What's your favourite Airsoft Magazine?

GuzziHero

I know money makes the world go round, but I find the high content ratio in AS to be a major selling point.

I think its fair to say that for years now most magazines have a lot of advertising in there issue, just check out any computer mag and or mens mag.

I read a lot of magazines that have tons of ads in them. Especially American magazines are like that. Perhaps the distribution numbers of the magazines are so high that businesses are more willing to buy advertisement space. The US is simply a huge market. If the magazine was to increase rates for advertisement space, they'd lose some of the advertisers and make more money of the remaining ones, but then they would have to produce content for the blanks where the ads used to be. ;)

It's good to hear that our relationship with ads is noticed by our readers. As I said before, we want people to buy the magazine and keep buying it – it's business. I believe that a high quality magazine will get us more loyal customers, even though it has taken a lot of hard work to get the wheels turning. It's an investment aimed at a longer distance.

The adverts don't bother me that much, but the skantly clad women in adverts and also showng a girl skirmishing with her top open exposing skin was a bit too much for me. But as has already been said its up to the person wanting to place the advert who choose's what picture to take for it.

Magazines are 100% in charge of anything on their pages. For example if an advertiser wanted them to print something obviously illegal, the editor-in-chief would go down together with the advertiser if he/she allowed it.

The magazine can tell the advertisers to modify the advertisement, or choose not to print it at all – if they have the integrity to do that. Only if the magazine is partially owned by a certain business, they may have a say in the matter, but in that case I would question whether the magazine is impartial or not.

Airsoft Soldier reserves the right to choose what we print. If you find anything wrong anywhere in the magazine, even if it's an advertisement, we are the right address for the complaint. I would actually prefer that the feedback is sent our way.

Thanks,

Sauli L-M

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gadge you forget to mention selling advertising as well, Im curious to know why if your so happy with the lack of advertising in your publication you have someone selling (rather badly IMO) your advertising for you in the UK

It’s a cert way for you to devalue your product and sets the value of your ad pages ( which correct me if I’m wrong is 150 for this particular client) when your rate card is around 700 quid a page.

Anyway guys Im going to leave it here before this turns into a *badgeress* slapping contest, thanks for all of your posts and as I have said in the past

My numbers are always available

DD 01622 692 885

Cell 07736 809241

Al the best

Paul

Always good to know a magazine you are buying is open to constructive criticism, key word here is constructive. Its a good an bad thing the internet (As in hwo most people prefer to read it on the net as to a magazine) one post can ruin a topic or it can make it even more indepth. Its how we learn more about what we are buying.

Paul, good to know you weren't prepared to answer my query regarding the copy/paste of material straight from online sources.

I consider your lack of reply to the initial email and continued silence when politely queried in this thread full admission of guilt in this matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism#Journalism

To comply with Wikipedia's Copyleft I'd like to cite the source for the following quote as from the above link.

Journalism

Since journalism's main currency is public trust, a reporter's failure to honestly acknowledge their sources undercuts a newspaper or television news show's integrity and undermines its credibility. Journalists accused of plagiarism are often suspended from their reporting tasks while the charges are being looked into by the news organization.[6]

The ease with which electronic text can be reproduced from online sources has lured a number of reporters into acts of plagiarism: Journalists have been caught "copying-and-pasting" articles and text from a number of websites.

I still prefer a magazine than holding together a fair few pages of a4 on the ######. Watching video reviews means you have to pause or rewind, where as if it is a picture and text based its much easier to take your time.

Must admit I'm old fashioned when it comes to most things, I still buy CD's as I like to hold and look at them 9Also I liek to shop aroudn in the real word as I like the experience), don't know why as I can easily read the track list on line. That said I still like listening to vinyl as I think certain old tracks sound better.

Each to there own as is always the case with hobbys, funny how you can have a common ground (Airsoft) but then have so many different views on how it should be done in that hobby.

Im curious to know why if your so happy with the lack of advertising in your publication you have someone selling (rather badly IMO) your advertising for you in the UK

Not a complete lack of advertising, but a lower limit to how many pages we allow ads to take over.

It’s a cert way for you to devalue your product and sets the value of your ad pages ( which correct me if I’m wrong is 150 for this particular client) when your rate card is around 700 quid a page.

Got a source for that? I have totally different information, and we are the ones who actually make this magazine. Our advertisers recognize quality, and we don't need to sell out pages at almost -80% discounts as you suggest.

Anyway guys Im going to leave it here before this turns into a *badgeress* slapping contest, thanks for all of your posts

So you throw a few shouts in the air and then take your toys off the playground? I don't see why I should call you about something you said on a public forum. If you stick around, your slaps and remarks will not be returned from our side, so that much for the "competition".

What I would like to read is a reasonable response to the actual discussion going on – not limited to my post.

Thanks,

Sauli L-M

P.S. ThumpMaster6, I'm all for the internet when it comes to speedy information. That's why our magazine doesn't even have a page titled "News", because it would be lagging behind by default. Printed media still has advantages and a special appeal to it, and I think e-Zines and magazines can easily co-exist and provide different things for their readers. It's easy to "live and let live" when a reader is happy to subscribe to Airsoft Soldier and read USASOC Airsoft Magazine as well.

-same

When I was into motor racing I use to buy on average 6 magazines a month (Auto sport, F1 RAcing and that other F1 mag that isn't published any more). I'd happily buy the same amount of airsoft mags if they where available as I like having something to read for my journey into work or when am chillin' out at the end of the day.

Found reading books by ex servcie men on the train use to get me a little too awake when going to work for my liking.

Exactly. its not like folk only ever surf one forum, likewise i see no reason why you cant read two or three magazines or e-zines if the mood takes your fancy.

I always find it amusing that folk will happily spend ludicrous ammount on their hobby without question (i'm just as bad) like £200 replica or real deal *ballistic armour*... or get so drunk on £40 of beer that they dont even remember going out (now *thats* a waste of money...

But find £4 for a magazine too much.

Its all luxury purchases, you dont *need* any of it, you buy what makes you happy, if it doesnt then you dont. Spending hours online moaning about something doesnt actually change very much, surely better to invest that energy in writing great copy for either AI, AS or the online US mag whose name escapes me right now...

Paul, good to know you weren't prepared to answer my query regarding the copy/paste of material straight from online sources.

I consider your lack of reply to the initial email and continued silence when politely queried in this thread full admission of guilt in this matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism#Journalism

To comply with Wikipedia's Copyleft I'd like to cite the source for the following quote as from the above link.

You could also add to your list:

RAIDER, issue 1, May 08: article entitled "16 Air Assault Brigade: The Pathfinder Platoon" copied from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathfinder_platoon

RAIDER, issue 2, June 08: article entitled "The US Army's Combat Uniform" copied text and photos from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Combat_Uniform and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Combat_Shirt

RAIDER, issue 2, June 08: article entitled "August Westland EH101" copied from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EH101

Plus the RAIDER articles about MARPAT, CADPAT, ACU, M4 SOPMOD, etc. all copied from Wikipedia - but attributed to one of the staff writers. Probably many more as well, but I didn't waste any more of my money buying any issues after number 3.

Ai articles about Tactical Tailor and Safariland were copied from the company's websites - but attributed to PM. Probably many more "Real-Deal" and "Wannabe" articles were copied directly from Wikipedia too, but attributed to PM - if anyone has the back issues and feels inclined to check...

So, I guess its not so hard to see why Ebcon publishing has been tarred with that brush after all...

Richie, that AIM thing is pretty much exactly the same as AI now :( It's pretty rubbish.

Its brand new though, and they make the effort of getting around to all the sites to do the articles too.

Its only on its 3rd issue out tomorrow i think, but its a bit cheaper than AI and its the content is far better, plus its not from wiki either., :D

I have to say having read just one article in Airsoft Digest, it's probably one of the most useful articles I've read in any of the magazines I've tried.

Deoderising Gear

This IS the kind of information I like, I've downloaded this months free edition, but if all of their articles are this useful, I'm sold.

(EDIT: sweet irony, it's sponsored by AI, lol.)

Archived