Police are going to be equipped with water cannons in uk

Baddbaz

As the above title says , police are buying 3 water cannons for use in the uk . Was announced on various media sources today . Love to hear your thoughts and comments on this ....

And before anyone says it . Yes it was leaked out ...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all fairness, I suspect they'll be used in some high profile training (in front of a lot of media), and then never seen again.

I doubt any Home Secretary, what ever party, would have the stones to authorise there use.

So in that respect, they'll be a "behave, or we'll deploy these" thing, rather than an effective policing tool.

Well considering the majority of protesters/ rioters are students, benefit scumbags and stinky hippies. A good wash can only be a good thing.

Stinky hippies? Are you living in the 60's?

Benefit scumbags? Yeah, because the ones mooching off the lion's share of public funds are definitely not politicians, the military, private companies (like the ones selling the water cannons).... It's appalling how this works in every country: Government is costing the country X Millions, shift the blame on a few abusers who dont steal 1% of that. Now we can cut the benefits altogether.

"Students". Said as if it was a bad word.

BOT: water cannons destroyed a german 68-year old man's eyes. Then again he was an engineer, that means he was a student at some time, probably also a hippy. They also caused serious eye injuries to hundreds of other people at the Stuttgart-21 protests.

Dont look for pictures of the guy (Dietrich Wagner) as they are pretty messed up.

Great all this mean's to me is if I fancy a wash instead of a shower or a bath, I can cause some havoc and have fun while I wait for bath time, Bloody genius if you ask me. Seriously I'd be well up for community shower's being a thing :D

OT Don't care if the Police feel safer with them then let em have it because I'm never where the fun stuff happen's :(

I think this is another one of those things where both sides of the argument are equally valid to be honest.

I can see the (for want of a better word) liberal viewpoint, that it's an escalation of potential 'violence' by the Police, and slightly worrying from that perspective.

I can also see it from the point of view of the ordinary, law abiding people that had their lives destroyed by rioting scumbags in London, and other cities not all that long ago - That these could potentially stop the same thing happening to some other poor soul.

I'm fairly sure if I'd had a friend or relative take a kicking needlessly by the plod - I'd be quite angry. If my house or business had been looted, and burned down during what some seem to call 'protest' (it wasn't, it was an excuse to kick off), I'd be quite supportive.

The harsh reality is that it'll be a 'wait and see' situation. Until they're used, we won't know what the true implications are. If and when they're used, it'll very much depend on the situation, and (press) public reaction to it, that will decide the issue.

Great all this mean's to me is if I fancy a wash instead of a shower or a bath, I can cause some havoc and have fun while I wait for bath time...

That is the single most badly thought out post I've seen today. There's no way they'll let the polis have a go on these, they'll be afraid Salmond will try to nick 'em.:P

Isn't this old news? They were planning to do this last year. AFAIK they're not even new ones, they're water cannons they shipped over from Northern Ireland.  

Somehow I imagine that if you had your house burnt to the ground and your business looted by these utterly contemptible scum, you might not be quite so keen on holding their hands and continuously apologising and making excuses for them.

Nope not old news these are the new German made models they have just spent a few million on . 3 of them apparently. Specifically for the uk mainland, state of. The art with cctv , night vision etc They hold 19000 Ltrs of water each , Was announced today on a few radio stations

Okay so turns out whats happened is the Met has asked for some, and the home office didn't immediately say no(but still might) So we won't be seeing chavs pinwheel off buildings on the rod of liquid justice just yet...

Meanwhile, somewhere in Scotland, Fireknife's innuendo sense is tingling.

You rang.

Still to be honest lets face it whatever measure the police forces bring in will make no difference as everyone will not deploy them in fear of being sued and the H&S people popping up.

The same as if we started arming police on the beat, they would not be much of a deterrent as if anyone was shot they would find some way to twist it to their ends, if they died I am sure the family would do the same.

Either way first the issue is to get rid of the attitudes we have picked up over the last decade or two about being all worried about what happens. Yes some police are corrupt and some chiefs are tossers but the rest are just poor sods doing their job against the scum on the streets, knowing they can't do anything as a legal representative can get them off or sue for 'wrongful arrest' etc.

'FireKnife'

83888_1229291170_5c5e_p.jpeg

General Jaruzelski says hi.

Seriously, you guys apparently have no bad associations with water cannons, but over here, it was the method to break up anti-communist demonstrations (note: not riots) back in the 80s. A lot of folks still can't get over it. So, water cannons - bad.

This is the bit of this that bothers me the most . Misuse of it on peacefull protests etc . Kettling etc has been used in the past .

People don't seem to realise how dangerous water can be at high pressure . It tends to scoop up everything in its path and propel it forwards . That means stones , grit , glass , and whatever else is in the environment it is used in will get propelled at people a not inconsiderable velocity . Will also break windows etc if used in an relatively built up environment like a city centre .

There would be absolutely no way they could use it on a peaceful protest in this country- it took them five days to sign off on the baton guns in the midst of a full scale riot. 

I know some people like the think the police are all heartless bastards that want to turn us into a dictatorship but even if that were true, it's a political decision and water cannoning a peaceful demonstration would be political suicide. 

We're not an oppressive Soviet republic/South American dictatorship/South Africa. 

Archived