ARES Tavor TAR-21 - First Impressions

i had to change the motor in my tavor too, did you have the simple grey motor without any markings?

geeze failing motors, poor compression and a faulty trigger? Anyone have a Tavor WITHOUT problems? I really want one but for 500 I don't want the troubles everyone else is having. I can fix the mag release problem, but I don't want to bother with the internals unless I have too!! And has there been a fix for the semi/full auto problem yet where it locks up?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

geeze failing motors, poor compression and a faulty trigger? Anyone have a Tavor WITHOUT problems? I really want one but for 500 I don't want the troubles everyone else is having. I can fix the mag release problem, but I don't want to bother with the internals unless I have too!! And has there been a fix for the semi/full auto problem yet where it locks up?

My only real problem is that I got the single fire lock up once, it seems to only happen if I switch to full auto, don't fire, then switch to single. The only other thing that bothers me is that the hop up has an Armalite type interface which is annoying to adjust with my fingers, would've liked to see more of a G36 type interface for the hop up since its easy to use(or maybe I just have fat fingers). Besides that I'm in heaven. I'd say the DE Tavor is definitely worth it as its $385 on redwolf and you get a bit of a longer barrel than the original black with Mars sight.

My only real problem is that I got the single fire lock up once, it seems to only happen if I switch to full auto, don't fire, then switch to single. The only other thing that bothers me is that the hop up has an Armalite type interface which is annoying to adjust with my fingers, would've liked to see more of a G36 type interface for the hop up since its easy to use(or maybe I just have fat fingers). Besides that I'm in heaven. I'd say the DE Tavor is definitely worth it as its $385 on redwolf and you get a bit of a longer barrel than the original black with Mars sight.

yeah but I want the ctar, the long one doesn't do it for me :D I plan on selling the mars sight cheap though so oh well!

I've been shooting atleast 4000 rounds so far as I bought the gun back in November, and the motor is holding up with my 9.6v. I use mostly 120 round midcaps @ about 32 -/+1 mags. I believe the selector issue is working okay for me as I'm using a 9.6v, however the Semi-auto selection must be in the correct lineup or else it might be the reason the gun will lock up.

Loads of small issues with mine but nothing i couldn't handle (even if its not broken i need to get inside things., :D)., I defo dont think its worth the price it is, but its still got potential to be a great gun with some work. mine has been stripped down and gone over a few times but the performance there now is spot on., I didnt have any motor problems bar a bit of excessive sparking from it but i changed it out with an M120 anyway to give me better trigger response.

yeah but I want the ctar, the long one doesn't do it for me :D I plan on selling the mars sight cheap though so oh well!

ohhh, the crappy mars sight, I haven't seen so many ghosts since the Ghostbusters 2...or maybe I just got a bad gun...

ohhh, the crappy mars sight, I haven't seen so many ghosts since the Ghostbusters 2...or maybe I just got a bad gun...

theres a fix for the size and brightness but the effect where the dot does not stay on target is not fixable due to the distance from the lenses and the curve of it.

I think my motor died because of the battery (11.1v) and because I use to shoot in semi more than in full auto. I didn't shoot more than 3000 bbs with the gun before the sudden death.

The motor failure is not a big problem. I was planning to change it before I bought the tavor, like also the nozzle and hopup rubber. Anyway I wasn't waiting to replace that important part so soon.

The ICS turbo 3000 (now installed in the tar21) completed almost 2 years in my AK working perfectly with a 11.1V Lipo, so I'm not sure about the quality of the Ares tavor's stock motor, especially after failing before completing 2 months of use. Or maybe I just got a defective one.

Anyway, I'm still happy with my Tavor.

Edited by Disajim
I think my motor died because of the battery (11.1v) and because I use to shoot in semi more than in full auto. I didn't shoot more than 3000 bbs with the gun before the sudden death.

The motor failure is not a big problem. I was planning to change it before I bought the tavor, like also the nozzle and hopup rubber. Anyway I wasn't waiting to replace that important part so soon.

The ICS turbo 3000 (now installed in the tar21) completed almost 2 years in my AK working perfectly with a 11.1V Lipo, so I'm not sure about the quality of the Ares tavor's stock motor, especially after failing before completing 2 months of use. Or maybe I just got a defective one.

Anyway, I'm still happy with my Tavor.

lol how was the rof on the 11.1? I plan on getting the 9.6v 40c lipo from madbull for this!

On a G&P M120 motor, 9.6 1500Mah firefox battery im getting around about 28rps with a 1J setup. crazy mad ROF but i usually use it on semi and the trigger response is really good so im very happy with the way its working out so far. :)

The motor problem is one ive heard of with a couple of reviews and with most guns that would be something i would usually brush off as its so easily replacable, except with the Tavor there's so much dismantling that its hard to forgive them for using such a ###### motor really, even teh gearbox needs to be split to remove it.

Well FYI, about my mag catch issue, I was able to locate the guilty:

- The catch tab itself is too high for my Magpul mags.

I purchased a KA Magpul hi-cap recently, and it wouldn't even fit at all in the Tavor. Not like the other PMag where I had to push a bit hard, this one would not fit AT ALL.

So I checked a little further and compared two working mags, and I noticed the hole for the mag catch in the well to be much lower than on the PMag, and even lower on the KA one...

So I cut down a little and made the whole bigger (digging on the upper side), and managed to have it fit. But it's a pain, and I certainly don't want to do that on all my PMag, the KA looks messy enough as it is.

I don't understand how it doesn't affect everyone though, because it's clear that it's a molding issue, the place for the catch is decided by the mold, so it can't change too much from one gun to another.

What's possible though is that I got the very very last batch, since you guys are in Europe/US, and ARES is actually Asian (Chinese/Taiwanese). So the supplier you have must have their Tavor from longer than eHobby Asia, which is located in Hong Kong...

I'm curious to see if new buyers will have the same issue.

Edited by Ycare

After couple of hours of work I finally managed to fit a standard Armalite hopup chamber in Tavor. It is not an easy task, a lot of dremeling and sanding, but it was worth it. Now the gun can accept other barrels and has modularity - gearbox and chamber are separate parts now.

After couple of hours of work I finally managed to fit a standard Armalite hopup chamber in Tavor. It is not an easy task, a lot of dremeling and sanding, but it was worth it. Now the gun can accept other barrels and has modularity - gearbox and chamber are separate parts now.

how did you do that? can you post some pics?

Here's the procedure:

1. cut the bottom part, just above the flat part - if you cut too much, BBs might get stuck, better go slowly and take little by little. ARES Tavor hopup has this flat part some 2-3mm higher/closer to the barrel

1. you will have to make a ramp for BBs to enter the chamber, as holes in the guns and chamber won't be aligned - dremel work and many tests until you get it right

2. file/cut the "wings"

3. cut this nub until it is only 2mm long - don't cut it completely, you need it as spacer between chamber and outer barrel, otherwise there will be play between chamber and gearbox, resulting in loss of compression

4. use grub screw through outer barrel to secure the chamber in place - otherwise it may rotate and the gun won't feed

p.s.

Sorry for awkward English ;)

post-21299-1264787415_thumb.jpg

Just a quick question for a friend who is very cautious about ARES:

The gearbox is custom, so it is known yet what parts might be compatible with other versions of gearboxes?

thanks!

gears motor, nozzle and piston (with minor modification!) from what I understand. And hop up nub

Exactly. Also other parts: cylinder, piston head, anti reversal latch, microswitch.

The only partis inside gearbox which are not compatible with usual V2/3 gearbox are cylinder head, tappet plate, cutoff lever and parts of trigger mechanism. Spring guide is different too, but ordinary ones can be adapted, I believe.

piston (with minor modification!)

There was talk about some high end pistons not fitting on Airsoft Mechanics, but I've heard of a few instances of standard pistons fitting without modification (I think Deep Fire was one brand and Classic Army another). If anyone has had experience of fitting a standard piston without modification, it would be great to find out what they used, specifically.

Exactly. Also other parts: cylinder, piston head, anti reversal latch, microswitch.

Is it also true to say the 8mm bushings/bearings are standard? I hope so as I have some kanzen bearings on the way :)

I am hoping for more aftermarket support parts for this AEG.

Indeed. Ares are shooting themselves in the foot by not providing proper support in spare parts.

Well, paid a visit to my local airsoft shop and threw a Guarder 120 spring in and got 420-425 fps with no hop up on and around 403 fps with the hop on all the way with a 9.6v battery. And I haven't had the lock up problem since that last time (which was also the first), I'm hoping that's the last I'll see of the lock up problem, but who knows. I'm thinking of chopping the Ares stock spring that came with it for the mag fix, or rather strengthener.