ARES Tavor TAR-21 - First Impressions

There was talk about some high end pistons not fitting on Airsoft Mechanics, but I've heard of a few instances of standard pistons fitting without modification (I think Deep Fire was one brand and Classic Army another). If anyone has had experience of fitting a standard piston without modification, it would be great to find out what they used, specifically.

Standard Marui pistons fit without mod.

King Arms pom and Deep Fire (titanium and poly tooth versions) fit with some minor dremel work to pick up tooth.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ares Tavor - the crystal meth of the airsoft world ;)

You'll be glad of waiting a few months until you pop over to the UK. It's bloody freezing here right now. Brr.

Just got my Ares Tavor Dark Earth version. Will be field testing it very soon. Hope they finally reinforced the gearbox though.

Reinforced the gearbox ? Why ?

BTW, I did the radiusing mod in all corners, just in case. (Radiusing is rounding the corners so local stresses are significantly reduced. Local stress is the main cause of cracks, which are progressive in most cases).

Just got my Ares Tavor Dark Earth version. Will be field testing it very soon. Hope they finally reinforced the gearbox though.

That's good news - maybe you could do a comparison between your CTAR as it was in stock form and the TAR?

There seems to be an expectation that the TAR has in some way been enhanced by user feedback, but all we know for sure so far is that the motor is shrink wrapped and it has spade connectors instead of solder at the motor. Everything else appaers to be exactly the same (with some different tolerances reported for both models in terms of mag fitment etc).

Hey guys, just got my TAR in the post, it's nice and solid :)

I'm wondering about the magazines though. The supplied mag goes in...and then falls out. Aftermarket mags go in...and fall out. They don't click in and stay like with every other gun, nothing engages them when they go in. Did anyone else have this trouble? It would be nice if, you know, the mags worked :P

You might be bumping into the feed tube of the gun when you push in the mag. that happens with some mags in my own tavor,., just check its all as its supposed to be and resist forcing it in, check also the top of the mags where they go into the gun and make sure theres no mad moulding or anything.,

DE kill them all :D

Forti, if you use the stock mag, it should fit perfectly. Make sure you're not pushin the mag release by mistake when doing so.

By the way, did anyone had any issue with the hopup ? It looks like the dial wheel turns very easily and that the setting might change just by moving around. Is it safe or did you guys figure out a fix ? I tried screwing it a little better but it did nothing to hold the wheel more tightly.

Edited by Ycare
DE kill them all :D

Forti, if you use the stock mag, it should fit perfectly. Make sure you're not pushin the mag release by mistake when doing so.

By the way, did anyone had any issue with the hopup ? It looks like the dial wheel turns very easily and that the setting might change just by moving around. Is it safe or did you guys figure out a fix ? I tried screwing it a little better but it did nothing to hold the wheel more tightly.

I took out the little screw on the wheel and used a small oring on there, then stuck the screw back on. its really solid now and holds its position nicely. :)

I took some new pics of the parts that cause the gun to go dead when in semi auto, i also installed an M16 length Vanaras inner barrel to see how they perform., Someone mentioned the barrel in these being unique? i didnt have any issues myself., pics included too., :)

4333523656_393b210dbf_b.jpg

4333527134_04258df114_b.jpg

Here's my original nozzle, I stuck in a G&P metal one with internal O-ring but it didnt really work well. Gonna order another and see how i get on.

4332773867_797a94f5cc_b.jpg

And here's the part that causes the gun to lock up in semi, the internal bit gets stuck on the frame and wont move smoothly within the main part. you need to file it a little to cure this. :)

4332872279_fbd649a897_o.jpg

4332871545_ea0e4fc9de_b.jpg

I'll give ya more info when i get the new air nozzle as it wont be performing to its full potential until i do.,

Heres the parts ya have to file highlighted in colour, you may not have to file both the green and red, you'll probably only need to do either or. :)

4333841752_f99cd1aef1_o.jpg

4333841586_aa46984a2d_o.jpg

Hey guys, just got my TAR in the post, it's nice and solid :)

I'm wondering about the magazines though. The supplied mag goes in...and then falls out. Aftermarket mags go in...and fall out. They don't click in and stay like with every other gun, nothing engages them when they go in. Did anyone else have this trouble? It would be nice if, you know, the mags worked :P

PTS PMags are not latching too well. Need to engage the feed tube end first and then rock back to latch on the mag catch on the Tavor frame. The mag catch could use a stronger spring.

The Magpul Green Label mags snaps in easily, likewise with the STAR 120rnds SA80 mags.

I got a PTS mag fitting fine by shaving a little off in two areas.

-A bit of the BB catch, like 1-2 mm worked for me

-The top of the mag catch hole in the mag (damn terminology!) by a few mm

Though after doing that it wobbles in my magwell, so some black electric tape on the side of the pts pmag should fix that since that's what I did for my CA mag.

EDIT: Adding two strips of electric tape on both sides of the pts pmag eliminates the wobble for me.

Edited by Warpix