Super slow motion

Dan_Breen

Pretty scary what a hollowpoint can do to a block of ballistics gel... Hate to think what being hit with one would be like. Just goes to show how much respect we all should have for anybody in the forces when they're facing something like that.

Awesome video though - It's almost hypnotic, heh.

Could be a metal BB? I figure the BB itself isn't causing the dent, more the force of the bullet hitting it denting itself on the harder metal of the BB... I'd be interested to find out how they timed the hit so well though - someone's a frikkin' good shot ;)

Indeed.

As you say, it's more likely that the energy of the bullet is what's causing the dent.

Surprising that it doesn't deflect the bullet too.

I'd guess if there is any kind of deflection it's going to be too minor to notice, as the shot only covers the impact rather than tracking the flight of the bullet for any length of time. And guessing it's a 4.5mm steel BB, it probably doesn't have enough weight or force of impact to affect the bullet's flight a great deal... I figure it'd be like a bullet just scraping the corner of a metal plate or something similar - it might deflect it very slightly, but it's still going roughly the same way for some distance.

Shotgun? time it so that the bullet hits the edge of the blast and you have a higher probability of success? Just maybe. Or some damn good calculations and angling guns and such. Dump in an electronic trigger or something.

Science, it works bitches! :)

I would say it was all nicely automated. Cool video though the explosions are lovely.

To reach far beyond typical high speed photography (keep in mind, we're talking over 41,000 times the speed of traditional film), the footage was captured using dual Shimadzu HPV-1 cameras shooting at a scant 312x260 resolution. Regardless, the black and white tonal detail is still more than good enough to astound. (www.gizmodo.com)

It's billed as being shot at about 1,000,000 frames per second. I'm sure the film makers on here could confirm if that's possible, but it's damn impressive.

Yeah, seeing a dirty bronze bit of a metal hit some gel really needs the colour, and obviously the sound of a gunshot slowed down about a billion times is just heavenly...

I would actually have preferred less sound. The music was really annoying IMO.

Still, that's what volume controls are for, right?

Archived