A sidearm or no sidearm?

208 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use an airsoft sidearm?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

I don't carry an airsoft sidearm for a couple reasons. First, I don't own one and my wife would flip out if I spent the money on one because she says I have too many real guns - I don't need more toy guns on top of them. Second is that I hate having to dedicate space on my rig for extra magazines for a pistol when I can dedicate it towards more magazines for my primary weapon. Third, I hate drop legs hanging off my belt and making it hard to use my cargo pockets. Fourth, I have never seen someone transition to their pistol and be more effective then I am with my AEG.

Maybe if I played in a place that banned AEG's or enforced pistols at certain MED I would reconsider it, but as it stands, an airsoft sidearm is more of a novelty to me then an actual tool.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally don't carry a sidearm, as there is no decent Russian pistols available. If I was to carry a sidearm it would be a VZ61.

I use the PPK mainly, it fits nicely into the makrov holsters. But it depends on the game and the engagment distsances allowed at various fields how often i use it. I like getting guys with the silincer attached to itsmile.gif

P99 fixed slides. With a nice blackhawk serpa holster, as I really want to loose the gun :)

It's very useful to have a pistol at the local site; when doing period games (Cold War etc) and you're stuck with a full length AK47, then entering buildings etc is just easier with a pistol.

Frankly, i can't live without a sidearm, for the following reasons;

There's a lot of open ground between objectives at my site - a 30 yard sprint in open ground is a lot easier with a pistol, and i'm also a lot quicker onto any close range targets inside the objective - Pistols are a lot easier to wield; Leaping over the top of a bunker and basically pointing at someone is a lot easier than swinging a rifle at them. I often put my rifle down somewhere for that purpose, and i also like to do mental rambo-esque charges with just a pistol :D

There's also the sneaking around bushes thing - No matter how short my rifle is (10.5 MRP), it still has a habit of catching brambles and stuff, and generally restricting my movement. With just a pistol, it's a lot easier to be stealthy in the fairly dense shrub/wooded areas of my site.

Lastly, i use my pistol when i'm in a position to make a single shot kill on someone - I know for a fact my TM G17 will put a round in the same place on the first shot every time up to around 25 metres. With my AEG's, the first shot might not catch the hopup or something similar - If i can just see an arm or a leg, hitting it with my Glock is a better option than risking missing with my AEG and giving the guy a chance to pull himself into cover.

That, and i love GBB's - They're fun, loud, and look cool, and make awesome clacky noises.

In the past we played at places, that did not really have CQB elements, so a sidearm was not a necesity (plus here in our land they are awfully pricy).

But since I did some upgrades to pretty much all of the guns I use (so none of them is pushing less then 420fps), MED has become an issue. Plus we swapped proving grounds and now we play at CQB sites with doors, windows, corners and stuff, so using an M14 SOCOM is complicated, at best. I am also running a P90 with long barrel in silencer, so the logical sidearm for me was TM FN Five-seveN.

Great gun, has the right feel, looks pretty slick, but more to the point, it does the job. Only problem are the mags, which are big and don't fit into standard pistol pouches.

sunday at the Asylum was rocking a support weapon for half the day , used my side a couple of times when i had the drop close up on some othere players and i thought it would have been very bad sportsmanship to have used the 249 on them . me personaly if i"d been in there shoes i"d have prefered the single shot to the centre back than a burst from a support weapon ! :yikes:

I use my Bell 1911 all the time.

When using my m14, I have an MED to worry about so the 1911 always comes out

When using my m4, I use real-caps so if I run dry in a firefight I can put a few shots down until a team mate can cover

sidearms are a necessity for me (plus they feel right to shoot :P)

Archived