tooth on the sector gear that wears down.

I am happy to report however that the SHS gear set for the next gen m4 works very well. The metal used is similar to ACM AEG's like JG and such. While some may be put off by these, their stock gear sets are very durable. Often times they are even put through high FPS (450+) and higher ROF (30+) combinations. I have no doubt that these would handle pretty much whatever you threw its way for gaming purposes. IMO, it will be the piston that will be the weak link due to its half tooth design. For those wondering about the sound of the gear set combined with the stock TM EG1000 motor...All I can say is that its pretty close to sounding like they were stock gears of not dead on to sounding like the stock gears. I see no reason to spend more than the $20.50 these things cost (cheaper on some retailers).

The last Item on my list was the ARS sorbothane padding for the cylinder head. It cost $25 shipped for one ($9 for one plus $16 for shipping). I have had to use these on marui/systema gearboxes that had the Dual Sector Gear Sets in them as gearboxes were prone to cracking on setups that were shooting 50-60+ rounds per second. I have had no gearbox develop hair line fractures after using these so I thought...why not use em on the next gen m4? As noted, I had to remove the first tooth after the pick up tooth as the angle of engagement was adjusted with the use of this padding. No more worries about busting my gearbox ever!

---------------------

Right now, my gun is shooting 370-75 FPS with .20g BBs. I have a stock inner barrel that was cut down to about 284mm....

FYI promy do a 260mm barrel for cqb sopmods

If you could link a picture of the shs gears , I'm pretty sure they are from the same factory as the hornbill ones so I'm currently not motivated to stock the shs if they are identical.

If you fitting 5.9mm anything it will be a looser fit than 6mm bearings so you should invest in bearing lock for a tight fit of the bearings or bushings.

I've never seen a Sopmod gearbox crack but if your used to installing Sorbo then go for it but it's defiantly not needed just to clarify for anyone worrying about there casing. I've got m120 recoil springs which put out about 420 fps and there's no cracks. For some reason the casings stronger than normal v2 boxes.

I've got 2 weeks in Scotland coming up so I'll have some spare time stuck in a hotel room in the evenings I will do a new guide including common failure points as I know lots of my info gets lost in this thread.

I've got 2 weeks in Scotland coming up so I'll have some spare time stuck in a hotel room in the evenings I will do a new guide including common failure points as I know lots of my info gets lost in this thread.

You mean you're not gonna be in the bar with all that single malt whiskey and scottish hospitality? :D

Seriousy though, a guide would be superb... :)

One thing i'm confused about it what gear sets are the best... and also with new gears, i'll need new bearings and news bushes?

The Lonex bushings required to be press fitted. They did not fall into the holes for the bushings without effort. They were snug and required for your thumb to press fit them (as were the stock plastic bushings).

The SHS gear set is already in the gun. From the photos of the Hornbill ones, they look spot on. If I'm not mistaken, they go for as low as $13 USD.

I've heard of the 260mm Prometheus barrels. I am however more inclined to use the 285mm so I can take advantage of the o-ring that keeps the inner barrel secure embedded in the bore of the outer barrel. With that piece locking the inner barrel in place, there's virtually no movement of the tip of the outer barrel which maximizes accuracy.

------------------------

Found a link to a retailer that has the SHS/ Hornbill? Steel Gear Set for the TM M4 Recoil Shock for $13.

http://www.get-reload.com/shs-full-steel-original-torque-up-gear-set-for-new-gen-m4-p-772.html

-----------------------

TK4235-

You don't absolutely need to change the bushings when you change the gear set. The main reason I switched over to metal bushings is because I wanted to eliminate the possibility (however unlikely it is to happen) of the stock nylon bushings to break....not wear down, but break. I mean if you think about it, the Lonex metal bushings only cost $9. IMO its worthwhile to invest in one and have it installed while your gearbox is open. Do it once and you won't have to worry about it again.

-----------------------

Same thing with the Sorbothane padding, I had the gearbox open...might as well install the sorbothane padding. Just as the metal bushings eliminate the possibility of part failure (stock plastic bushings cracking), the sorbothane padding also virtually eliminates the possibility of the gearbox shell cracking (no matter how unlikely it may happen)....reducing that possibility further saves you time and money in the long run. Sorbothane padding on the cylinder head...can't go wrong with it :P

Edited by sacairsoftsn00py

First time to Scotland so who knows ! Works forking out for it, fancy hotel and everything. Might just sit in my room binging on battered mars bars that's Scottish right ?

Yeah shs do a second set which are slightly more advanced looking Ie balance holes etc did know if those where them or not bit sounds like they are identical to the hornbill now you've compared that's cool Ill stock with the hornbill then as trade price is the same for both for me.

Want to get some golf in while I'm up there but other than that and training on the company intranet I should have lots of time for a new upgrade guide. But also a guide on common failure points and things you can do to stop that happening.

The last Item on my list was the ARS sorbothane padding for the cylinder head. It cost $25 shipped for one ($9 for one plus $16 for shipping). I have had to use these on marui/systema gearboxes that had the Dual Sector Gear Sets in them as gearboxes were prone to cracking on setups that were shooting 50-60+ rounds per second. I have had no gearbox develop hair line fractures after using these so I thought...why not use em on the next gen m4? As noted, I had to remove the first tooth after the pick up tooth as the angle of engagement was adjusted with the use of this padding. No more worries about busting my gearbox ever!

my TM M4A1 EBB shoot 380 fps. after thousands of rounds my gearbox cracked :( . now i think i should follow your advice. I just ordered a new replacement gearbox and some upgrade bits from echigoya.

gearbox.jpg

my TM M4A1 EBB shoot 380 fps. after thousands of rounds my gearbox cracked :( . now i think i should follow your advice. I just ordered a new replacement gearbox and some upgrade bits from echigoya.

gearbox.jpg

######, not nice to see

Update: Just checked echigoya and see its only $29 for a new gearbox, I expected more.

Edited by akiraspeedstar

yup.the price of the replacement gearbox is not bad. i will try the sorbo padding mentioned by sacairsoftsnoopy. i hope after i put all the new parts my gearbox wont crack anymore. finger cross.

i will also lower my FPS to 360. i hate to open and close my gearbox very often.i want it to last longer and ready to fire anytime i want without any worry to fail.

What modifications do you have in regards to internals?

prometheus piston,magic box piston head,promotheus torque up gear, pdi spring ( cut into short), magicbox metal bushing, prometheus noozle, ported cylinder, pdi 6.04 barrel. torque up motor.

. i just added bearing spring guide and new gearbox. the sorbo not yet ordered.

the

That is quite a concern and a sad sight to see... I thought that gearbox cracking was a thing of the past.....?

At least the replacement gearbox shells are cheap...

If you dry fire your weapon a lot, you're more likely to get the dreaded cracked gearbox shell. Pair that with the cold weather months that will be coming up and it won't be good. I'm just saying....When I put things together, I look towards longevity of the gun as I like shooting my guns. By shelling out 25 bucks for the sorbo padding, I kept myself from spending$45 ($29 + $16 shipping) for an eventual gearbox shell failure and saved me from more hours spent working on the gun.

I'm eying on the Prometheus Piston and Piston Head now for that extra piece of mind.I'm sure my stock Marui piston will hold up a while as my gun is only shooting 14-15 rounds a second at 370ish FPS with .20g BBs...I may get a new bearing spring guide later on. Its not a priority as replacing it will not require tearing down the gearbox.

I'm hung up on a mosfet........gotta get me a set for it but I haven't made my mind up about which one to get.

cold weathers more likely a culprit than dry fire myth. First time ive seen a crack though. I ll allow them 1 hehe...

This is why the cylinder head from prometheus is a good upgrade becuase it comes with nice new thick padding. The key is new as its soft. Tm cylinder heads harden over time thus increasing the odds of gearbox cracking on suceptable gearboxes. The clone cylinder heads are even worse for it in normal aegs.

Like i say ive run m120s here in sopmods 420 fps .. fps isnt the issue, more likely just a failure of part or parts. we would need to see multiple for it to be a concern.

Not sure why you guys are running cut down springs, i didnt make the eagle6 springs just for the jollys. Tried, tested and the right length for your sopmod.

Richard, you should bring a sopmod and get some gaming done.

That will go down well i think, sitting in a hotel room, in the dark, in the corner, in a chair holding a sopmod m4.

In walks house keeping...

"did you ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light.............."

richard on the news..........

• Like 1

I'll stick to my Sorbothane Padding over the Prometheus Cylinder Head. Its cheaper, provides better cushioning, and adjusts the angle of engagement on pistons. The brass nozzle on the TM cylinder heads have held up. I'll admit that a one piece cylinder head makes for better efficiency and durability over the stock plastic/brass nozzle cylinder head build that the stock Marui AEG's come with but the stock cylinder head functions and holds up just fine. I might be wrong but I have yet to see anyone say that they developed cracks on their gearboxes after installing them Sorbothane padding.

The fact that the gearbox shell cracked once means that its possible that it could happen again. I've seen gearbox shells with metal cylinder heads crack. The Sorbothane Padding is a proven "fix" as a preventative measure for cracked gearboxes that's why I personally prefer them over the Prometheus Cylinder Head.

Why run cut down springs? Why not? Regular AEG springs are available and well...cheaper. I'll be honest, I didn't want to have to shell out $100 for a gear set. That's why I opted with the SHS gear set. Now, if the SHS/Hornbill gearsets sounded like ###### with any of the motors I had laying around...I would dump the gear set and pick up a set of Prometheus ones as I like my guns sounding smooth. Fortunately, they don't whine. I spent $20.50 for the set (plus shipping) and not $100 for something that does the same thing. The Promy gear sets are super nice and I'm sure they sound super smooth as well but I'm extremely happy with my $20 gear set...$80 saved which would end up being spent on a Promy piston and piston head (when my piston decides to ###### out on me).

BTW, Rich...have you had a significant amount of cases where the stock TM piston has broken? I know that the release tooth on the pistons will eventually wear down and that the Promy piston's release tooth on their pistons are more resistant to wear. For that reason...I will be getting them in the future (sooner if them darn drop in mosfets for these things get released).

I understand that you have your business RIch and that you have loads of experience with the EBB series. Kudos to you and thanks for all the helpful posts with regard to the system...they have been extremely helpful to everyone.

A business which started with a few guys on here including me wanting a spring for the sopomd m4 and i said why the hell dont i make some... and here we are 3 years later :D, over a 600 springs sold floating around some where :o

crazy....

Ill continue to stock sopmod related stuff and getting stuff in to help out the community, its what i do. Granted nowadays theres lots of people selling stuff but some of the guys on here remember when it was just me :D Trying to source what i can of parts which where slowly coming out 1 upgrade release at a time. Yup these are different times now for sopmod owners... easy access and lots of stock, and LOTS of different upgrades to choose from.

Yay the whole dry fire things a myth theres no way a bb can stop a spring kicking out something like 20 nm of torque on release. IF the bb where heavier maybe something to cuase some sort of pressure or slowdown on the spring then maybe but its basically like a truck pushing a person... the bb will always move first before the spring does, there fore the springs impact is the same, there is simpley an audioable change when adding a bb into the chamber like adding a silencer, it changes the sound therefore eveyone assumes it makes a difference. But this is a can of worms arguement everyone believes something different.

V2 gearboxes crack when firing .. it doesnt mater if its dry or otherwise.

Last year echigoya shifted about 10000 units of sopmod so we might as well assume with all the other suppliers of guns out there theres at least 100000 units of sopmod out there in the last 3 years.... this is the first gearbox crack ive seen....

Thems be the kind of ratios i likes .......

For the record i tested a cut down spring on a spring rating test machine its rating was uncalculable due to its cut nature and variable spring starting point... My springs for the win, and for more consitency shot to shot. Im not forcing them on any one but they do rock ;)

Edited by Richard Y

I'm eying on the Prometheus Piston and Piston Head now for that extra piece of mind.I'm sure my stock Marui piston will hold up a while as my gun is only shooting 14-15 rounds a second at 370ish FPS with .20g BBs...I may get a new bearing spring guide later on. Its not a priority as replacing it will not require tearing down the gearbox.

I'm hung up on a mosfet........gotta get me a set for it but I haven't made my mind up about which one to get.

I've gone and ordered a whole lot of Prommy internals except the gears and bearings (which if i'm being honest forgot to order... lol)... I figured I may aswell do the upgrade and see how the gun will perform..

Incidentally, regarding a mosfett, i hear there is a new Stealth one coming out for the SOPMOD? Can anyone enlighten me?

LoL! I'm not gonna touch the dry firing/ cracked gearbox any longer :lol: Can of worms opened but I'm not digging in HAHA!

There's just a relatively small market for drop in mosfet switches for the SOPMOD/SOCOM crowd. I doubt any will be released soon. I mean the v.2 and v.3 switches sell out super quickly already. Why not fulfill the demand of that before starting a new one?

I can see extreme fire mosfets working as the wiring on those are variable. So long as you're not dead set on using a 16 gauge wire....you can stick a mosfet in the gun. For anything under 400 FPS, the stock wiring is sufficient to run the system IMO. It'll be nice to have thicker gauge wiring but the space for which the wires go to is very limited without modifications.