Russian kit discussion

Soloman

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys,

Have to apologise in advance for my complete lack of knowledge about Russian kit - but I was wondering if any of you would take the time to answer a few of my very noobish questions; I've spent ages on the net and on red alliance trying to gather a bit more info, but haven't really been that successful.

I've fallen in love with GORKA-E having seen some the other day at a local site, but wasn't able to identify the LBV (looking above, I think it was SMERSH). I was wondering who wears GORKA-E, with what rig, and with which model AK. Where would people suggest is the best place to buy SMERSH? I've read that soviet-propaganda is good for GORKA.

I'm bored stiff of US made MOLLE and armor, too bulky and uncomfortable. Having read reviews on GORKA, it seems that it universally is seen as both hardwearing, comfortable and effective as a camouflage. So my plan is to sell most of my airsoft kit and procure a decent Russian loadout. In light of the number of experts on this thread, I thought it'd be appropriate to ask about stuff here.

Cheers

Mike

You'll find soviet-propaganda is the BEST for ordering anything. You can get both the gorka and the smersh from that retailler, but be sure to email/ICQ/AIM him personally just to verify your order. Sometimes his packers can get something wrong.

The Gorka-E, as a commercial item, is worn predominantly by special purpose teams, mostly from the Ministry of the Interior (MVD).

You'll commonly see it in pictures with OSN Vityaz, of which there are many posted on MP.net by RomanS. I'll load some up when I get back from class, but I think there are already soem in the thread.

With the Gorka-E, the most common load bearing rig is the smersh and the most common weapon is the AK-74M.

If you put together a kit of a Gorka-E (in SS or in Flectar-D as I've recently seen), smersh, and AK-74M you can't go wrong. If you want an extra touch, wear a generic black body armor vest.

The AK-74M is the issued rifle of all service arms. Some variations occur of course, but in theory every soldier should have an AK-74M.

Here is a decent shot of a bunch of Vityaz members with Gorka-E and smersh.

vityaz2hd4-1.jpg

You'll notice they all have AK-74M's.

S1051443.jpg

In other pictures of them I've seen an AKS-74 and an AKMS so there's a little bit of flexibility if you wanted to have something else.

I've only seen a few other pictures with soldiers wearing Gorka-E's that weren't in Vityaz, and here are two below (one of which is from the photo set I posted above):

610xmb2.jpg

csn190933.jpg

The first is a recent picture of a VDV (correct me if I'm wrong) gunner from South Ossetia. His uniform is rather peculiar and I think you'd be hard pressed to find another one like it without requesting it from SPOSN.

The second, I'm not too sure on. I don't think he's actually from either Alfa or Vympel. Instead he could be from one of the other CIS members' anti-terror teams.

As far as the easiest impression though, I think Vityaz would be the way to go. You get a Gorka-E and smersh, and then you're set. Cost wise, the smersh can be all over the place depending on the configuration you want. On soviet-propaganda's page, he lists the pouch costs but not the harness cost so it's sort of confusing. The harness costs 75USD, then you pick the pouches you want and add it all together.

They're wearing SPOSN Gorka-R's (my guess since I can't see whether it's a jacket or an anorak). Some of the uniforms have two-tone coloration, but they are the same. Sometimes SPOSN uses different colors for the fabric panels so they'll come out looking unique. I think this is done on request of certain teams as you can see it with some regularity in units like Vympel and Rus.

It's a really nice uniform that is privately purchased and used by a wide range of units. It's never issued, but a team or small unit might get sponsored (not entirely sure how the process works) so they wind up with some commercial stuff from companies like Splav or maybe SPOSN.

You can see it used by FSB, MVD, FSIN, and regular Armed Forces troops.

Lots of good info here, I'm impressed with the loadouts and info you guys have, and I got a few questions for you;

Anyone ever tried these boots? http://www.redsoldier.com/Russian-Special-Forces-Boots

They look pretty nice, and not a bad price either if they're as good as they look.

I'm thinking I'll put together a Russian themed outfit in a little while, not trying to base it off any particular unit, just something Russian and effective. I was thinking a Sposn Gorka-E in ss summer and Grad-2 vest from Soviet Propaganda, and those 'Spetsnaz' boots. Any particular holster I should look for, even tho I don't know what gun I might chose as a sidearm (a Glock wouldn't be too unrealistic for Russian special forces, would it)?

Finally got to skirmish my Afghan war kit yesterday:

387853430xvjqmmdj3.jpg

3878531094jzwgmzo1.jpg

I think that's fairly accurate, only thing I can think of is the german boots are wrong.

No-one had any idea what I was dressed as, some guy even though I was VC!

Getting some East German kit next, and hopefully building an Mpi.

-Matt

some pics from my last skirmish:

"Bedroom warrior" pic. Sort of light weight grenadier loadout...

YOU ARE LIKE SOME KIND OF AWESOME BUILD UP OF EPICNESS THAT FORMED INTO THE ULTIMATE GUY WITH AN AK. you sir are like Jesus but with guns.

no idea how this fits :x

about your sling. if no one else told you or if you just dont know, you take the clip end and run it through the sling mount on the stock and then run that through both the holes in the metal thing on your sling (looks like this [|] then you attach the clip to the front of the gun.

and there you go! it took me a few minutes to figure it out for myself but its pretty simple realy.

I wish you many fun games with your new gear.

My problem is that my sling hook doesn't fit through the rear loop, thanks anyway though.

hmm... you seem to be stuck in the mud here. is the sling to thick? when i tried to put a RS sling on my aks74u i had a similar problem, it was to wide. but i just yanked that thing through, and nearly broke that thin piece of china metal. but all is good. see if there is a way you can just squeeze it in there.

Trident Militaria has what you're looking for

http://www.tridentmilitary.com/WorldCamouflage.htm (go down to "REPUBLIC SRPSKA camouflage from war in Bosnia")

This is the item:

http://www.tridentmilitary.com/New-photos12/rs37.jpg

There are a number of sizes availible it looks like, but you need to call to order so you'll probably get a better idea of what's in stock that way.

Vest wise you're going to want a black M32 or M22 or M25 (Serbian vests are very hard to get so Splav vests are decent substitutes) which can be purchased from:

www.redsoldier.com

Top it off with a black watch cap and for less than 300USD you could probably get a spot on kit from the movie.

Archived