What type of player are you?

FireKnife

What player are you?  

195 members have voted

1. 1. What type of player are you on a normal skirmish?

• Traditionalist.
    • Futurist.
    • Here and now.

So here is my first poll and it is a question that has been bugging me for ages.

For those that play there usual day in full or mostly full loadouts, what type of player are you, do you rock out in cutting edge weapons with full digi kit or is iron sights and canvas webbing your thing?

Now i shall explain each of the options:

Traditionalist: This is for those, like me, that play with old guns and kit, for those that use canvas webbing and by gone guns. Those who turn up in WW2 and Nam kit belong here.

Futurist: This is for those that turn up with all the RIS filled, uber M4ness that they can, along with the latest digicam and MOLLE gear. Sci-fi players especially.

Here and Now: Pretty simple, you base your loadout on one from the here and now, everything within this decade, those who plan loadouts within this decade fall here.

Now this is for those who go for full loadouts and on your normal game, not for specific events.

Just wanted to see what was the most common.

'FireKnife'

You need a new option, everything goes. I think my loadouts are decided out of pragmatism really, and since I CQB the most as the sites nearest to me are CQB sites, a here and now loadout is what I go with. But if I get the chance to go out to nam games, I'd run my VC loadout. Other outdoors games I've been to, I've been in things from Flecktarn and G36/AUG, to old Slovenian camo CHICOM chest rig and AK, to Vietcong loadout, to Us tricoloured 90s kit.

For me, Its a mix of traditional, modern and future. Like Punkypink's definition:

Rule 1) Fight Practical: if the camo works for the terrain, I will wear it. If the vest carries mags and supplies for the mission I will wear it. If the weapon system fits my role and the environment I am operating in, I will use it.

Rule 2) Never carry a weapon that is less than 50% of the real weapon's weight (for the full realsim experience), but never carry a weapon system that is 1 ounce more of the real weapon's weight (practicality).

Rule 3) If you can keep your basic essential gear as light as possible while still combat effective, then why not? So Molle vests and plate carriers are out of the picture. I still end up carrying 10kg worth of equipment though.

Rule 4) If the accessories on the weapon is non essential for the mission and role, then remove it. If the accessory can be superceded by something simpler then use the simpler option. Rails are good if I can bolt stuff on, but if the game requires of me, I could have no rails and iron sights on a short barrelled SMG I would still be as effective.

Rule 5) Always wear the uniform of the armed forces, correctly and tidily. Often my uniforms will be press ironed, though unbadged, and no insigna.

I normally go in my nam kit or one of my soviet loadouts so generally traditionalist.

I am building a future loadout as well which will be used for urban and cqb games. Loadout is digital urban camo (children of men set) and gun wise either a G36 or a XM8, wont use anything using STANAG mags as they look outdated and so do most of the guns using them (will never use anything armalite based as it shouldn't be current let along future).

I voted for modern, as i have been spending most of my time in airsoft buying army surplas equipment. I had an osprey last year, and I just got a CQC vest. I think i will be leaving my modern british army loadout at 2007 but i still have the kit for a 1998 era as well. (allways missing a helmet)

However

I am also planning, and have halfway made, a chicago 1930s loadout. I would be one of dillingers gang(a fictional extra one) with (eventually) an m1892, 1911 machine pistol and a trilby if there is such a thing in my size (my head is huge)

Another loadout i am planning(but have nothing for yet) is either a WW2 1939 british expeditionary force(shorts, sniper SMLE, STEN), or a Falklands 1982 loadout (FAL, i allready have the mostache).

EDSKAR - As a hat enthusiast, you will need a Fedora rather than a Trilby for a gangster look. Also, as a fellow melon-head, trust me when I say you should be able to find one in your size.

Tell me where i can get one of these Fedoras in size 65.

eBay?

Or even Peacocks, they had some on sale a few weeks ago up here.

Mine came from TK Maxx.

As for the loadouts pick which one you mostly fit in, like myself i have one modern uniform but as the webbing and gun is old fashioned then i am still a traditionalist.

'FireKnife'

Hmm. A 65 is very large (I'm a 62). Most miliners will only go up to a 7 7/8 (which is about 63cm) but it's always worth looking at hat shops near you to see how high they go. I got my fedora from Christys (http://www.christys-hats.com/) who make it in a 63, which may fit you alright. There is a great variation in the sizes of hats made by non-miliners, in which case as Fireknife said it's a case of visiting high-street shops and trying their large/extra larges. I got 5 of my hats from H&M.

I am a complete pragmatist. Everything must work, everything must actually excel at its task, or its in the bin.

I have been planning an article about my loadout and I will go into a lot more detail there, but the one maxim I have is that I NEVER pick items based on a "Real steal look"; I am playing airsoft.

So a little of this a little of that. I have a Magpul PTS, an Prime LR and a WA Hardballer as my main playing guns. I wear real multicam, carry mostly Warrior gear, use a high end radio and Bowmans. However, I have a cheap as chips copy of a Ranger's jacket and have resisted getting a RS plate carrier. I don't need plates, so why lose the movement?

I guess the DA's are all a little SciFI, and have all the toys, but we all aim to be as practical as possible; in fact we obsess about that.

Basho

I agree with PunkyPink, there should be another option for general usage. I voted for "Here and Now" as I and my team are styled after a modern British Amry Section, but, I know players who combine old US Tigerstripe, with PLCE Webbing and much more "futuristic" weapons like FN F2000s.

Well I chose futurist because I love my "pimped" m4 rifles.... but it's kind of also a "here and now" thing. Magpul's pretty big "here and now", and I love Magpul. Same with Multicam.

I don't think you made much of a distinction between "futurist" and "here and now". I'm definitely not in the sci-fi category or really even futuristic, but I like my MOLLE gear with all the stuff in it and I love my accessorized rifles. Where does that really put me?

You need a new option, everything goes. I think my loadouts are decided out of pragmatism really, and since I CQB the most as the sites nearest to me are CQB sites, a here and now loadout is what I go with. But if I get the chance to go out to nam games, I'd run my VC loadout. Other outdoors games I've been to, I've been in things from Flecktarn and G36/AUG, to old Slovenian camo CHICOM chest rig and AK, to Vietcong loadout, to Us tricoloured 90s kit.

+1

I run WW2, 60's merc' in Africa, VN, 80's, 90's, modern, and "cutting edge" load-outs...

...'37 pattern webbing to EPC c/w cummerbund (etc.)...

...all sorts of different nationalities...

...depends on what I feel like that week.

Aaah the joys of being a "collector". ;)

Future-ist is more for those that style themselves on a loadout that is a bit far off but only by a few years, or those that RIS and bolt on bits to guns, anything just outside of here and now is futurist.

'FireKnife'

Ahh....guess that makes me more of a "here and now" guy then. I usually wear MC or MARPAT (sometimes tri-color desert for fun) and a CB Mar CIRAS. Though I think my G36 looks futuristic...lol.

Actually an example of Futurist is those that style there loadout on the whole Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter thing, as they are always set a few years into the future.

'FireKnife'

Yeah I kinda figured that. It's just that I swear if I took the suppressor off of my G36 and painted it white and black it would look like a stormtrooper's laser blaster from Star Wars lol.

But on a more serious note, if I had the money to do a GRAW impression...I would. But MC gear gets expensive...

Archived