It's finally happened

Slayer

Doctors call for ban on kitchen knives

A group of doctors called on Friday for a ban on the sale of long, pointed kitchen knives which are used in up to half of all stabbings.

"Many assaults are impulsive ... and the long pointed kitchen knife is an easily available potentially lethal weapon, particularly in the domestic setting," Dr Emma Hern and colleagues at West Middlesex University Hospital in London said in the British Medical Journal.

Long knives were traditionally used to spear meat and lift it from the plate to the mouth but times and table manners have changed. When the researchers surveyed 10 chefs, none gave a reason why a long pointed knife was essential. Short ones were just as good.

A leading manufacturer of knives was also at a loss to say why long pointed knives were needed and admitted its designs are based on traditional shapes.

If a ban is enforced, the researchers believe it would reduce the availability of the knives over the next few years.

"We suggest that banning the sale of long pointed knives is a sensible and practical measure," they added.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone start a new thread:

"What else will they ban?"

My guesses?

Wooden pencils - unusually sharp and dangerous. Mechanical ones are just as good, without as much pointy danger.

Automobiles - senseless death and destruction!

Alcohol - Good god!

Hats - Sometimes they're just too tight.

Books - Inspiring young'ns to use their minds! Dangerous stuff.

Tables - Those pointy corners are deadly.

*feel free to add more*

I can kinda see where they are coming from though

yeah, i get what you mean, but if the law keep tighten itself, then it will get to a point where we cant even use pencils that are longer than 3.5 inches. what they should instead of have done, it's trying to fix the teenage problem, just like airsoft, the real airsofters dont do anything stuipd, it's those chavs/spases out there who use airsoft on the street.... and yet we get the blame for it... tools are not the stuff to blame, the users are.

eidt : mis spell cant to can <_<

Then again if they really start to tighten the law we'll end up with rebellion

Its a simple one, to follow you only got to look at other country's where its happend due to law problems and we are heading straight for one :(

Although if the government is stupid, enough not to see this coming then they deserve to get thrown out straight away.

Night_raven

P.S - IM NOT EVEN SUGGESTING TO START A REBELLION

Knives are not the problem, although they are usually unecessarily long and pointy, to be fair. The problem is, as ever, people.

The common man, and I'm afraid from my middle class seat up here in the clouds (hello!) a lot of people fall into this category (not because they are common or poor, but because there are so many [the vast majority] that are the same) is selfish, ill-informed, fairly stupid, and reactionary.

Maybe there should be a large amount of time and money spent finding out the reasons why people are so willing to commit acts of violence to each other, unfortunately a cursory thought or two suggests that the main things are probably:

Education: poorly educated parents usually don't enforce education in their children. We all know what it's like on many council estates. There's a good reason why a lot of a certain kind of person are on estates; they're poor; because they're not educated or are lazy, which is a sign of bad education in people who can't afford to be. If your intelligent and poor you work. If your stupid your lazy.

Cultural acceptance of violence: desperation comes from bad circumstances, most commonly being too poor to do anything. This fuels crime, crime begets violence. Desperation fuels violence as well.

Popular cultural influences: Gangsta rap is responsible for many many deaths. That is a fact. There are so many wannabe homeboys and the glamour of that crime culture is an instigator and a catalyst for violent crime.

Movies nearly always portray violence as glamourous, heroes are allowed to commit murder `in self defence` in almost every godamned film out these days, think about that for a second: You like an action film? Your kids can watch that action film? That action film almost certainly shows a hero taking the lives of dozens of faceless bad guys, that's dozens of sanctioned deaths!! Kids are influenced by films, ergo by violent films! There is no disputing that!

So many things like this can be easily seen to be big influences on violent culture, and the thing is, the sad thing, and also the good thing, is that the government is already doing all they can.

There is a massive misconception about politicians, especially in this country, that they aren't doing things properly and we could somehow do better. Horseshit. The real reasons why we have social problems are being tackled in the best way they can at all times, or as best as the top guys think, which is a lot better than any of us, let alone the general public.

Running a country is not an easy task, and considering the work they do compared to many other jobs, I for one think the prime minister is massively underpaid for one thing, think about all the execs who take home half a million a year, that's 3 times the PM's salary and he runs an entire country, his company `employs` 60 million people, and he has to house, feed, structure, police, nurse and reprimand them all. Hats off to the bloody prime minister, really.

Gangsta Rap:

Ok one massive problem with that there, if it always portrays violence then why is it alowed in this country, i mean for example people such as 50 cent, they portray alot of violence and this my friends where it leads to the knife problem and gun problem. for example this is to Hardcore how many bands have you seen apart from the odd few have been seen to portray violence as a act of life. as far as im aware none.

Night_raven

P.s - as for council estate's there 4 of them around my island town so thats the area of main problem

Gangsta Rap:

Ok one massive problem with that there, if it always portrays violence then why is it alowed in this country, i mean for example people such as 50 cent, they portray alot of violence and this my friends where it leads to the knife problem and gun problem. for example this is to Hardcore how many bands have you seen apart from the odd few have been seen to portray violence as a act of life.  as far as im aware none.

Night_raven

P.s - as for council estate's there 4 of them around my island town so thats the area of main problem

So what, you don't have to do as they do, I think we should get rid of Cradle of Filth too then, they talk about killing people and raping corpses. =/

EDIT: I live in a council estate, living in one of the three houses that isn't actually rented, and has been brought, and I see the same problems round here that I do round any other estate.

Gangsta Rap:

Ok one massive problem with that there, if it always portrays violence then why is it alowed in this country, i mean for example people such as 50 cent, they portray alot of violence and this my friends where it leads to the knife problem and gun problem. for example this is to Hardcore how many bands have you seen apart from the odd few have been seen to portray violence as a act of life.  as far as im aware none.

Night_raven

Another thing to point out is that rap isn't music, it's just jibberish. As an editor in Time magazine said: "Just because they rhyme, doesn't mean it's music". And it's true. besides, they only sing ######, nothing even worth listening, and it does give ideas to people on how to kill in some 'songs', meh, I hate rap (hip-hop, reggea, tex-mex, etc. I hate too), I think it's societies scum.

personally i think the i dea of a song is when human voice plays part of the music instrument. and rap is having human voice completely stands out, being two seperate things to the beat... so i think... it's wrong...

Archived