Your most epic fail purchase

Ecthelion

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also what a bad sounding CQB site, better when you have the tactical play of semi only and limited close engagements, makes it much, much more fun.

'FireKnife'

I'd have liked it MORE had they stayed semi auto. The warm up game was played semi, but after that it was full auto. Now mix that up with loads of excitable kids and the chance to be over killed goes waaaay up.

Anyway I'm drawing us off topic, sorry!!

I disagree, I hate being restricted to semi, snap shooting a 5 round burst is second nature to me and can hardly be considered over kill.

Semi auto is also horrifically bad for AEG gearboxes.

The reason I stopped playing at the mall was the semi rules.

That may be true, but for every controlled shooter such as yourself, there will be 10 mini-gunners itching to empty their mags into the first target to enter their sights.

In woodland games, though, I am very glad to be rid of fire restrictions. AEGs can echo indoors but outdoors they aren't anywhere near as loud - a few short bursts aimed at a solid barricade can go far to help suppress an enemy player.

In an ideal world I'd be an advocate for no fire restrictions, entrusting the player base to use common sense.. :)

True Stunt but on gas and spring nights back at Britsol it was always semi only. Made for a different style of play as at that site with full auto you could just lock it down with four well placed players, but on semi you had to actually move.

I think often it is to ban the hosers that just lay waste to anything they see, a quick burst of 3-5 is fine, a long pull of 300-500 isn't.

'FireKnife'

the problem is simple, just because YOU can pull a quick 3-5 snapshot, most people who are given the 'full-auto' go ahead will lay down hi-caps worth of suppressing fire. And as fireknife said, especially at bristol, you can lock that place down hard with just 3 or 4 people with a hi-cap and a heavy trigger finger.

DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!

Ork player per chance :P

But still i must admit i have yet to see long term players go for auto, in fact many seem to almost lock their guns on semi and stay that way for the day ;)

But i find giving people full auto indoors with no limit is a bugger as there will always be the one with the lead finger and the 500 round hi-cap.

'FireKnife'

That's down to marshalling then, I'm sick (in airsoft as well as life) of being restricted in what I do because somebody has legislated for idiots.

Ban the idiots, let sensible people do what they like.

Also, I never played at Bristol so this might be a stupid question but if being held up by 4 spamming mooks why not try the liberal application of explosives?

I've not played TT in years, but I've got the Dawn of War games. Love 'em!

I just find Orks and everything they do to be hilarious!

Maybe the issues with hosers could be solved with clever, timed objectives, forcing players to keep moving instead of hunkering down and letting rip?

Edit: Premature postaculation due to iPhone, sorry!

That's down to marshalling then, I'm sick (in airsoft as well as life) of being restricted in what I do because somebody has legislated for idiots.

Ban the idiots, let sensible people do what they like.

Also, I never played at Bristol so this might be a stupid question but if being held up by 4 spamming mooks why not try the liberal application of explosives?

True, but marsahlling at Bristol was not easy, it is a maze and if you hear a burst of full auto by the time you get there you wouldn't know who did it, just get wild accusations flying around.

Yep, but then most sites would lose about 50% of the paying customers, you have a choice, idiots or an actual site. I hate to say i would choose the former.

Due to the fact it is carpeted and still owned by the local council (it is a courthouse in disrepair), combined with them being finicky enough about use shooting in there means we can't. They do have there own pyro but when you get locked down by full auto it was in areas where you could have two angles of fire and one grenade would only take one player out, not the other one, two or three that were chucking shots at you.

Maybe the issues with hosers could be solved with clever, timed objectives, forcing players to keep moving instead of hunkering down and letting rip?

You would think so but no. The last time we had an objective that we had to hunt down it became a stalemate over one part of the site, so i went off for a wander, found the objective that no-one had found, disarmed it (well did what needed to be done to it) walked it back the start and placed it down, told a marshal then they decided to leave the firefight going, to see how long it would take to dawn on either side. :P

'FireKnife'

That's a shame.

I think the best plan is to design a site from the ground up that is easy to marshal.

Identify the positions from which a defender can hold you up and make sure that there are at least 3 or 4 positions that an attacker can move into and fire from to take out the defender.

Force the players to stay mobile to survive.

Too many times I have been at a woodland site that has realistic bunkers and fortifications that would make a fun game if the weapons were as accurate and had the range of real weapons.

Sadly the people designing the site have forgotten that this is airsoft.

The maximum range you want to be engaging people at is about 20m, any more that that and the accuracy is off, the bbs don't have enough energy left when they arrive to hit people hard enough for them to realise and the traverse time is so long people can just [keanu] dodge bullets [/keanu].

Site designers need to forget being cool and try to be fun.

That's a shame.

Site designers need to forget being cool and try to be fun.

It is but as the building was already set out they don't have much choice. They just added reasonable barricades and then run games there. It is a good site, but is restricted by what they can do.

Though i see your point about outdoors sites etc. Really you need to reduce a few things, like the engagement distances as well as the spotting distances. I have attended a few sites that basically gave you a chance to see your opponent coming from about 100 metres out, so you just waited til he was in range and loosed off a few shots. Too many places are too far apart, really airsoft is a game of close quarters and when you get to the end of an AEGs range that is where the accusations and the issues crop up. At least when indoors you know that if you are firing a shot and it isn't hitting you are either off or your opponent is cheating, range is not an issue (plus often as it is up close and hard cover you can see and hear what you have hit anyway).

Is there a "benchmark" site that all others should aspire to?

Run by F&O seems to be the most obvious answer here. :P

'FireKnife'

TRIPLE POST, post, post, post, post.

Sorry couldn't resist :P

Still will have to see if F&O want to set a site up here, seriously a good few players up here, but no dedicated site. ;)

'FireKnife'

Yeah I got a new fail purchase! This flipping iPhone!!! Argh!

F&O I hear about all the time, but their web shop doesn't fit the hype.

Might as well post here. Relatively minor fail, it was a mesh faceguard. Wayyyy too wide for my face, I can't get a good cheekweld and aim down my optics :(

I love my teeth though, so I need to keep wearing it.

Ah I had the same! Is your the one that wraps around the face back past the ears?

In any case the mask is all mesh, you can alleviate most of the fitting problems by gently bending the mesh in places to get a better fit. It won't perfectly resolve your cheek weld issues but it will improve the mask fit a lot!

Good luck!

Archived