Is it illegal to wear airsoft / military gear in public?

Goldfinger

OP specifically stated this would not include any airsoft guns, just camo gear. Before you attack me personally for having bad reading comprehension, make sure you're understanding the topic clearly yourself.

I could understand giving a heads up for filming anything including getting permits if necessary, however; the idea of having to alert the rozzers for just going out in publc dressed like that is very disturbing to me. Granted I know you're not all saying that is necessary, but it seems at least a few posters were hinting towards that.

Maybe it's just me but I take my rights very seriously. I am of the opinion that if I am within the law then both the police and the public can kiss my pasty white behind. And I say that as someone who plans to go to police academy, so please don't assume I'm anti-authority. I just think that having to cover up who you are and what you do, even if it's legal, is politically correct nonsense. If we continue to hide as airsofters and/or firearms enthusiasts, then it just makes it even easier for the media to marginalize us and even show us as "extremists". When that happens it's all too easy to see our rights taken away. I say if you're an airsofter, wear that badge loud and proud and as long as you're within the bounds of law, screw what everyone thinks.

Please excuse me for dragging the debate off-topic.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There somethign wrong with um "gun nuts" sir?

I never saw an issue with you know...collecting machinery that fires projectiles for legal and collection purposes...

1) Firearms arent completely illegal in the UK

2) Gun nut is NOT equal to individual blalantly disobeying the gun laws and walking through a neighborhood armed

3) Comprehension is a virtue

4) Once again gun nut is not equal to person brandishing firearm in public, in fact i doubt there is 1 gun nut in the world who would do so.

5) Gun nut : Person who is interested in and collects firearms.

kthxbye

OP specifically stated this would not include any airsoft guns, just camo gear. Before you attack me personally for having bad reading comprehension, make sure you're understanding the topic clearly yourself.

There's a certain irony in you saying that when I haven't in fact mentioned GUNS anywhere in my posts. ;)

It's all very well saying "as long as I'm not breaking the law then I can do whatever I want" but the fact is that the law serves EVERYBODY and no just you.

That's why everybody from fox huntists to tree huggers have to get a permit before they're allowed to hold a protest.

If a bunch of people all decide to dress up as clowns and throw pies at each other in the street they might not be doing anything illegal but if they cause a bystander to have a heart attack then somebody's probably going to jail.

If you contact the local authorities or police and get their okay beforehand there's a lot less chance of you being found guilty of anything later on.

Maybe you see that as a sad loss of freedom but I see it as a responsible attitude when living in a modern society.

Read again ... Yes he stated that they wouldn't include the actual airsoft replicas BUT he specifically asked about carrying every other piece of equipment you could use when "airsofting", including tactical vests, helmets etc

At least here going out with camo gear is just fine, heck some people actually wears camo because they think that it's "fashionable" but going out in camo clothes AND wearing a fully geared vest, gloves, helmet etc isn't ok and that's asking for trouble for sure :waggle:

I think this should be within topic but have not seen anyone else mention this for the OPer it is actually quite important to know what property you are filming on Private or public.

I have had enough photo shoots and helped out with friends amateur film making (all uni film studies students so not one man and a camera stuff) and it is just good to make sure you know where your filming and who owns that place so that you don't get into any kind of trouble or simply have the irritants of some guy moving you along.

Though I feel the further from London the less of a problem this would be, for instance Canary wharf is entirely private owned and with out permission you will be move don (though permission can be as easy as walking into an office and saying can we please film it is non-profit *fill out blah form*).

Again Stewie, you failed to comprehend what was being said... danielsilva has it right... Wearing camo is fine, wearing camo, plus tactical gear, helmets, etc etc is iffy, and could cause alarm to the general public...

In todays society (especially considering the shootings in Cumbria), people are scared of guns and terrorism and all that, and if they see a person wearing a load of camo and tactical gear, they are going to ring the police... It's not the government at fault, or the police, or our "lack of rights" as you seem to believe, it's simply the fact that people are frightened of this kinda stuff, thanks to our over-sensationalist media...

The OP wouldn't be doing anything wrong, but, the British public being the British public, someone will ring the police, without fail. By contacting the Police and any local businesses before hand, the OP would then be able to avoid getting himself arrested and causing an enormous panic where-ever he intended to do said filming...

It seems your major problem here is differentiating between camo, and gear... The OP would not even need to think about contacting the police if he was simply wearing a pair of camo trousers... I wear my DPM trousers regularly. That's not an issue in the slightest... It's the fact that he intends to wear tactical gear as well that makes it advisable to alert the police beforehand. He technically doesn't need to, but it'll sure as hell help when little old 80 year old Doris from down the road sees a few people with cameras and camo and rings the police "Dear lord, help me Mr Policeman, there are terrorists in the high street" and the Police can then say "Ahh, that's alright, they're a group of film makers, they're not dangerous at all."

So, to sum everything up in short sentences you can understand:

• Wearing bits of camo, such as a pair of trousers is fine and does not require alerting the police
  • Wearing full camo, (jacket and trousers) is again fine, but looks a little suspicious
  • Wearing full camo and tactical gear is going to frighten people, and the police should probably be alerted

Pretty simple huh?

It's not illegal, but if in doubt, ring the Police...

Again Stewie, you failed to comprehend what was being said... danielsilva has it right... Wearing camo is fine, wearing camo, plus tactical gear, helmets, etc etc is iffy, and could cause alarm to the general public...

In todays society (especially considering the shootings in Cumbria), people are scared of guns and terrorism and all that, and if they see a person wearing a load of camo and tactical gear, they are going to ring the police... It's not the government at fault, or the police, or our "lack of rights" as you seem to believe, it's simply the fact that people are frightened of this kinda stuff, thanks to our over-sensationalist media...

+1, I've had run ins with the scared public with this mentality

An airsofter friend wanted to test out his newly made ghillie suit in the local woods. We pulled up the car as close as we could and started unloading the kit out of the car. It was a quiet street and there weren't many people about, just a few people in their houses. I had a few loose mags in the boot and decided to plonk them in my kit bag and take it out with us, typically i also had my AEG in there. My mate decides to put the suit on in the street, considering it wasn't that much of a main road. Within 3 minutes an undercover police car pulls up and out pops a female community support officer asking we were doing. This gathered a crowd in the form of every house in the street watching us.

We very calmly explained what we were doing and she asked what was in my kit bag, i answered honestly and she asked me to leave it in the car, which i did. She threatened that if there was any monkey business it would be likely we would be killed by armed response if there was another call out or if some bystander saw us. A little heavy handed i though, but i didn't say anything.

We spent the rest on the afternoon in the woods uncontested and had a fun time trying the find the guy in the ghillie. But it did worry me how quickly the cops pounced on us considering not ONE gun was on show and i wasn't even in fatigues! It also worried me how the community officer used armed response as a scare story to stop us from doing much.

It does depress me that we feel so scared in this country that we can't let some kids run around in the woods playing army. Granted i am a bit old at 25 to run around in the woods :P

You're not too old to run around the woods playing army. You're on a forum full of people who spend every other weekend doing just that. :D

I've gone into a McDonald's in full kit - uniform, vest, thigh holsters, everything except RIFs. To the best of my knowledge, it did not "cause fear" - no-one ran out screaming about invasions or terrorists or whatever, I got served, ordered and paid for my junk food, collected it and left. No problem.

As long as you're decently covered up, you can wear pretty much whatever you want, legally speaking. If your chosen airsofting loadout is an ultra-realistic police outfit, maybe you *could* be charged with impersonating a police officer, but most likely ONLY if you actually try to pretend you are a police officer. Dressing like one isn't a crime, just trying to pass yourself off as one.

However - you should always think sensibly. If you're going to be making a film in a semi-public place, you should probably inform people. At a minimum, you NEED to get permission from the owners of whatever land you're on. If you think there's a chance that the police might get calls about your activities, it'd be prudent to give them a heads-up about the times when you're going to be there, what you're going to be doing, things like that. That way if they get calls OUTSIDE those times, they won't ignore them thinking it's your harmless film crew, and while you're there they'll probably just reassure anyone who calls that it's just some filming and not to worry.

If the area is very public, consider moving somewhere else. Or put up signs well in advance to let people who use the area know what will be going on so they're not surprised to find what seem to be zombies roaming the park. Or whatever.

Above all, you have to play nice with your local community - you have to keep living there, after all.

TBH, I really don't think the actual clothing is the issue.

If, as Hedg' says, a handful of guys make a run to the chip-shop during a skirmish nobody's going to freak out if there's a couple of guys wearing military kit stood in the queue while another 2 or 3 stand outside and smoke tabs etc.

I guess only the OP knows what his film is going to be like but if, for example, it's going to be some "Trigger Happy TV" style film with half a dozen guys in uniform running around a shopping mall then he really IS asking for trouble if he doesn't get permission to do it first.

TBH, I really cant see how anybody in their right mind might think otherwise.

My team has more than once entered a corner shop or a restaurant dressed in full camo; we get weird looks, but we don't get called up to the police. Some interested may even ask what we're doing. I do remember some fool that walked into a Subway once with his pistol holster on WITH HIS SIDEARM IN IT - now THAT did almost get us called up.

Though this "situation" is probably best described by Alan from The Hangover:

"It's not illegal, it's frowned upon...like masturbating in an airplane."

I think that if Hollywood needs to contact the police about simulated combat scene and explosions and such (ever seen the show Mythbusters? They always have an LEO or similar personnel out there for explosions or combat sim) then the little people shouldn't be an exception. However if you are walking around with just camo and video camera people will just give you weird looks. Combat vest and helmet would be suspicious in my opinion, if I was an LEO I would start questioning you if I saw you in a combat vest and helmet and such.

Manx law is different to that of the UK (no VCRA for example) If your wearing Tac vests your fine, i have done the same thing myself getting a loaf and a pint of milk and nobody looked twice. If your wearing a helmet and goggles then everyone will either just think your foreign or on day release.

As long as you're decently covered up, you can wear pretty much whatever you want, legally speaking. If your chosen airsofting loadout is an ultra-realistic police outfit, maybe you *could* be charged with impersonating a police officer, but most likely ONLY if you actually try to pretend you are a police officer. Dressing like one isn't a crime, just trying to pass yourself off as one.

I skirmish in Police kit and i've never had a problem. A few times there have been police visiting the site for one reason or another or even playing and non of them ever had a problem. Even had a few useful pointers. But i've seen my teams pics up on Z1 and some old salt was frothing at the mouth say its illegal blah blah. If he was a police officer as he so claimed then he would be better read up on the law.

its could certainly be argued that you actually have a lawfull defence to wear military uniform in a public place if you are making a movie or preforming a play

check this

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/RevisedStatutes/Acts/ukpga/1894/cukpga_18940045_en_1

old i grant you but still on the "books" so to speak.

however i certainly recommend that you contact the local police to explain what you are doing. there maybe permits for filming in a public place that you also require that they'll usually help you obtain. also remeber tghat the police have recivied some pretty intense criticism for using their stop and search powers (and in some cases seizure of equipment) of people taking pictures of public buliding/places under under section 44 of the Terrorism Act.

recommend that you talk before you have to explain. if you are chakllenged by indivdual officers always mention the rank name and number and station of the officer you talked to to get permission. might be worth contact your local concil to let them know to as they will be a far bigger pain than the civilian police whom frankly have more important stuff to deal with.

hope this helps

I skirmish in Police kit and i've never had a problem. A few times there have been police visiting the site for one reason or another or even playing and non of them ever had a problem. Even had a few useful pointers. But i've seen my teams pics up on Z1 and some old salt was frothing at the mouth say its illegal blah blah. If he was a police officer as he so claimed then he would be better read up on the law.

Does your police kit have genuine badges of an actual existing police service? If so, you could *maybe* be on shaky legal ground *IF* someone were to make a complaint. My own urban outfit is more "police inspired" and has no police badges or even the word "police" on it. But that's me, I'm not intending to be "plodsim".

As long as you don't start trying to direct traffic or gain any kind of advantage by letting people believe you are a real police officer, you shouldn't have any problems. You have a legitimate reason for dressing in that way, and if you don't try to do anything naughty, I can't see why any police officers you meet would have an issue with it - and as you say, they haven't so far, so I take that as supporting my point of view. :)

its could certainly be argued that you actually have a lawfull defence to wear military uniform in a public place if you are making a movie or preforming a play

check this

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/RevisedStatutes/Acts/ukpga/1894/cukpga_18940045_en_1

Hmmmm...

This bit doesn't sound too promising:-

...shall not prevent any persons from wearing any uniform or dress in the course of a stage play performed in a place duly licensed or authorised for the public performance of stage plays, or in the course of a music hall or circus performance...

Important bit in bold.

It seems the Uniform Act only gives you the right to wear a uniform in a licensed or authorised location.

The hard part there is that it's going to be a total bugger of a job to obtain that kind of authorisation for a public location.

Beyond that, I think it'd be unwise to rely on something like the Uniform Act as a defence against more contemporary charges.

If (assuming, for the sake of discussion, that you DO have authorisation to make the movie in, say, a shopping centre) you have a bunch of people dressed in military uniform who start acting in a way which might "cause fear and alarm" then citing the Uniform Act won't stop the cops hauling you away for a public order offence.

Surely that only applies to a fully authentic replica uniform with realistic badges, logos, etc? :unsure: Most airsofters don't bother to go as far as genuine logos, badges and insignia of real units, only the most hard-core geardoes and mil-simmers would go that far, I guess.

Brings us back to the whole "impersonating and officer" thing - if you're not trying to claim that you *ARE* a police officer, SWAT team member, soldier, whatever and you don't have any genuine markings of real world units, then you *should* be in the clear in case of such a charge.

As for public order offenses and "causing fear" - I still don't really see how walking down the street wearing DPM and an assault vest is going to cause a great amount of fear, but hey, some people are pretty jumpy these days, I guess.

Well I knew the CEO of my company was semi into paintball / looked at airsoft so as I had my stuff with me I decided to show him and a couple of other guys but even though I knew no one within the office would freak if they saw it in the hands of the CEO I still went to a side meeting room out of sight so no one would do a stupid and run into the windows or something.

It is similar with full on gear the public gets spooked easily.. blame the news and its fear mongering.

Though I must say I have pretty much walked in full tactical gear down Northampton high street and had nothing but the odd stare and a couple of guys commenting on the fact I was wearing body armour.

Does your police kit have genuine badges of an actual existing police service? If so, you could *maybe* be on shaky legal ground *IF* someone were to make a complaint. My own urban outfit is more "police inspired" and has no police badges or even the word "police" on it. But that's me, I'm not intending to be "plodsim".

As long as you don't start trying to direct traffic or gain any kind of advantage by letting people believe you are a real police officer, you shouldn't have any problems. You have a legitimate reason for dressing in that way, and if you don't try to do anything naughty, I can't see why any police officers you meet would have an issue with it - and as you say, they haven't so far, so I take that as supporting my point of view. :)

We just wear generic police badges. Theres a lot of people wringing their hands as to what they think counts as "impersonation" but we had a real bobby on our team for a while so its not like we weren't aware of the law. We don't wear our kit to the site, we skirmish, was take it off, we go home. Plus as I previously mentioned we encountered no problems with visiting/other bobby players too.

As for public order offenses and "causing fear" - I still don't really see how walking down the street wearing DPM and an assault vest is going to cause a great amount of fear, but hey, some people are pretty jumpy these days, I guess.

I don't think I ever suggested it would.

If the OP is planning on making a movie which requires a scene where several people are walking along a street dressed in military kit he'll be fine.

However, given the nature of his comments about "pirates vs soldiers", I was just pointing out that if he IS planning on any kind of shennanigans in public then it's probably not wise.

So to round up:

Filming, check for permissions needed of property owner.

Tactical gear should be ok as long as no panic will be caused by it but still ringing the plods or going into the correct branch would be best.

Do not impersonate a police officer or any military personnel.

Yes?

Archived