10 year olds convicted of rape?

aznriptide859

I'm regularly verbally abused on the way back from work by 8-14 year olds trying to ponse my hard earned cigarettes.

The reason i don't either make horrific verbal threats, chin the little pricks or throw them into a bin?

There's a very real chance one of them will stick a pen knife in my back. It's a sad story.

Ten year olds raping a girl of 8 years of age? Man thats just *fruitcage*ed up.

But with my thinking cap on, maybe someone could correct me, sometimes when children (Yes children, they where ten years of age when they committed this crime) do something similar to this, its due to they them selves being abused. Basically they see it as normal behaviour and as such don't think that there is any harm/wrong in it.

I am in no way saying this is the case with these two, but again, when it comes to crimes committed by children, it is a very fine line to tread. What is punishment for children, that maybe unaware of crime, or indeed, do's and don'ts.

It's called bad parenting. Keep the little *suitcases* in line, and stuff like this just doesn't happen.

People complain about how things were better when they were younger? Well *fruitcage* control your children then, dipstick, and this wouldn't happen. A little bit of discipline goes a long way.

It's what comes of your left-wing, 'softly softly' parenting approach, and the laws surrounding it.

I have grown up with mature parents - my parents were 40 when they had me.

If I stepped out of line, I got a good smacking. If I didn't do as I was told, I got a good smacking. And so on.

Discipline breeds discipline.

These girls are having the kids at 16, aren't allowed to smack them, and if they even raise their voice to the kids, Social Services swoops in and takes the child away. Ironically, if they abuse the child, Social Services don't bother doing anything.

Ben.

Amen to that^.

Kinda sad really, at that age kids should be able to play & walk home from the park without worrying about being grabbed by other kids and subjected to God-knows-what. When children are at the age that they learn to lie ( 5 or 6 roughly ), that is the age they know right form wrong & learn how to cover up their actions by fabricating the truth- at 10-11, they damn well know that attacking a girl and trying to rape her is wrong ( I dont recall Bulger's killers being mistreated beaten with rocks or ran over by a train before they thought it was normal to do it to someone else, <_< ). Lock 'em up for a long time and teach them some discipline- along with the parents ( super nanny programme required me thinks for some of these numbnuts ).

On the topic of discipline a friend of mine works as a school teacher and she's told me on several occations that her and some of her colleagues are actually terrorfied of the students they teach and that they're just uncontrolable.

Am sure Jamie Bulger wasn't ran over by a train (He was found by children, not a train driver and trust me, train drivers tend to be pretty sharp when there is something on the line, normaly), unless of course the official statement of how and who found him is wrong, then I stand corrected.

What I was trying to say before was not a defence for these two kids to commit rape/attempted rape (Which is what they have been charged with, attempted rape). It was merely a view as to why they would do it in the first place. The reason as to why they did, or if even they knew they shouldn't being doing it, we will probably never know. Will we learn anything from this if we just lock them up, no we wont. I think its sad that never, when a child commits a crime that the parents are not held accountable. If I was to brake someones window when I was ten, my father/mother would have to foot the bill.

At the age of ten, some children have not learnt right from wrong, its a sorry state of affairs. I find that young mothers tell thier children off for very minor things in the home (Like playing with thier toys, whilst mum wants to watch the tv), though if thier child bites another child in school the parent(s) is quick to defend thier child, as they dont want anyone telling them how to be a parent.

Edit:- And another phrase used is "He/she, is only a kid", when they have just rammed there motorbike into your garden wall. This is a true story, though it did not happen to me.

Edit2:- What I meant by "If we just lock them up", is, that if we don't look into why they did it, we may not be able, if ever, to prevent it from happening again. People need to realise that bringing a child up is very serious. You're a parent first, friend second.

Edit 3:- I have just seen this on the BBC website:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8703596.stm

It just goes to show, that age doesn't always come in to it with bad parenting (I know this is completely different to this thread, but it is linked to my view of parent(s) not being responsible with thier children). If this story is true (All the details mentioned in the artical, that is), then the parent in question should be arrested for abusing thier child (Thats right isn't it? Neglect is chargable under abuse?).

"Left wing" parenting? :unsure:

I think he means bad parenting. I think he'd agree that someone who mercilessly beat their children wouldn't be described as "right wing" parenting although that seems to be what his post would suggest.

Adding "left wing" in is probably just a symptom of reading the Daily Mail too much. ;)

To all those yelling 'HANG THEM' and 'SHOOT THE PARENTS', please read this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markeaston/2010/05/did_rape_trial_serve_public_in.html

Particularly:

The fact that the boys were accused of "statutory rape" raises further questions. The issue of consent from the eight-year-old girl did not apply in this case because the law assumes she is too young to give it. The jury did not need to consider whether this was a game of "doctors and nurses" that got out of hand, or even whether the girl had participated or encouraged the activities.

Their conclusion was simply that the boys tried and failed to have intercourse with her. With very young defendants there must be a question as to whether they can be expected to have an understanding of the complexities of the law in this area. It is one thing to "know right from wrong" but another to understand that the criminal justice system would regard touching private parts with a play-mate as potentially a matter which risks years in jail and a lifetime on the sex offenders register.

You may also wish to read the original article more carefully, particularly the bit about the girl admitting she was not wholly truthful about what had happened when telling her mother as she was afraid she would get in trouble. Adding the fact that they were caught by the girls mother, this raises the question as to whether it was simply a game of doctors and nurses that got out of hand and she lied to her mother so she would not be punished causing the entire incident to be blown out of proportion.

However, I just like all of you was not there or have access to any of the testimonies or related materials causing this to be simply presupposition on all sides. So please keep comments such as 'shoot them all in the spines' to yourselves.

Also, the two boys were not convicted of rape, they were convicted of attempted rape. I think everyone needs to read the article in full rather than just the headline.

To all those yelling 'HANG THEM' and 'SHOOT THE PARENTS', please read this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markeaston/2010/05/did_rape_trial_serve_public_in.html

Particularly:

You may also wish to read the original article more carefully, particularly the bit about the girl admitting she was not wholly truthful about what had happened when telling her mother as she was afraid she would get in trouble. Adding the fact that they were caught by the girls mother, this raises the question as to whether it was simply a game of doctors and nurses that got out of hand and she lied to her mother so she would not be punished causing the entire incident to be blown out of proportion.

However, I just like all of you was not there or have access to any of the testimonies or related materials causing this to be simply presupposition on all sides. So please keep comments such as 'shoot them all in the spines' to yourselves.

Also, the two boys were not convicted of rape, they were convicted of attempted rape. I think everyone needs to read the article in full rather than just the headline.

Blimey!

About the most level headed post I've ever read on here.

By way of reward, I hereby award you one free verbal tirade against the forum member of your choice. :D

How does a game of doctors and nurses get 'out of hand' exactly? (Between children - I know the adult version is a bit different ;))

It is possible the children saw the girls mother approaching and panicked believing they would get in trouble (as even though children playing doctors and nurses are curious they still know from their parents that 'privates' are private). This could be a reason for why the mother thought the boys were hurting the girl but again, this is all assumption and theoretical. As the children have not reached the age where they start being taught personal development at school, it is also possible that they progressed past fumbling after 'learning' about sex from an alternative source.

I do question as to whether a prepubescent child can commit rape or attempt rape, as while rape is more about control than sex, it is reliant on a sex drive which prepubescent children do not have.

Also, thank you Stealth. :wub:

How does a game of doctors and nurses get 'out of hand' exactly? (Between children - I know the adult version is a bit different ;))

You gotta be kidding, right?

With TV shows like Hollyoaks and 90210, I'm pretty sure most of the kids who watch those kind of shows are well aware what most sex acts involve these days.

Thing is, I admit that it seems like a 10 year old kid would have to be a bit "mature" to figure it all out but whichever way you slice it at least one of the kids MUST have known what to do or the situation wouldn't have arisen.

The only real issue is whether an 11 year old kid thought "Hmmm, I wanna try out sex so I'm gonna grab a foxy 8 year old and get jiggy" or if he managed to convince her to try some of the cool stuff he'd seen soap stars doing on Hollyoaks.

It could have gone either way IMO.

FWIW, there's a good chance parental screw-ups might have played a big part in this.

For all we know the kids dad left his back-issues of Hustler lying around where the kid could read them and get all sorts of big ideas or maybe he just googled "Paris Hilton" on his PC when his parents were out shopping.

Obviously somebody'll have asked the boys where they got the idea from and it'd be interesting to find out.

Archived