Ammo Limits

Davos

RSM, my thoughts exactly.

Ammo limits / mag types should only be ENFORCED on a certain game day, not as a matter of course. I loved playing with ammo limits, but it has it's time and place.

A typical walk on should be all about spitting thousands of balls at each other - if you fancy more of a challenge or thrill, handicap your self with ammo limits or mag types. If players are as good / lucky as they claim to be (especially as a team) your superior battlefield knowledge will see you triumph over the first timers.

If you limit the rentals to mids or "x" amount of ammo, firstly they will get eaten alive (usually) and secondly, they won't enjoy it as much so they won't take it up, so they won't buy loads of stuff, so the shops ether go out of business or put their prices up.

It is like learning to walk before you run. Arguably, anybody can run about with high caps spraying. There is an experienced based learning curve that is needed before you become as effective with less ammo.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah when you get shoot in the face with a 600fps + Battle Rifle using .28 bb on full auto at under 10 meters with a guy using a high cap, The fun is going to leave the building. I believe MED help encourage multiple weapon use such as your side arm and maintain a level of safety.

Well, thats a whole different can of worms there mate - I objected to the complications of having about half a dozen different weapons classes with different sugested powers, max powers, different ROF limits, different ammo limits, different ammo weight limits and different MEDs - which is what you could end up with if you start categorising everything.

The issue you have raised is totally different - in the US the AEG FPS limits are too high for all round assault rifle roles (shorter, medium and longer range engagements) - something which I don't deny. But thats your own problem.

Besides, your example of a 600fps DMR AEG is not a problem to categorise anyway, that would be classed in the 'sniper' category by just about any airsofter in the world. So it would be semi-only and a MED of 30m as it always is, whats the problem?

we only allow low caps here , true to real thing's capacity.

So that's usually 8 + 1 30rds mags for the primary. But it can be quite tricky if you're out of juice in the field and asked your mate for a spare. Only to notice they're not compatible and it fell out of the mag well right away. lol.

Our site operates a rule of 900 rounds for a rifleman (being anyone not qualifying as a 'support gunner'), and 1800 rounds for any support weapon (which has to have a real steal counter-part, no box magging an M4 to get the extra round limit). That is for hi-cap users.

Anyone who uses midcaps/low caps doesn't have a limit, since we figured if you want to find a way to carry twenty mags, then more power to you on that - but no one has ever been arsed to do it and most mid/low users end up rocking around the same 900 limit give or take.

Makes games interesting since it applies across the board regarding game types, so for the shorter, more speedball type games, 900 rounds is plenty, but for the longer games, it really requires some trigger discipline, and with mixing the games up between long and short, you can easily find yourself firing off a few too many rounds.

Dragon valley (my local site) has a 600 rounds for AEG 2000 rounds for support guns per game rule , most games last around 20-30mins and I think the game days runs just fine . When they do run longer games (re-gen for example) then you are allowed to fetch more ammo on to the field but NOT carry it on you , it's left at your team re-gen point . Not saying its for every one but I much prefer playing at sites that have ammo limits as apposed to sites that allow players to carry as much as they want too .

Surely having a limit can either speed up a game by players not wanting to "camp" so making more aggressive moves applied to staying back and just shooting lanes, and would also slow games down by players not wanting to use up there ammo that game,No?

See your points , but my experiance at DV is the games are just long enuff for the ammo rule and you'd have to be a bit of a 'bonehead' to run out too quickly , plus my feelings on it are it encourages players to 'think' more about what there doing .

Plus dosent appear to have a detrimental effect on new players as prity much every game day all the rentals are booked out and when the marshal shouts for the new players to stick there hands up at the start there's always plenty of hands in the air , and over the next few days you usually see plenty of "I had a cracking first day airsofting !" type posts on there forum .

Not saying I'm against no limit sites by any means , I've had some great days playing at sites were you can carry as much as you like (specialy if its a big site and or a longer game play) but it does have to be said as well though that these were probably the only days were I've come across any issues due to the volume of fire being layed down on or from a position realy stagnating the game and not just slowing it down a bit for a while .

• 3 weeks later...

Although we don't have a 'max ammo' limit. But we do have a (true to RS )mag capacity limit while playing against each other inside the team but you're allowed to carry as many mags as you like. For example i usually carry my SOPMOD M4 with 8 spare mags in the vest's mag pouch and 1 additional 'butt-saver' spare in the mess pouch on my back. So that's a total of ~300 ?+10)rds for my primary weapon.

Since we already finished upgrading to GBBRs on the ARs so for the team of 16ppls we have (so far) 11 INOK M4s, 5 VFC MK18s and 2 VFC G36Cs . Plus 'part-time' AEG machine gunners and DMR/sharpshooters. (No ammo limit for LMGs because they're AEGs and only have electric super hi-caps..)

So down in the field, we swap mags between compatible ARs very often and i find the regular change/swap of mags very cool/realistic. AND, holy cow the LMGs are FORMIDABLE non-stop pea shooters....

Dear hi-cap friends , just imagine : While you're in the field, you shouts ' need ammo!" down the comm, and the mate taking point in-front of you simply pats on the mess pouch on his back --- 'All yours!" (and no, sorry, i won't throw the spare to you, gas mags are FRAGILE! :P )

Oh btw, and don't get killed, the cheeky b$%rds WILL rob your corpse! Especially if you carry Prowins. You are the mobile jackpot. (And that's why i always leave one or two rounds inside the 'empty' mag.. oh yes, it's a trap.)

RUBBER M9/10s ? I'd love to score knive kills but those trainer props are kinda hard to find, . Any good source?

I found some 20rmb rubber daggers in a surplus shop during my last business trip in Mainland China, no idea what the actual model was and i was unable to find a shelth for it.

I have my own personal ammo limit: 84 bbs.

That is all i have in 4x 21 round mags but that does me fine, in some games i barely use two and those are long games. I don't mind ammo limits or not, either way it is still a challenge for me :P

'FireKnife'

I never use hicaps and love games with ammo limits but it's a tough rule for commercial sites to enforce where they're going to make money from the Spray N Pray crowd. I also don't have an issue with the 10+ hicap, Sprayers as they make a load of noise and usually don't notice me until it's too late.

If it's a themed (e.g. WWII) game or any kind of 'Sim then I wouldn't play without ammo limits.

I think that if i attended a serious weekender (so not NAE) then i would expect at least a mid-cap or ammo limit, especially a period game where 99% of the people are doing their best to run period kit.

However on the average day it is not a neccessity, and often most players either have 1 or 2 hi-caps (usually rentals) or a stock of 6-7 mids so it often limits itself. :P

'FireKnife'

I dont see how having high caps is any sort of avantage....I got a high cap with teh gun i bought and its the only one i own, and I havnt used it since my mid caps arrived :P - I carry about 600 rounds with me at most in any given game and tbh I never get through it all even in surpression heavy games. The average game sees me use about 1-200. Even with mid caps I could easily carry up to 800, and if really nessesary I could gram in over 1000.

If I replaced my 6 mids with highs, yes I could carry 1800 - 2400ish instead but who the hell uses that much in a game!! Even if someone kid makes a good effort to do so....so what? if someone wants to waste all that pinning me down then fair enough - one day they will learn that they can pin me just as effectivly with about 1/10th the ammo but at the end of the day its their money to waste.

Also - just to point out that it wasnt a desire to not carrry much ammo that led me to mid caps but my hatred of hearing my self running with that terrible bb bouncing sound :( that and I hate winding caps - much rather swap mag out.

The rattle is what detered me when i played AEGs back in the day.

But alas they have there uses, but the rattle is irritating as hell, especially when one memeber of the team you are out flanking in has them.

But hey they make for great alternatives to support guns, just treat the wind like a barrel overheat or a jam :P

'FireKnife'

The problem is that high capacity magazines make you unaware as to how much BB's you are actually firing. Mid caps by their very nature make you count (or at least guestimate) how much BB's you have put down range, as you know it takes more time to reload than it does to wind the magazine on. So even if you carry 40x mid caps, you tend to use less rounds than the lad carrying 3 high caps...purely based on their inherent properties.

My only gripe is that there does seem to be an air of superiority with the MidCap brigade - many look down on the use of high caps, without offering anything to the lads using them. I use high caps in my P90 - because the magazine system suits them down to the ground. I don't use them in any other of my rifles, and never have because the rattle infuriated me. However, others may not be so easily annoyed, so it's more about showing the advantages of mids than the disadvantages of highs...no winding necessary, better suited to high speed set ups etc

S'all about education, not elitism and sectarianism :)

There's no such thing as carrying too much ammunition (in airsoft anyway) and I think it should be a matter of personal discretion. At the end of the day no one wants to be caught short of ammo at a vital moment. If you can carry more, you might as well, you don't know how much you will need. In any case, there are alternative means to break the stalemate in any game - manoeuvre, use of smoke, deception, decisive speed and aggression - you don't necessarily have to "win the firefight" every time. The number of times my mates and I have just crawled up to the enemy from the left or right, put a couple of smokes down, maybe chucked a grenade or two and charged in to break the enemy's defensive line, you wouldn't believe it.

Hi-caps do get a little annoying at times due to the rattle but to be honest I've heard people making more noise from their footsteps and breaking twigs more often than I usually hear from hicaps. The only time hicaps really get on my tits are at night when you're trying to conduct a patrol and all you can hear are *fruitcage* BBs rattling away in someone's mag, so much so that you can't hear the noise of the enemy ten feet away. That gets me.

The only time I have a hicap at night is when I need to re-bomb all my midcaps, so I slap the hicap in the gun while I do my admin for if and when I get bumped halfway through. In day games its handy as a last-ditch defensive mag but also pack a little extra punch when I need a lot of ammo for the attack. My total ammo per game usually adds up to about 1,000 rounds - 4 midcaps of 100rds, 3 midcaps of 120rds, 300rd hi-cap and 100rd speed loader. That usually lasts - in the shorter games I'll change mag maybe three or four times at most. In longer games, all other things being equal, I'll expect to use anything up to all my 1000 rounds. But then my battery will probably need charging and then I'm *fruitcage*ed :P

Archived