Types of Airsofters - Which type are you? :P

aznriptide859

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never understood the don't want to get kit dirty mentality, afterall why bring it if you want it to stay pristine. Also am I the only one who thinks kit looks better worn with a little dirt on it?

Same here, my kit and guns look better used I would say, the only one that I don't like to get dirty is the custom ones I build for showing off (all of one gun in my 5-6 that I have).

'FireKnife'

Fortunately, any given individual understanding any other given individuals choices is never a requirement.  I imagine if it were then skirmishes would be limited to a maximum of about 7 players at a time who happen to all share the exact same attitudes and preferences for guns/gear etc.

It doesn't upset me to see dirt on my boots, but I know I then have to spend a lot longer cleaning said boots when I get home that afternoon if I run through deep mud, that is a pain.  An awful lot of skirmishers just don't bother with that sort of equipment maintenance and that's up to them to decide.  If they wish to have to spend extra funds on replacing gear at an increased rate in exchange for the time saving of not looking after it then that's great, nice to know they're doing well financially.  But personally my pockets aren't so deep as to be able to simply allow my gear to rot and fall apart.

The cleaning/maintenance aspect aside, the other reason that seems likely to me is that they're not at the skirmish just to run about and shoot BBs, they're there for the fashion show and they wanna look cool in their fancy new kit for everyone to see.  As everyone here already knows I'm quite sure, there is obviously nothing wrong with this.

This post isn't aimed at anyone, but I've lost count of the number of times on airsoft forums I've seen the statement "I don't get why some people....".  My personal response/advice being that anyone experiencing such a quandry simply stops trying to 'get it' because they're never, ever going to and the quicker they stop worrying about it the quicker they can move on and get to the business of having fun in the method they personally prefer.  That method being one that a lot of other people probably don't get either.  Dare we even go down the path of discussing the way non-softers view our habit (as grown adults in most cases) of putting on military kit to act out war games?  Nobody ever been asked why they don't "just join the army?"?   Annoying question to be asked isn't it?  As if there's any real parallel between military service and airsoft skirmishing, the notion is ridiculous.  Thing is, every time an airsofter makes a snide remark at somebody else because they're unable to get past the fact they do not understand why they chose a stubby AR and ATACS-AU for a woodland game, they're doing exactly the same as Joe Average who considers airsofters weird for not simply signing up at the forces careers office.

To reiterate, I see this mostly on zero-in and I'm not implying that anyone here is making snide comments, but the topic came up so I thought I'd discuss it.

The thing I have noticed is that everyone goes through a Gucci kit , geardo look and then eventually ends up doing soldier of fortune / civvy , mercenary load outs after they have played for a few years ..

I now basicaly go for stuff that is usable / functional rather than a specific load out .

I didn't go through either of those stages, started off (a very long time ago) with basically civie clothes and a bit of DPM (classic noob camo, skintsofter on account being about 17 at the time) and gradually progressed to using good quality but surplus kit. None of it is like "an operator", it's set up partly for a look and partly just because it's practical. I think some people start with a bunch of Gucci kit but they have to get into the hobby with lots of money, so either they have minted parents or they're a bit older and have a job. I'd also say that while a lot of people go for the whole multicam and magpul thing in some way or another, other never do. I'm not criticising those that do, just saying it's not everyone. One thing I think does definitely happen for most people is a lightening of kit, you learn to drop the unnecessary and only take what you actually use, well... mostly, you still get the occasional person who just wants to play in a full OTV with all the extras regardless of the conditions.

Takes up too much space to quote again :P

While I see your points it is not the issue of people turning up for a laugh and wanting to parade around it is those that actively go out into the site then when the plastic starts flying and they get a little speck of dirt they whinge and moan about it to no end. There are some that think 'yeah I would rather not go that way as it is muddy, but the other way is fine' which makes sense as perhaps it would lead to you covered up to your knees in it etc but that is not the issue.

I think like many you have taken the extremist comment and applied it to a much larger audience, something which the original comment was not intended for. It is the same with those that like to show off the kit they have, sure some like to say 'hey here is my gun, want to have a look, I did x, y and z to it' and others, the small minority, like to whinge at others because they are not using a Systema and assume that money makes them a better player. There will always be comments like 'I never understand why' but they will be aimed at the small amount that it affects, not the vast majority who say 'yeah I might not want to dive flat into that mud but a few scuffs are fine'.

I think referencing Zero In isn't going to help the case in point though as here people can make a cogent argument or discusssion, there they can fling feces at the screen and eventually it sticks. ;)

'FireKnife'

While I see your points it is not the issue of people turning up for a laugh and wanting to parade around it is those that actively go out into the site then when the plastic starts flying and they get a little speck of dirt they whinge and moan about it to no end. There are some that think 'yeah I would rather not go that way as it is muddy, but the other way is fine' which makes sense as perhaps it would lead to you covered up to your knees in it etc but that is not the issue.

This is exactly the reason I stopped wearing my Stargate SG-1 jacket, its hard wearing but it also cost a bit too, when I worked out I was getting into the action much more wearing a BDU shirt I stopped wearing the jacket. When I wore the jacket I hadn't even thought consciously 'ooohhhh dirt' or that it might get damaged, I just went to a skirmish came home and washed it appropriately.

I didn't go through either of those stages, started off (a very long time ago) with basically civie clothes and a bit of DPM (classic noob camo, skintsofter on account being about 17 at the time) and gradually progressed to using good quality but surplus kit. None of it is like "an operator", it's set up partly for a look and partly just because it's practical. I think some people start with a bunch of Gucci kit but they have to get into the hobby with lots of money, so either they have minted parents or they're a bit older and have a job. I'd also say that while a lot of people go for the whole multicam and magpul thing in some way or another, other never do. I'm not criticising those that do, just saying it's not everyone. One thing I think does definitely happen for most people is a lightening of kit, you learn to drop the unnecessary ###### and only take what you actually use, well... mostly, you still get the occasional person who just wants to play in a full OTV with all the extras regardless of the conditions.

I am like you, often the best kit I have had has been surplus or much more on the basic end of the name brand tactical makers range. I have bought the more Gucci Crye kit etc in the past but its never lasted long as it didn't offer anything other than a high price tag which wasn't good value to me... Others mileage may and will vary and that's what floats their boat and who am I to judge :)

This is exactly the reason I stopped wearing my Stargate SG-1 jacket, its hard wearing but it also cost a bit too, when I worked out I was getting into the action much more wearing a BDU shirt I stopped wearing the jacket. When I wore the jacket I hadn't even thought consciously 'ooohhhh dirt' or that it might get damaged, I just went to a skirmish came home and washed it appropriately.

See that is my point some make an active decision to change what they do to make up for it. Others out there whine and moan about it without doing something to change it and that is what I don't get.

As for airsoft being a fashion show as others have mentioned fair enough it can be, but if you are at a 'skirmish' to walk around showing off kit and nothing else I would be wondering why you would wish to attend and that is a general comment to everyone. If you want to show off and nothing else you have conventions, pictures on the internet and specific things for that. I for one praise all aspects of the hobby but why create issues for yourself and others if you happen to be part of that small minority that others would look upon as 'spoiling their fun', why not just wear some cheaper gear that you don't mind getting dirty or just accept the nature of the day? Perhaps even why not try indoor events where you would have to worry about dust and light dirt. I know that most people on here are intelligent enough to see where an issues lies, either with themself or other players but this is just my general stand point on the whole thing.

'FireKnife'

I've never met anyone that worried about getting dirty at an airsoft game.

I have, only four in total and they did actually go from 'yeah I am some sort of operator' to 'ah, mud #emit girly scream#' in about 5 mins :P.

Either way I just find it odd that such people exist and you think well why come to a skirmish game, go out into the woodland bits and then complain about the dirt and mud?

'FireKnife'

To me if someone turns up just to show off their latest fancy bit of kit then fine. I may not understand their reasoning but I'm not going to stop them as they have paid their green fees just like me and everyone else on site.

Just as long as they don't start bitching about how their new kit/RIF/sparkly flying hedgehog has got a speck of dirt on it and is so ruined

Edit: I've only seen one player get worried about their kit getting dirty. Said player spent the whole day refusing to go further than 10 yards out of the deadzone with his WA2000 for fear of getting it dirty or scratched

I've worn multicam top/bottoms, DPM boonie hat, osprey ddpm vest and pouches in flecktarn. Boots were hy-tech/magnums. I was using a Cyma aks-74u (why did I get rid of it, bloody workhorse it was). There was a light hearted joke made, but it was just a joke (I think it was something about techni-coloured camo) and I found it funny.

I think that, airsoft is a microcosm of life (like most hobbies/sports) and it shows us the failings/hang ups we have. If a person is not hurting or causing offence, then leave them to it.

Me, I couldn't careless what a person wears to an airsoft game, just so long as they comply to the rules (and wear appropriate safety equipment).

I always remember a funny incident a while back , where a few guys turned up in Gucci multicam and expensive boots .

It was a woodland site and things were going well for them until it decided to rain a few times . The guys £160 boots were absolutly useless at keeping their feet dry . And their kit became waterlogged and wouldn't dry , between showers .also the colours were running onto their boots ..

Me and my sons were running round all day in our army surplus dpm and 10 pound army issue boots with dry feet and camo that dried out fast between showers .

Just proves the point , that expensive isn't always the best ...

This multicam sounds more like chinese clone stuff.  I've not seen actual Crye fabrics bleed their colours simply from a bit of moisture and I've tested it a few times.  Even MTP doesn't do it and this stuff is built on a shoe-string budget to say the least.  Dodgy batch perhaps, seems unlikely though.

I'm not sure anyone here's ever claimed the most expensive kit to be the indisputable best either?  Well I've never heard it anyway, it'd certainly be quite amusing to hear in person.  If anything the exact opposite opinion seems to be infinitely more prevalent these days when you attend games or browse forums.  I've entirely lost track of the number of occasions I've seen someone flamed or put down for spending 'too much'.

Footwear wise, the problem sounds like the players in question made some iffy choices on where they allocated their money with regards to the environments they'd be skirmishing in rather than how much money they spent.  Presuming these were desert/arid climate boots they'd bought?  I've spent a bit of time in standard issue boots and they always did a stand up job of keeping out rain/river water (probably because they'd been polished just a few times) but I'd not choose them for an entirely indoor site or when I know there's zero chance of rain that day, because there are much more breathable boots out there.  Though if you can get a good deal on them, don't mind a bit of a break in period and do a good job of looking after them they're certainly quite reasonable all rounders.

I think like many you have taken the extremist comment and applied it to a much larger audience, something which the original comment was not intended for. It is the same with those that like to show off the kit they have, sure some like to say 'hey here is my gun, want to have a look, I did x, y and z to it' and others, the small minority, like to whinge at others because they are not using a Systema and assume that money makes them a better player. There will always be comments like 'I never understand why' but they will be aimed at the small amount that it affects, not the vast majority who say 'yeah I might not want to dive flat into that mud but a few scuffs are fine'.

That's fine, it just wasn't clear initially.  Probably simply be me being obtuse, the comments just seemed to read as to imply that someone was in the wrong for preferring to avoid an expensive item getting wrecked.

Of course whining to other people about your kit getting slightly dirty playing airsoft in the woods would be like whining that you get hit with a BB during a skirmish, or that the edges of your AEGs gears have gotten slightly worn through the action of shooting BBs at other people.

This multicam sounds more like chinese clone stuff.  I've not seen actual Crye fabrics bleed their colours simply from a bit of moisture and I've tested it a few times.  Even MTP doesn't do it and this stuff is built on a shoe-string budget to say the least.  Dodgy batch perhaps, seems unlikely though.

Exactly! Sounds like some dodgy cheap Chinese knockoff rather than real Crye stuff. I also think a dodgy batch is unlikely because you'd certainly hear about it on gear sites. Blown out crotches 2 weeks into a tour? Sure! But runny colours? That would certainly cause a massive stink.

I'm not sure anyone here's ever claimed the most expensive kit to be the indisputable best either?  Well I've never heard it anyway, it'd certainly be quite amusing to hear in person.  If anything the exact opposite opinion seems to be infinitely more prevalent these days when you attend games or browse forums.  I've entirely lost track of the number of occasions I've seen someone flamed or put down for spending 'too much'.

Seems to be a prevailing attitude in airsoft to think that the guy or girl with lots of expensive kit MUST think they are an über1337warrior who is better than everyone else, when more often they just happen to like that kit for whatever reason, be it the look or the function or the use by a certain military that they admire.

Yep correct on the boot front , desert boots , brand new with no protectant put in them to repell the water ,.

The camo in question was made by the company that makes that real tree camo ,

Have seen a few shrinkages with their stuff , but never colour run like these guys had ..

I really felt for them that day . All that money spent and then to find out it holds water better than a sponge ..

Archived