VSS Vintorez

renegadecow

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took me a bit of searching to find that detail out. Most pics of real VSS's don't show the cross section so you can't say for sure if the cover is rounded. What's misleading is that most video games have the top part more trapezoidal with rounded corners. Then I found this gem of a vid, low quality but you can tell it really is rounded on top with slightly tapered sides.

Took me a bit of searching to find that detail out. Most pics of real VSS's don't show the cross section so you can't say for sure if the cover is rounded. What's misleading is that most video games have the top part more trapezoidal with rounded corners. Then I found this gem of a vid, low quality but you can tell it really is rounded on top with slightly tapered sides.

Once again, it looks amazing.

The top does appear to be rounded, but maybe the sides should be more tapered/flat?

And keep asking for a way to send international, I remember that asked you about the "shotgun grenade launchers" you made maybe a year ago AND THAT WAS THE PROBLEM... (really sad about your problems sending items, snifs)

"Receivers" are illegal to ship into Canada so you'd have to have it all parted out and then built once in country.

I don't know what $150 USD will buy in Philippines but that's like 6500 PHP which I guess if you factor in cost of living and all that it's probably a sizable chunk of money for the Philippines (I don't know what cost of living is but I do know that in China $20 CAD will get you pretty far).

Still.... that $150 USD is only labour right? Also I can attest to being a nice person not making you a good businessman. On one hand you have to have the community like you but on the other you still need to make some profit and you have to find a balancing point in that. Take for example an Engineer I know, everyone likes him and will try and give him their contacts because service is good, quality of the work is good, and the prices are fair. Note fair prices, not the cheapest prices or "I'm going to charge as much as I can get from you" but a price that reflects what people see as being fair. Trust me for that engineer there is no shortage of work and prices actually needed to go up slightly because there was so much demand for his services.

Anyways think about it, and TBH I wouldn't mind paying $200 CAD to get my hands on just the externals that you're making (unassembled because of border services in home country).

A bit of good news. An old friend of mine pointed me to the direction of a courier service that will allow me to send these internationally. He swears by it, but I've still yet to try them out myself. Hell, I've still yet to finish the VSS!

edit:

All this talk about my low estimate makes me feel poor :( . Heck, I am poor! Screw this, Ima gonna rob somebody at (Fallout) New Vegas! *runs off with a case of beers and a 9mm*

LOL :D I would pay for if you charged more, I would definitely buy this once I get another job, cause I AM POOR too at the moment :) I mean hell Im a college student, we never have $

also I'm curious, are you going to be putting a side rail on it for a scope? if so are you going to put the correct SVD rail or an ak rail(which would probably be easier and just bolt right on if you drilled 3 little holes

also it would be easy for you to ship to me because I only neex the externals and whatever mounting brackets you use for the hopup if its different from a normal AK hopup, because I have extra parts to make it a working gun, I have an extra V3 ak gearbox, hopup chambers, barrels ect ect so should be light weight and inexpensive to ship

how is the structural integrity of your guns? ever had one break on you?

Considering most of it is made of plastic and held up with glue, it's pretty durable. Had a few instances where little parts would get chipped when shot up close (around 400fps ave., which is CQB for us) and there was a time I cracked the body of my HERA when I dropped it, although that was because it landed on the charging handle which focused all the pressure to a single point. I tried dropping it again after fixing it only at the other side and it survived. I find that plenty of the strength will not come from the material itself but the manner in which the components are laid out so as to better distribute an impact.

As for the integrity of the VSS I'm building, I've found a significant amount of flex on the receiver when I tried lifting it from the tip of the suppressor. Not much vertically, but about 2mm of sag side-to-side, more if you try to force it beyond its weight. The flex comes from the sides of the receiver where the mag goes in which is the thinnest and least reinforced part. Can't put much lateral struts either because the hop-up chamber eats up all the space. Won't be a problem I reckon so long as you hold it at the handguard and not the suppressor and don't use it as a crutch when you're leaning against a rock or window (not really supposed to for any gun, but I've seen some folk do it).

Pardon for the rest about taking my sweet time not updating this. Thing is I've been way hooked with Fallout NV that I can't help myself but play it if I fire up the PC. Believe me, I'm twitching right now just typing this thinking I could be using this time to wander the wasteland.

Selector and more work on the top cover and receiver

IMG_0952.jpg

Suppressor and sights. No front cover and sight post yet. Also, I made the front sight ears out of metal. Making them as thin as they are out of PVC just screams for having them shot off. To make them anywhere near durable means making them 3mm thick which doesn't look good.

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

Almost there. Should be starting on the wood tomorrow or friday.

IMG_0956.jpg

Pardon for the rest about taking my sweet time not updating this. Thing is I've been way hooked with Fallout NV that I can't help myself but play it if I fire up the PC. Believe me, I'm twitching right now just typing this thinking I could be using this time to wander the wasteland.

Amen to that game being addictive!

The progress is looking really good though!

About the receiver flex, I forgot the front part of the mag well hadn't been put on yet, also the screw-on magazine hook. With those installed and a magazine in, the flex isn't as noticeable anymore, that's if you hold the tip of the suppressor and let the whole weight of the gun hang on itself.

done with the top cover, mag well and catch

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

what it would look like with the wood, should be starting on it tomorrow

IMG_0980.jpg

and "a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range"

IMG_0974.jpg

Well, this ones taking a proprietary scope/red-dot which I still have to make. I've made lots of plastic 1913 rails and they're very durable because of the size. The rail spec of the VSS however is the same with an SVD except it has alternating gaps for reduced weight. Problem in copying that into plastic is it won't hold much weight since there's little rail left. For this one I'm just making the scope bolt on directly to the side of the receiver and have a cosmetic rail which doesn't hold any weight. Alternatively, and for future builds, I could try and have the section of rail machined from aluminum and bolt it on the receiver. Or simpler (cheaper too), just have an AK rail bolted to the side with a plastic mock rail (like first idea) on the trail end that isn't being covered by the optic.

Archived