The British Army of the Cold War

Some great photos, especially the archive ones.

I love the Rovers I have often thought about buyining a lightweight or maybe even a 101 FC.

thanks lol i have a 1964 series 2a 88" land rover for sale but needs total restoration, if you are going for a lightweight get the 24v FFR one and on the 101 front radio or ambulances are nice the GS is nice in the summer

any more questions on landys please feel free lol

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Many thanks for the advice. I will probably get a light weight at some point, as much as I like the 101 GS it would be a bit over the top and therefore would not be used enough. If I had the space a stolly and RL would also be on the list.

Cheers

Lee

• 2 weeks later...

some real-life and airsoft pics in Cold War/Op Banner kit, from the albums:

Rover with GRP Vehicle Protection Kit, Girdwood Barracks, North Belfast, about 1979:

5215346371a7015788242o.jpg

Range day, Ballykinker:

5215346371a11645858662o.jpg

Airsoft pics, c.30 years later:

Cammed up Mk4 tin tom, KA FAL with SUIT sight:

5215346371a12245090014o.jpg

'58 pattern CEFO, lightweight trousers and puttees, RM beret for Falklands-themed weekend:

5215346371a11387275099o.jpg

Typical NI patrol order:

5215346371a12245567320o.jpg

Not to forget the Maroon Machine, some nice pics of Paras in Denison smocks during an early 1970s tour in Belfast, and a story to go with it, can be found here:

http://strikehold.wordpress.com/2009/04/07...-ireland-style/

Very interesting story, I'm having terrible trouble trying to find lightweight trousers with a thigh pocket could anyone point me in the right direction ?

Picked up a mint condition 80s dpm sniper smock today for a tenner!

Gutted the set of 68 pattern dpm i found for £20 was too short in the leg and arm for me... perfect fit on the body and waist but trousers legs up my shin!

Also got a GS shirt for £4 and a poncho roll for £2!

Ok here we go:

For the trainspotters among us there are some bits glaringly wrong here and *i know* i did these in the space of 30 minutes to try out some new purchases.

Glaring errors are ammo boots instead of dms for the later pics, the maroon beret is a wwii pattern and a little too large. The steel helmet isnt scrimmed enough and is a mkiii instead of a mkiV (ive a mkIV upstairs but it needs reconditioning and properly covering. I'm blatantly missing a weapon as is the bayonet on the bayonet pouch, while most pouches are filled some (ressie pouch) are empty and some (top poncho roll) have 'filler' kit in them as empty pouches look stupid. Equally while I do own most of themissing bits i cant be arsed tearing through cupboards for them tonight... conspicuous is the 58 pattern belt replacing by nasty dark green plastic one that is nowhere to be seen in 'the war room' :)

First off:

Early cold war 1960 pattern OGs, jumper and shirt, ammo boots and puttees.

DSCF3206.jpg

As above but with steel pot and fighting order webbing

DSCF3212.jpg

DSCF3213.jpg

DSCF3214.jpg

Transitional NI kit, 60 pat trousers with 68 pattern smock and beret. Note belt order is missing here as i couldnt be arsed to strip my 58 down to ammo pouches, water bottle and a FFD. Body armour is the early us bought m69 before the rifle pads were added.

DSCF3215.jpg

Now, Falklands war type kit as worn by welsh guards etc, 68 pattern dpm, windproof smock, steel helmet, fighting order webbing.

DSCF3217.jpg

And as above but late cold war 'Reforger' exercise style BAOR Era kit, 68 dpm with new mk6 helmet, note plce isnt in by this point and guys were using 58 whether issued with slr or sa80

DSCF3221.jpg

Lastly 'jumper order combats', when i was a squaddie this was my prefered day to day kit pre issue of soldier 95.

DSCF3223.jpg

I did intend to do some variations with lightweights but again... couldnt be arsed and got a beer instead :)

SLR is on the 'to get' list.

I've an '80 for the really late cold war exercises and a no4 that can be scoped as the pre l96 sniper rifle. I did consider a Bren as a 'counts as' L4 as its more use for my WWII stuff (which is my passion really).

Unfortunately I may have to wait til my birthday to justify the cost of an SLR to the missus :)

nice pics gadge quick thing i noticed was the bungee should go to he back of the webbing not around the front makes it neat and also pulls the webbing into a nice snug fit around your waist (as i have with my webbing)

slight note on light weights for the NI patrol look they were banned from use during the really bad time in NI because of the polyester content which would melt and burn when a riot/petrol bomb went off so the trouser used would have been the OG 44pattern canvas ones also note that alot of the pictures showing the lightweights in use are either staged which was used for public use (hearts and minds etc) or done on base

sounds daft but its true only trying to help.

also on the pic of the VPK landy or a piglet the barb wire cutter is in the wrong place and would offer no protection to the driver/commander although the landy in armoured the glass in the windows is armoured but the windscreen surround is normal and made of thin steel other than that i want one lol

I used to use a bungee that way when i soldiered for real, i never had *any* problems with it to be honest and found it suited me that way. One of the things with 58 and to a lesser degree plce is that you need a certain amount of customisation to find a way thats comfy for you.

I used to put the bungee on that way as its a very easy thing to fix local foliage over the back, i also find it pulls everything back and off your front.

I guess its just personal preference.

As for the trousers they are not lightweights they are 60 patterns if that makes any difference (i have no idea if the compostion is the same, they dont *feel* the same they actually feel like 68 pattern trousers - having not served in NI during that period or been a para I asked Scaleyback1 (who has and was :) ) what he thought about it.

Appreciate the feedback though. I remember tropicals being barred with out lot for a similar reason of them having a high plastic content and i used to love them on exercise as they dried out super fast.

edit: sorry , that sounded well arsy, i dont mean it to come across like that I am genuinely interested in discussing the kit and preferred ways of wearing it :).

Not so sure about the lightweight ban, I do remember the polyester melty-thing being mentioned (flak jacket covers too?) but I seem to recall lightweights were widely worn by many units on ops (including Felix) during the better weather, throughout the mid-late 70s and into the early 80s. Also seem to recall a ref in AFN Clarke's "Contact" re the 3 Para '76 tour in XMG, to some squaddie bitching about lightweighs frequently needing darning due to ripping when crossing hedgerows to avoid gates/IEDs. My memory may be faulty but I doubt all the pics i've seen showing lightweights on ops are really obsolescent 60 pat breeks. Maybe it was different later.

im inclined to agree with you 33lima. I remember tropicals being banned from NI service but not lightweights.

The 60pat were worn IIRC by the parachute regiment and royal marines even when full dpm was available for 'esprit de corp reasons' Namely that it harked back to the days when they both had denisons and od trousers as it made them look 'different'.

The tribalism of the British Army has always supported things like that :)

Archived