• No
    • Are you retarded?
    • Why would I do that?
    • How do I do that?

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of all the AEG's I've ever owned, I only removed the fuse from one and that was the Academy L85A1. On single shot and 3 to 5 shot bursts, everything was fine. Go for a 'hose', the fuse would blow. I'd replace the fuse with the rating listed in the manual and the gun would do the same thing again. I think the fuse listed was the wrong value. Not that it matters now as I've sold the gun.

I can see why some people remove their fuses. If a gun has been upgraded somewhere, more current could well be required to drive the motor. This extra current could well blow the fuse. Even I'd have problems working out what the new value of the fuse should be.

At the end of the day, the maxim of 'Fuses cheap. Everything else expensive' works for me.

• 2 years later...

NECROPOST! ;)

But as not to spam. I remove the fuse from all of my guns when they get rewired and a mosfet fitted. I use LiPo batteries and the current that they put out compaired to a NiMh battery is alot more than the usual AEG fuse can handle.

Josh

I accidently touched a red and black wire while i was soldering in a mosfet. After a giant spark, :o I thought I lost my gun but nope just blew the fuse instead. Thank you Mr. Fuse.

Perhaps it would have been a better idea not soldering a live circuit :blink:

Perhaps it would have been a better idea not soldering a live circuit :blink:

LOL, Well let me rephrase that. I just finished soldering. When I went to test it the electrical wire around the soldering actually slipped down a little some how. It worked for a few shots until KABOOM! :P

I think the answer should be, if you are a new player then keep the fuse in, if you are capable of stripping your gun and have spares then its up to you.

The added resistance of a fuse in standard guns is minimal (fractions of an ohm) and unless you were determined to extract the absolute maximum performance then leave it in.

Simply adding better wire and Deans would more than cover the fuse resistance.

motors can handle a lot more power than they are designed for

your motor will last a lot longer on hi voltage than your fuse, so i remove my fuse so that i don't have to replace it every time i fire full auto for longer than 2 seconds

as long as you don't keep pressing the trigger when your gun jams you'll be fine

does anyone have experience with those electronic fuses (the one who have a reset function)

your motor will last a lot longer on hi voltage than your fuse, so i remove my fuse so that i don't have to replace it every time i fire full auto for longer than 2 seconds

as long as you don't keep pressing the trigger when your gun jams you'll be fine

/quote]

The fuse is designed to blow when excess current flows through, not high voltage. As long as it is the correctly rated fuse for the current consumption of the motor, it will not blow, no matter how long you run the motor for.

This question comes up every now & then & I repeat that you should never-ever in any circumstances, use any electrical system without a fuse.

The consequences can range from knackering the electrics (battery, fet, motor, wiring, switch etc.) to having the gun catch fire.

However, none of my (over 20) aegs have fuses.

I remove them to save space & increase rof.

But, don't do it. It is silly & dangerous.

Greg.

PS, Mamba, I believe 2 & a half years is a new record for necro, nice. ;)

a motor will only pull the current it needs, adding a larger battery doesnt push more current through the system.

it allows a greater supply the motor can draw if it needs.

ive used an 11.1v 5000mAh 20c lipo, in a stock jg ak with a 15Amp fuse with no trouble, so from the 100Amps

available the motor was not puling enough to blow the fuse. if it jammed or a short occured the current would

increase to the batterys maximum and that would be bad.

so i use fuses.

i have tried the polyfuse resettable, they seem to be decent rated at 11-16Amps, ive only had them cut out

due to the heat from FETs (mounted between them), away from heat they should only cutout with excess current.

Fuse? What fuse?

I rip them out of my guns as the first thing when I get them home, the darn things are only a PITA to work with. Apply commen sense instead, like STOP PULLING THE BLOODY TRIGGER THEN THE GUN IS NOT RESPONDING OR SOUNDS ODD.

I have achived a measured 3.187% increase in RoF only by fuse removal, so I would not call it unnotisable to do this. Also there are guns comming directly from the factory without a fuse installed.

Archived