An Average Airsoft Skirmish?

vilerk

looks better than nothing, seems very limiting in terms of moving, just scuttling between obstacles, is it just deathmatch type games? did a search and its a very small field of play apparently, needs foliage fast, i recommend Japanese Knotweed

and NO that does not compare at all with the sites I play, The Mall, Drakelow, Killhouse and Bolton Woodland, have a youtube search for them

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah Mr knife, name & shame. Get any really bad ones & I might join in.

which sites are as bad in the UK Fireknife?

Well i am not one to name and shame but the only site i wasn't too keen on was Ultimate Airsoft in Gloucstershire which wasn't a bad site per se just had some terrible players and the attitude towards chrono was fail.

Also The Hill, well run site but the lack of numbers and the odd foul play means it too is not the best site.

But reports of other bad sites such as Wolf's CQB seem to prve we are not 100% full of great sites.

But then again i do plan to play at least 75% of the UK sites at some point, it will happen.

'FireKnife'

Well i am not one to name and shame but the only site i wasn't too keen on was Ultimate Airsoft in Gloucstershire which wasn't a bad site per se just had some terrible players and the attitude towards chrono was fail.

Also The Hill, well run site but the lack of numbers and the odd foul play means it too is not the best site.

But reports of other bad sites such as Wolf's CQB seem to prve we are not 100% full of great sites.

But then again i do plan to play at least 75% of the UK sites at some point, it will happen.

'FireKnife'

I can't join in on any of them as I haven't played them.

However, I'm more than happy to slag off anything 'Wolf' related. In the past, the 'Wolf' brand has been responsible for some heinous retailing & on those grounds alone, I feel fine saying Wolf are *suitcase*. ;)

Some one picked me up on my opinion the other day, saying they had changed. My response was simple; it will take more than a smiley face & discount to make amends for years of bad trading. By all means give them a try but they wont be having any of my money for a long time.

Greg.

I've never been there but I continually hear that Cerberus' Earth Centre is run and staffed by muppets. Noone I have spoken to has a good word t say about it.

Mm, you know my opinion on that.

It's a fantastic location & I'm sorry to hear that folk don't have a good time playing there.

A real shame as it has massive potential.

I haven't been for a while but it reminds me of how Urban assault has been on my previous visits. Marvelous location, rubbish days airsofting.

I certainly hope that the organisers at both of these sites have sorted, or are on the way to, sorting out, their respective problems.

Again though, it's worth pointing out, that if you have never played these sites, you owe it to yourself to book in & find out first hand. When you do, post the results. I'd be only too happy to hear, that these places are now worth going back to.

Well the Phoenix sites Ive been to weren't bad. Clay Cross was great gaming with Twiggy there.

But the owner is a complete knob, and I continue to hear reports about an awful lot of cheating, overkill and generally poor operation.#

I cant play there again since I was banned for criticising them, and for the cheek of mentioning that I played at another site (without saying its name).

But the owner is a complete knob, and I continue to hear reports about an awful lot of cheating, overkill and generally poor operation.#

I cant play there again since I was banned for criticising them, and for the cheek of mentioning that I played at another site (without saying its name).

Yeah, funny how some folk will ban any one that offers criticism.

I think it's well known now, that 'H' banned me from Ascock, for joking it wouldn't be missed (on airsofters), when it was down one time. He described it as peeing on my own door mat.

I thanked them for the service they had provided & wished them luck. I figured with that attitude, they would need it. :D

Greg.

I found Ground Zero to be the best woodland site, but mainly as it's location is ideal for my way of playing.

Add to that Bristol Indoor (FCS when i went) was a great CQB site but only worked well when you had between 5-7 on a team as otherwise it was overcrowded or too easy to flank teams.

Most sties i have been to have been let down by the players and not the owner or the way it is run. It is a shame to attend a good, well run site only to be harassed and overkilled by the local n00b or guy who thinks he knows it all.

'FireKnife'

Most sties i have been to have been let down by the players and not the owner or the way it is run. It is a shame to attend a good, well run site only to be harassed and overkilled by the local n00b or guy who thinks he knows it all.

'FireKnife'

Agreed.

I was stupid enough to say a certain site was rubbish.

What I should have said, was the location was top notch, the organisation was pretty good but the majority of the players were blatant cheats, spoiling it for those who actually wanted to play. :unsure:

Greg.

Whilst we're on a name-and-shame, Freeport CQB up in Scotland, run by the same chaps who do CQBScotland.

The staff on the ground were fantastic. Really professional, courteous and trying at all times to keep players going and make sure the games were running well.

However.

The home team (ACU wearers with a canine related name) were a bunch of cheating *Ubarflock*. And remember, this is coming from someone who grew up airsofting in HONG KONG.

When "moving out of the line of fire" whilst waiting for a medic, it is acceptable to move a couple of feet in any direction to avoid getting used as mobile cover or getting shot to bits.

It is NOT, however, permissible to jog a good twenty or thirty feet into cover, which just happens at the time to be hiding a friendly medic. This is blatantly cheating.

In the safety brief, it is clearly stated that a single hit on a gun, piece of kit, hat etc counts as a hit. This includes boots. This includes chest rigs. This includes the silencer on the end of your gun that you love to poke around corners. This includes your goggles. This includes your helmets.

Also, to the individual who honestly tried to pass off being caught not taking hits with "my plate carrier would have stopped it if it was a real bullet". Fair enough, it might have, if:

1) It was loaded with both soft and hard armour, and consequently weighed about 20 pounds, which, oddly enough, it wasn't.

2) I hadn't followed up the first shot to your back with a further 5, which you also ignored.

3) I had used a real gun with a real bullet in something that wasn't an airsoft event.

And to the person who was playing as the Team Captain on the home team - When you are dead, you MAY shout 'medic'. You MAY NOT use your radio to relay your exact location to your teammates, along with how many enemies are in the area, along with a detailed summary of our positions. You may find that if you do, as you did, we will shoot you again. And when you get angry and physically confrontational and threatening, remember that it is confusing for us, as we were operating under the assumption that you were not dead and waiting for a medic. You certainly weren't acting like one, as laid down in the rules of your own home site.

And most of all, to the owner of the site, who asked us how the day was, and recieved only polite, positive and constructive criticism in return:

1) You said, on your own forums, that a cooked lunch would be included in the £25 non-rental site fee. It was not. The facilities to provide such were conspicuously absent from the site. We were instead told that we could drive several miles to the nearest shop or PAY for overpriced packets of crisps from your koisk, which didn't have enough to provide ONE for each player.

2) Your replies were childish and badly written in the manner of a hormonal, angry 13-year old defending his sexuality in the comment boxes on a youtube video. This was unexpected, especially as you, yourself, had asked us for our honest opinion on the day.

3) Banning me, one of your - until then, stauch supporters - and several other people considered regulars of another site for providing constructive criticism in a polite manner is not going to endear you to us. Neither will deleting the thread on your forums where the criticisms were being discussed in a positive and agreeable manner by players.

It is a pity, as the site could be really excellent. Which is why we gave honest criticism. Like the fact that advertising it a CQB/FIBUA site and then only allowing us to actually enter 5 buildings out of a potential 100. Instead it became a corridoor shooter. An expensive one.

Phew. That was cathartic.

^Above, don't want to quote all.

Guess i wont be going there then.

The only problem is that up here there is not much in the way of sites.

One in Dundee which is a 2hr drive minimum and a local one which is nice but too few people and not the same feel as a real game.

'FireKnife'

Whilst we're on a name-and-shame, Freeport CQB up in Scotland, run by the same chaps who do CQBScotland.

etc.

Phew. That was cathartic.

Good man, get it all out.

More importantly, we now all know, what to expect when we visit. ;)

Greg.

I just want to have a decent site within a reasonable drive, may see if i can go back to one of the farmers up here and rent some land and open a site.

'FireKnife'

Good idea. If you can get a decent deal, it's great. Unfortunately a lot of 'farmers' are wising up & will ask for a small fortune for a day on that otherwise useless bit of forest that they can't farm. :(

Greg.

Especially as i found out how much the insurance is etc.

Should be a good idea to finally get round to though.

'FireKnife'

'Public Liability', can be had for between £500 & £1500 per annum. It covers bugger all but is what most legitimate sites have.

It's one of the requirements made by the home office for the 'airsoft site' definition. TBH, unless you want to advertise heavily or get involved with ukara etc, it's not worth having. A sensible risk assessment should reveal any liability. Which would probably be 'excluded' by the PL policy anyway. It's not a legal requirement & doesn't cover the players or anything they do.

So, put a fiver aside from your first 100 customers & you are done. Or keep it small & just don't bother.

Greg.

:\ So why do you have to have PLI to have a bouncy castle based event if it covers bugger all? Is it to cover you if you decide to go on a rampage and twock some kid with it?

No more free insurance information. Read the policy, schedule & exclusions. If you don't understand it, spend 2 or 3 years getting a cii. ;)

Greg.

I got banned from zeroin for saying that I played somewhere else, I was later unbanned but a bunch of posts where deleted. I used to play at gz regulary but it got *suitcase*, I think the last time I played there was in 2006 on the weekend game, its a shame as it used to be really fun before they got rid of the guy who ran the games there, I play at his new site now and thats really cool, its kinda how I imagine airsoft used to be, its fairly small scale and good fun.

I must be really lucky, my local, Ravens in Suffolk is great. really good attitude from the regulars a;ways helping out the new guys very positive owner who plays with us and is always asking for feedback and game ideas to keep gameplay interesting. The site is some 12 acres of woodland, with fields and a sub-station surrounding it, so limited in expanding it. But its still a great site. I just wish there was a cqb site in the area, and we would be set here in the east.

I got banned from zeroin for saying that I played somewhere else, I was later unbanned but a bunch of posts where deleted. I used to play at gz regulary but it got *suitcase*, I think the last time I played there was in 2006 on the weekend game, its a shame as it used to be really fun before they got rid of the guy who ran the games there, I play at his new site now and thats really cool, its kinda how I imagine airsoft used to be, its fairly small scale and good fun.

I haven't played at GZ for over a year but had heared it had gone down hill. I could see it comming. Although all the visits I had (baring an incodent with one twat) were good, I was hearing more & more folk with tales of woe.

Where is this new, 'good' site & what is it called?

What is "Speedballing"? Is this a colloquial term for paintball?

That video looked like an (American) Civil War battle, but with assault rifles, instead of muskets!! :D

Speed-balling was a term that I only ever heard applied to paintball.

It refereed to a small, enclosed arena (usually the size of a five a side soccor pitch), with small obstacles for cover. A simple objective, like a flag was usually placed in the middle. Action would start as soon as the game started, as you could see the objective & possibly hit opponents. Games could be won in less than 30 seconds, hence, 'speed'ball.

A google search will possibly give you more of an idea.

Greg.

I haven't played at GZ for over a year but had heared it had gone down hill. I could see it comming. Although all the visits I had (baring an incodent with one twat) were good, I was hearing more & more folk with tales of woe.

Where is this new, 'good' site & what is it called?

http://teamsmd.blackaqua.com/sow/

Archived