The British Army of the Cold War

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it me or is it difficult to find issued DPM that is correct for 1989? All the DPM I find on ebay looks to be Soldier 95 and likewise for the surplus stores I have found online. As it stands so far I haven't been able to actually visit any surplus shops due to be in Saudi but I am back in the UK in a few days so would a trip to several surplus stores/stalls/warehouses be worth it or will I just keep on seeing S95?

Is it me or is it difficult to find issued DPM that is correct for 1989? All the DPM I find on ebay looks to be Soldier 95 and likewise for the surplus stores I have found online. As it stands so far I haven't been able to actually visit any surplus shops due to be in Saudi but I am back in the UK in a few days so would a trip to several surplus stores/stalls/warehouses be worth it or will I just keep on seeing S95?

you will find old style dpm in shops i know of 3 shops now and theres loads on ebay you might be searching wrong

for example:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-BRITISH-FORCES-1980S-WATERPROOF-DP-TROUSERS-/130444194315?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item1e5f14720b

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRITISH-ARMY-SAS-JUNGLE-SHIRT-JACKET-OLD-SCHOOL-ALLY-/180577519603?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item2a0b4247f3

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MINT-RARE-FALKLAND-1968-PATTERN-DPM-COMBAT-SMOCK-JACKET-/160495577344?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item255e482900

theres a few but they are there you just gotta look lol

68 & 85 pattern gear is becoming harder & harder to find.

It pops up on Ebay every so often but can sometimes be quite pricey... I had to go on a diet to find some 68 pattern trousers that I could actually fit into! 34" waist seems to be the largest common size when the stuff is actually available. Most jackets in the lighter 68 seem to be size 1 or 2 (no good for me - I need a 4.)

I put it down to 68 the 85 patt becoming the "builder-cam" of the 1980's.

However you may be lucky and find a surplus store wuth some old stock mixed in among the 95... Otherwise is just a case of looking whenever you get a chance...

68 & 85 pattern gear is becoming harder & harder to find.

It pops up on Ebay every so often but can sometimes be quite pricey... I had to go on a diet to find some 68 pattern trousers that I could actually fit into! 34" waist seems to be the largest common size when the stuff is actually available. Most jackets in the lighter 68 seem to be size 1 or 2 (no good for me - I need a 4.)

I put it down to 68 the 85 patt becoming the "builder-cam" of the 1980's.

However you may be lucky and find a surplus store wuth some old stock mixed in among the 95... Otherwise is just a case of looking whenever you get a chance...

its all about look look and look again aswell as having some luck and dropping on i get alot of my kit from dropping on

Azubi - there are sources of 68' and 85' Patt kit out there, but as the others here have said, it's becoming harder to find in the "right" sizes. This is mostly due to the kit's age now, and also the fact that most of the lads who would've been issued it were a lot slighter built than most lads now (be that in general build or less pronounced muscles).

The easiest option at the moment is to get your hands on some of the repro "Old School" tropies, of which I have a pair of trousers. They're amazing quality, made by the exact same manufacturer the originals were made by, and to the same spec (with a little added modern quality, of course!). My pair are actually 2nd hand off a chap who was issued a set of originals back in the day, and he says they're even better quality, but the same "hi-vis" colours wink.gif

At the moment only trousers and shirts are available, as I don't think many are interested in the old bush hats. But as the colours look similar, an old "###### hat" (patrol cap) should just about match.

The easiest option at the moment is to get your hands on some of the repro "Old School" tropies, of which I have a pair of trousers. They're amazing quality, made by the exact same manufacturer the originals were made by, and to the same spec (with a little added modern quality, of course!). My pair are actually 2nd hand off a chap who was issued a set of originals back in the day, and he says they're even better quality, but the same "hi-vis" colours http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.

Curse my failing memory, all down to old age and too much alcohol.

Which shop is selling these repro "Old School" tropics? I need a pair of trousers to go with my RM smock, 58 pattern webbing and L1A1 SLR?

PM'd you mate ;)

Just ordered myself the matching shirt to go with my repro Old School tropy trousers. so once it arrives I'll get some piccies of what gear's been collected so far.

From memory, I've got:

- Custom 58' Patt webbing, including modified kidney pouch, respirator, and PRC349 attached.

- Repro tropy trousers

- Old school jungle boots

- Old school 'COP' vest

and a few other bits and bobs.

The wife has recently bought us both a 1970s flak jacket (the ones with the plastic rifle panels) and I've got my hands on a old school 58 pattern rollpin belt. So my gear now comprises of

1. NI flak jacket, beret, 68 smock, lightweights, boots, NI gloves, 58 belt with ammo pouches and one 44 canteen, with wooden furniture SLR.

2. Early dpm para smock, black wooley hat, 68 pattern dpm trousers, NI gloves, drop58/44 webbing, prc349 radio, 40mm bandolier, with my PTW/203

3. 60's jungle shirt, cut down bush hat, lightweights , 3 hole dessie boots, drop58/44 webbing, claymore bag, with either of the above rifles!

nice pics only a few slight issues the belt on the webbing is wrong should be a 58 pattern belt or roll pin

the DPM is 94/95 pattern which is ok but abit too new thats all

the XM177 is a nice touch and SF would have used it but it would have been more the colt commando/M733

but other than that the landscape and the set up of the pics is very argie/falklands looking good job

Scans of a few Images I had lying rounds (or in various books) Note: Some Images ARE NOT BRITISH ARMY instead they are ROYAL NAVY (RM Commando's are part of the Navy NOT the Army, though the way this Country's going we'll have a combined force soon enough...)

PART 1

th_1DoWinNo8dressBAOR1986.jpg

th_1870sNeyParaSmockandHelmet1970s.jpg

th_1970s1DERRwm16.jpg

th_1988No8DressNEWISSUEincBergan.jpg

th_1988No8DressNEWISSUE.jpg

th_1stBnStaffordshireembarkingonaPUMA.jpg

th_2PARAFalkalnds1982ArcticWindproofSuits.jpg

th_3ParaHelicoperDrill1982.jpg

th_3RoyalWelshFusiliersNo9TropicalDPM1986.jpg

th_BritishArmy1980sGPMG.jpg

No going through your kit and cataloguing what you have with an aim to boxing sets together is having too much time... that wa from stuff I already had as an electronic file...

yeah thats true lol i lost aload of my pics when my old hard drive died lol

Lads if you're after 68 pattern or tropics talk to Nigel at JJs in Sheffiled, say Gadge said he might be able to help you.

He had a fair bit of 68 pattern last time i wa sin in sensible sizes (he also had some lovely windproof trousers and smocks from the falklands era in large sizes) and he did mention he was due to recieve a load of old tropicals.

Seriously JJs in Sheffiled or Langtons in sheffield has tons of old dpm and 58 pattern

For full sets of 58 (with the old nylon green ressie bag sometimes) for a tenner talk to sabre sales.

Lads if you're after 68 pattern or tropics talk to Nigel at JJs in Sheffiled, say Gadge said he might be able to help you.

He had a fair bit of 68 pattern last time i wa sin in sensible sizes (he also had some lovely windproof trousers and smocks from the falklands era in large sizes) and he did mention he was due to recieve a load of old tropicals.

Seriously JJs in Sheffiled or Langtons in sheffield has tons of old dpm and 58 pattern

For full sets of 58 (with the old nylon green ressie bag sometimes) for a tenner talk to sabre sales.

gadge where abouts in sheff are they as i might have to go and have a looksee

Archived