Modify V2 gearbox!

SlickAxe

we all know about the v2 weakness. but there are remedies that exist and modify need not worry about it.

Eh? Other than radiusing the corners of the cylinder window (which i'd hope they do) or just getting hold of an MT Haynes CNC machined gearbox what remedies are there?

And don't say the Ajax STS, because from everything i've seen and read that just allows you to continue to use a cracked gearbox in an Armalite, absolutely no help to anyone with a G3 or MP5.

That doesn't make much sense to me. You will notice that kind of failures in the instant they happen (big crack sound, horrible grinding sound, no air pressure). And if your gun is toast, you will have to take the gearbox apart to actually fix it. Still I see no real gain there. On the other hand the big holes make this gearbox a dust magnet.

Makes plenty of sense to me.

I've stripped (and seen stripped) pistons without any "big crack sound".

I've seen stripped pistons and stripped gears make the same noises.

I've had to order parts (and so have my friend) that I don't have on hand to fix the above problems. If I had to diagnose the problem by opening the mechbox first (so I know what parts to order), I'd have had to close the mechbox backup after diagnosis and reopen it for repair, or leave it open until the parts arrive. The windows on the side of the Modify mechbox eliminates the above hassles.

Eh? Other than radiusing the corners of the cylinder window (which i'd hope they do) or just getting hold of an MT Haynes CNC machined gearbox what remedies are there?

And don't say the Ajax STS, because from everything i've seen and read that just allows you to continue to use a cracked gearbox in an Armalite, absolutely no help to anyone with a G3 or MP5.

1. sorbo pads help

2. radiusing helps

2. you dont need to empty that high cap

3. you dont need an M130

i have never broken or cracked a v2 gearbox and the only AEGs i ever used were clone mp5s.

You don't need to assemble the broken gearbox. Put it into a shoebox and the rest of the gun into a bag. Then put them away until you have the replacement parts. You saved plenty of time.

I take down my guns ONLY when they have some serious issue. "If it ain't broke, dpn't fix it." I take the gearbox apart if there is no visible cause of the performance degradation or the internal gearbox faliure is evident. Never really needed to peak inside the gearbox.

Finally on some V2 guns, it takes longer to get the gearbox out then to take apart and re-assemble the gearbox (like the TM M16VN).

You don't need to assemble the broken gearbox. Put it into a shoebox and the rest of the gun into a bag. Then put them away until you have the replacement parts. You saved plenty of time.

I take down my guns ONLY when they have some serious issue. "If it ain't broke, dpn't fix it." I take the gearbox apart if there is no visible cause of the performance degradation or the internal gearbox faliure is evident. Never really needed to peak inside the gearbox.

Finally on some V2 guns, it takes longer to get the gearbox out then to take apart and re-assemble the gearbox (like the TM M16VN).

Hmmm...personally I dunno if I'd agree with that kind of recommendation. I've got AEGs not used in like a year and personally I'd recommend gearbox service at least once a year - primarily cleanup & grease change. Of course if I didn't I'm sure the gearbox would still function but not necessarily efficiently.

I guess I'm used to TM guns. Their gearboxes are dry or lightly greased but still run for years without any problem. Chinese guns, whole different story.

Yes I got your point about the sound issue, however there are other noticable symptoms. Actually, can you tell any serious internal faliure which does not degrade the performance or renders the gun inoperable (running but BBs are not flying)?

Someone email them and tell them to put a sorbo pad inside, correct the AoE, shave the second and some of the third piston tooth off and maybe have a MOSFET in stock form. Would be the greatest drop in ever, with literally no opening before putting to use required.

Someone email them and tell them to put a sorbo pad inside, correct the AoE, shave the second and some of the third piston tooth off and maybe have a MOSFET in stock form. Would be the greatest drop in ever, with literally no opening before putting to use required.

Most of the Modify pistons on WGC already have the second tooth removed, they did some where the second tooth had been totally removed and the 2 after had been shaved down.

But everything above and radiusing would make an excellent drop-in, wouldn't be cheap but it'd be worth it.

Why don't you email them?

i emaled tham a couple days ago. i got a reply today. here is the content of the reply:

Thanks for your e-mail.

Yes, the idea is comes from the machine of watch. You might have seen some watches have the machine been hollowed out. We name our gearbox Torus. Here the hole technic is both a easy way for service your gearbox and art.

However, I think the picture you saw was the gearbox blank. There are a lot of improvements would be made, such as the screw......

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards

so yeah. its a maintenance/artsy thing...

I wonder what pricing will be. Not so arsed about having to opening it up as i would do it anyway no matter what.

From looking at the Smooth sets i daresay the internal bearings look like 8mm to me.

Cant say im thrilled at a V2 but i do have 2 G3's that would appreciate this, a V3 box would be uber delicious

I wonder what pricing will be. Not so arsed about having to opening it up as i would do it anyway no matter what.

From looking at the Smooth sets i daresay the internal bearings look like 8mm to me.

Cant say im thrilled at a V2 but i do have 2 G3's that would appreciate this, a V3 box would be uber delicious

Same here i wish they'd make a V3 GB as i'd want one for my AKS74!

I got arsed enough to send the e-mail, here's the answer:

- Please pre-radius the gearbox front corners. It will help the gearbox strength and make it less prone to crack.

Answer: Yes, we did that.

- Please file the second tooth off the piston, as well as half of the third one. Coupled with this, please be the first manufacturer wise enough to correct the piston and sector gear angle of engagement already, so we, the buyers, won't have to do it ourselves for piston mechanism longevity.

Answer: We'd cut the 2nd to 4th teeth off our ultra piston, like a step, to make it a high speed piston. And now we just cut off 2nd tooth off the ultra piston.

- If possible, please add a sorbothane pad to the cylinder head. This is an awesome method to prolong the longevity of the gearbox shell, as sorbothane will take most of the piston impact!

Answer: We had already set about testing this.

Seems like we will have one beast of a gearbox. They will also make the actual shell available first, the full kit shortly after that.

gb07031.jpg

gb0703t.jpg

They seem to be open for ideas, so it might be worth it to send your suggestions too. Superb service. :)

Archived