How do you clean your kit?

Tw1tch

So after a great day softing all my lovely clean kit is filthy and I'm pondering how best to clean it without causing damage.

Obviously with clothing, a washing machine is preferable (however I don't own one, handwash but these are seriously dirty, so launderette methinks) but I'm more interested in how to clean the likes of vests, pouches and so on.

I swear I've seen some people just talk about using a toothbrush to remove the mud and thats it, no actual cleaning but won't this cause the rig to smell if its not cleaned for years?

I apologise for the odd thread guys, just want to do it right.

General rule of thumb, no real need to clean the outside of the webbing.  The more dirty the more natural it will look.

If there is no water, mud or sand inside the pouches, then a toothbrush or even just picking off the leaves will do.

If its mud or sand in the pouches, then obviously that stuff will get in the way of the workings of the weapon (be it airsoft or real steel). I normally hose into the pouches, hang upside down, then bang/brush out the remaining sand or dirt.  That takes a while particularly if you have a lot of pouches.

Some people put house paint on the outside of their webbing and let it naturally get worn down look, I use spray paint to lighten the shadows and darken the corners to create that blending, artificially creating the "dirty" look.

To prevent odd smells just make sure not to store it wet. I don't really clean my kit and i crawl in dirt and through bushes a lot. If you play regularly, sooner or later you will play in rain or snow and it will naturally wash.... ;)  If not a water hose will do the trick.

Fair enough, good to know. I didn't want my kit looking like it'd just come out of stores but my SERPA was literally full of mud earlier where I slid onto my right side (which is my default sliding side >.>), it went all the way through the holster, as well as caking the outside.

Now it just looks a little used hehe.

Cleaning kit is important. I know airsofters like stuff to look 'used' and 'authentic,' but there are a lot of good reasons for keeping your gear clean.

You mentioned a Serpa... Those are incredibly important to keep clean, make sure you hit it with a high-pressure hose if possible and clean the gunk out of the locking mechanism. We've had to cut several pistols out of Serpas because of the sand and filth in them (well, we cut the Serpa to save the pistol).

Take your gear and hit it with a high pressure hose, some detergent, and a stiff polymer brush (like the kind you'd use to clean boots off). Don't worry, it won't look factory fresh afterwards. And if it does, good. Your kit will last longer.

As for uniforms - not washing those is downright stupid. The dirtier your uniform is, the more hygiene problems you'll develop and the more susceptible you are to a wide range of issues in the field.

Maintaining it operational is important.

So, if you are talking about clips, ties, lids and so on, yeah, cleaning them might be the way to go if they stopped working as they should. Otherwise, not much. These are tools, not prom garments.

Not washing uniforms constantly has a very good reason to be: Colour degradation. Camo that doesn't camo has no function.

I submerge the uniforms in cold water and give them a gentle rub to get dirt off them every now and then. I have more than 8 sets that I use, so by the time I've used them 3-4 times it's been half a year already.

If you have developed hygiene problems I'd suggest to wear underwear. Your outer layer should never allow dirt to get to you and your inner layer should be the one to keep clean at all times.

Cleaning kit is important.

As for uniforms - not washing those is downright stupid. The dirtier your uniform is, the more hygiene problems you'll develop and the more susceptible you are to a wide range of issues in the field.

On boots I'd suggest to be a bit more thorough. These will keep your feet dry and comfy, and its soles need to grip well.

For leather boots I use the procedure I think I read in the USMC field manual: A thick brush and warm-to-hot water. Wet the brush and rub in one direction until you get rid of the mud. Let dry in the open air.

I have a floor plate brush I use to clean the soles' bottom and sides.

Sorry, can't agree at all with certain sentiments r.e. fatigues.  If your camo fades you get new stuff, not washing kit is just... nasty.  In a military context, stuff is only not washed when you're not physically in a position of being able to wash it.  Maybe if you're the sneakiest of sneaky spec-forces then you'd deliberately want to smell like something other than a clean human being, but this is airsoft.  98% of people skirmish for a few hours and are then back at home by 5 o/clock.  There's no reason for your camo smelling like you've just come off a 5 day exercise when it's actually just been hanging up in a cupboard for the last month.  A cupboard that's within 10m of a sink/bath/machine.  Not to mention the fact that a hand wash barely fades decent quality camo even the slightest amount.

If they're 'tools', well then I certainly wouldn't allow the drivers or torque wrenches or hex spanners I'd use on an aircraft to be left in storage while covered in aviation fuel or grease or suffering from corrosion.  Tools are to be looked after, not neglected.

For rigs, pouches etc I tend to simply brush them down, shake out any of the really bad stuff, and thats about it. If some of it is really bad, I'll hand-wash it.

Clothing gets washed after every game, without fail. not washing the clothes you wear is just plain nasty, especially clothes you've been in all day, running about, sweating in and getting filthy. As CKinnerley said there's no reason not to wash your BDUs.

I wear leather boots which i also use for work, so I give them a proper clean and polish every couple of weeks (they tend to get dirtier at work than at Airsoft!).

Simple comparison which many sports fans should understand, if you play a friendly game of football with your mates once or twice a week and get muddy going for a tackle or saving a goal do you a. go home and put your kit in the wash or b. hang it up covered in mud and sweat so next week you start off looking like your favourite footballer towards the end of the Premier League final?

Worrying about camo fading, that will happen over time anyway so either buy a new set when it looks too faded for you or invest in a better quality set to begin with (and yes I know some 'high end' brands fade quickly)...complaining that your kit will look too used shows how cheap airsofters think, its an expensive hobby we should all know this.

Also I read somewhere that as an example, the US Airforce rate their ABU's to have a servicable lifetime of around 12 months of use that they expect them to go through.

I have no idea if other branches have a similar lifespan but its something to consider and you should be able to get your moneys worth if you buy right as its not like you wear them more than a couple times a month tops.

The main concern was about how to clean combat rigs, and whether any special care should be given. Not washing BDU's does seem pretty rank, I'm even going to the launderette with mine (which is 17 miles away for some perspective) because its that filthy.

Rest of the combat kit is drying out now though. Cheers guys.

Remove molle pouches and throw everything fabric/canvas/material into the washing machine with the trousers/shirt ect.

I generally don't clean equipment, like magazines, radios and the like. just wipe the mud off the outside and clean it out of the inside. Gun internals are far more important and are obsessively maintained.

You sir must have been diving round in some pretty muddy mud...kudos for not being scared to get dirty!

Well sliding into cover's better and more fun than trekking to the regen area. I just need to get the knack of sliding onto my left side so my holster doesn't scoop up a load of mud haha.

Agreed with the most above here. It is just not hygenic not cleaning your kit. Clothing always ends up in the washing machine, I usually use a hard brush with warm soapy water on my vest when it is dirty. If the vest is truly dirty, i remove all pouches and throw everything in the washing machine, low temperature and good quality soap. 

As for magazines and the like. It is truly important to CLEAN the magazines of your replica's. The biggest screw up is when you insert a mag and it does not feed when pulling the trigger... 

I wouldn't use a washing machine to clean clothes to be honest. I put my (genuine - I say this not out of geardoism but to point out its not a cheap clone) multicam into the washing machine once and it noticeably faded. This was on a cool wash too.

I now just put it in the bath and run some warm water in. Rub the fabric together and get the mud off then rinse under warm water. Then gets hung up to drip dry.

No more fading.

I wouldn't use a washing machine to clean clothes to be honest.

...YOUWHATNOW? You do realize that's the entire purpose of a washing machine?

What would you use a washing machine for? Detailing your car?

Put your sodding uniforms in with the rest of your clothes and get them clean.

Reading the washing instructions on clothing isn't rocket surgery.

...YOUWHATNOW? You do realize that's the entire purpose of a washing machine?

What would you use a washing machine for? Detailing your car?

Put your sodding uniforms in with the rest of your clothes and get them clean.

Reading the washing instructions on clothing isn't rocket surgery.

Spend £100 on camo clothes. Wash them twice and then throw them away? Is that right?

I did follow the instructions. They faded a lot.

So I hand wash now.

Archived