Gas Vs Battery

JimHensonMadeMe

Hi, I'm relatively new to airsoft, and am almost ready to purchase my first weapons. I'm just wondering the pros and cons of gas vs battery pistols.

From what I can gather, gas pistols tend to manage between 1 and 2 mags on one filling, how does that compare to battery powered ones, and what about velocity, durability and build quality?

I did mention this on the chat room, and had some help from the guys on there, which was most appreciated.

I'd just like your views too!

Thanks.

Gas pistols are superior to leccy ones in almost every way.

I usually field a leccy USP. It has okayish accuracy, terribly low power and short range.

It is, however, reliable and I'm too lazy to constantly sort out gas guns.

I reckon everybody should buy as many gas pistols as possible but always keep an AEP for the times when it all goes pete tong.

Gas. I would never ever get an electric one unless it's a MP7 or Vz61

I agree. And I recently sold my TM Vz61 because of how impractical it was during skirmishes. Mainly carrying it around was a real pain if it was your secondary. MP7 should be easier to carry around though, because the mag goes into the pistol grip.

Okay, seems gas is the way forward, it just seemed rather a lot of work for 20 or so shots, re gas, fix the leaky seal, re seat the rubber nubbing thingy, re re seal, re fill again with gas, get your 20 or so shot off, and repeat all above again!

I'm sure there'll be fun in the middle bit!

Thanks for your input.

FWIW, you can usually get 60 or more shots out of a single fill of gas.

It's not just about the effort. It's about the whole thing.

In the UK, at least, the closest most people can ever get to a real-steel semi-auto pistol is an airsoft gun.

To have one that is constructed and operates almost identically to a real firearm is worth a lot.

In use they provide a more tactile experience and they operate more realistically; locking back the slide when the mag is empty.

With a GBB pistol you're not just buying a means of slinging BBs down range.

You're buying the pistol that James Bond or Sonny Crockett or Sam Fisher or Bullet Tooth Tony uses.

That's what you're paying for.

I'd still buy an AEP as well though. ;)

It's not just about the effort. It's about the whole thing.

In the UK, at least, the closest most people can ever get to a real-steel semi-auto pistol is an airsoft gun.

To have one that is constructed and operates almost identically to a real firearm is worth a lot.

In use they provide a more tactile experience and they operate more realistically; locking back the slide when the mag is empty.

Bang on Sir. :)

Let me preface my reply with this: I love my gas pistol.

However, I think it really depends on what you are using it for. Do you plan on playing indoors or outdoors? If indoors, at what range will you be taking the majority of your shots?

Locally we have an indoor CQB facility where most shots are taken within 25-30 feet. One of the fellows that frequents the place uses a TM G18C electric pistol and he absolutely cleans up with it. It fires slower than other pistols in both ROF and FPS but it shoots well and holds plenty of BBs with the extended hicap.

For really close in stuff I think electrics have a place and fill the role well. For a pistol that will be useful both indoors and out with the slight disadvantages of expensive mags and the need to refill them with gas every 40 shots, GBBs fit the bill.

Gas pistol = grin factor

You cannot put a price on grin factor.

p.s. Every airsofter, at some point, should own a TM Desert Eagle hard kick. At least for a short time.

You can sell it and buy something more practical when you are done....but ohhh...the power.....the weight....the sheer bigness off it.

fix the leaky seal, re seat the rubber nubbing thingy, re re seal

You only usually get that problem with Chinese GBB's as they tend to use cheaper materials on the seals. RTV Silicon Sealant Gasket Maker; you only have to do it once. And about the re-gassing and reloading, if you're gonna use it as primary, better buy extra magazines.

p.s. Every airsofter, at some point, should own a TM Desert Eagle hard kick. At least for a short time.

You can sell it and buy something more practical when you are done....but ohhh...the power.....the weight....the sheer bigness off it.

Indeedy.

The first time you gas up a mag with green gas or propane then fire it is unforgettable for most airsofters.

You fire it and there's proper "recoil" and lots of noise and the violent motion of the slide then you think "Oh man, that MUST have broke it!" but it hasn't.

Then you shoot it again and think "Oh god! I'm SURE it must have broke that time!" but it's still okay.

It's about the only airsoft pistol that feels genuinely "violent" when you shoot it. :D

Indeedy.

The first time you gas up a mag with green gas or propane then fire it is unforgettable for most airsofters.

You fire it and there's proper "recoil" and lots of noise and the violent motion of the slide then you think "Oh man, that MUST have broke it!" but it hasn't.

Then you shoot it again and think "Oh god! I'm SURE it must have broke that time!" but it's still okay.

It's about the only airsoft pistol that feels genuinely "violent" when you shoot it. :D

It's the one I get all my friends who come over to my place to try. Their expressions are priceless.

Gas pistols are superior to leccy ones in almost every way.

I usually field a leccy USP. It has okayish accuracy, terribly low power and short range.

It is, however, reliable and I'm too lazy to constantly sort out gas guns.

I reckon everybody should buy as many gas pistols as possible but always keep an AEP for the times when it all goes pete tong.

This is all rather worrying. I am normally the crazy one at my site. However, yet again I am in perfect agreement with Stealthbomber. I use a TM USP AEP for my lecky gun and a WA M92FS PV for my gas gun. Just got myself a KSC Glock 19 as a backup backup... ;)

Gas guns are great fun and generally have excellent blowback action. They are generally much better ranged than AEP guns as well. My mates TM Desert Eagle with a high hop setting and .36 weight BB's can easily out range 95% of the guns on site. AEG or otherwise. Its astonishing. Another mates TM Mk23 on green gas does outrange every gun on the field. Even snipers. Though thats not a GBB pistol, is just gas.

AEP's tend to have quite good range (if a TM) good rof and you can get quite a few shots off on a 500 Mah battery. They also work fine when its cold. Problem is they are quite low fps 220 ish average, where a gas gun will be at 300 or so on Ultra or Green. Possibly more. In summer, 350+ fps is not uncommon on the more powerful green gas. I have seen people get hit by my USP and not feel it. Much beyond 60 foot, people don't feel or hear the hits.

In winter, metal slide gas guns are about as erratic as a crack smoking baboon with a fetish for wearing pop socks. There is no saying what will happen next. I have pulled the trigger only for a big cloud of gas to explode out of the gun. In weather over 14-15 degree's C the gas gun comes into its own.

AEP's are practial and reliable though outclassed in warm weather.

GBB are not as practical, not as reliable, more expensive, but more powerful and fun to use. When they work, which is not in cold weather. Mostly!

For the record, I do like GBB's and NBB's, but the pistol that continues to give me the least trouble, especially cooler weather, is the AEP.

I've had wicked good luck with the CYMA G18c as well as their Desert Eagle. I have a new TM 93R that will be getting it's first winter workout very soon (we're supposed to get a foot and a half of snow tonite-lovely).

The AEP also has some advantages in hot weather. Gas can be brutal in at hotter temps and I've seen a fair number "gas dumps" as well as FPS that are just too high. I've never had a AEP quit on me. I cannot say the same about gas guns. Yet I still like them.

My sugguestion would be to get a good GBB (like a KJW) but still get a hold of a AEP and a handfull of spare magazines (for the price of one gas mag, you can get three AEP mags). Get a couple of spare batteries and throw them in your kit for "just in case".

I'd get a good GBB like a tokyo marui, some of the KJW guns are ok, others are a nightmare. If you get one pistol, get a GBB as it will be a lot more fun. If you're after something that's simply the msot practical then get more magazines for your main. I can see the utility in an AEP but they are kind of borring. I have a few gas guns and I'd consider buying an AEP as well but I wouldn't buy just an AEP. Go for something like a TM berreta or hi-capa, they're decently reliable in normal weather and they're a hoot to fire. I tend to think getting an AEP as your only pistol is a bit like saying "right, I'm going to buy a little sports car!" then buying an Audi, yes, it's practical but it's also sort of dull and vaguely defeats the point.

• 1 month later...
Guest Grunt636

Gas is better performance at fps and range plus most GBB pistols are very upgradable whereas Battery is cheaper to run but not as powerful and not really as much fun. I would go gas even if its just a cheap GBB

Archived