GHK AK Model to Galil Conversion

Paul202

Well It must've been a pretty rare gun, the price on WGC went up to $738 before it went out of stock. I don't now about the prolonged durability of the KA, it is full metal and for the moment is pretty sturdy. I just wish my GHK would come so I could try to start the conversion, it arrived in the US 2 days ago and is currently stil pending customs inspection.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No news yet, my order is still in customs. I don't want to derail my own thread, but for everybody that has ordered from WGC how long is your ordee usually in customs? The gun has been "pending customs inspection" for the last 5 days, when usually it only take at most 3 days when I ordee from UNCompany.

Sorry for the triple post, but can someone please help me out? The package has been in custom for 6 days and there hasn't been an update since. I spent pretty much my entire airsoft budget on the gun, and I've heard that if it gets seized by US Customs than WGC shop will not give me a refund.

This isn't going to be very reassuring, but at this point it's out of your hands so there's really not point whatsoever in worrying about it. The only thing you can do that will be of any use is e-mailing WGC to enquire if they complied with U.S. importation rules and painted the muzzle orange, or installed an orange cap or whatever. They may also be able to tell you how long their products typically spend in Customs, and you'll be able to check their site for the rules about refunds if the weapon is destroyed.

What may be more reassuring is that the US authorities typically seize airsoft weapons for two reasons - one, because of infringement of trademarks, and two, because it 'could be modified into a real gun'. The latter is really nebulous and only seems to apply to hyper-realistic GBBR AR-15s (specifically Inokatsu and Viper weapons), so no worries for you there. The former is because of complaints from the real-steel manufacturers (GLOCK, typically, but others too) whose trademarks are being infringed. I don't know what markings the GHK has but I would be extremely surprised if they're subject to copyright, even if IZHMASH has just changed its name to Kalashnikov. In summary, unless WGC have messed up the painting of your flashhider, the GHK isn't a prime candidate for seizure.

Thanks for the advice. I just sent them an email to confirm that they complied with US regulations. One thing to mention however, is that when I placed the order I asked them to paint the tip orange. This was their reply:

"Thank you. Your order is changing the orange muzzle. we will try the best to ship it out and update the tracking number."

I asked to confirm that meant that they painted the muzzle orange. They replied back with this:

"Thank you. Due to customs clearance, the orange muzzle nuzzle is needed for airsoft replica. We have changed the orange muzzle by paint the tip of the muzzle."

What I'm worried about is that the chinglish speaking people at WGC thought I meant to paint the orange muzzle black, and they did just that.

Ive had guns sit in customs for over a week before. They probably havent seized it, More likely it sitting in a sorting facility and hasnt been looked at yet, Or has been already and just didnt get an update. The postal service fails to update statuses really f'ing often so I wouldnt worry unless you get a letter from the BATF.

In either case, as was mentioned by PureSilver, The GHK AKM has no real reason to be seized in the first place.

Also I wouldnt worry about the orange paint, WGC wont send a gun to the US without painting it. Also, In Hong Kong, the guns dont come with orange muzzles, so their reference to painting could only mean they painted it orange.

Okay, it will be a week tommorrow. If it infant has already left and they haven't updated it, does that just mean they haven't updated the website? I am going to the post office tommorrow to ship a package, if I give them the tracking number would they be able to tell me where it is?

WGC replied to my email, this is what they said:

"Thank you for your inquiry,

Please be inform that it have come with orange tip and

this rilfe should not have trademark.In this case,please

contact the custom at your side asap because we've got some

worst case with US custom before,it's tooks more then 1 month

for custom clearance/inspection.

Thanks,"

I should be going to the post office today, when I do I will ask them if they can provide a phone number or anything. In regards to WTF?Shane, today has made it a week, so hopefully it will leave customs anyday now. I'm going to be pretty if it takes over a month, my goal when I ordered it was to at least have a working galil-lookalike before school started.

Sorry for the double post, but does anybody know how the the heck I am supposed to remove the rear sight block. I took out the grub screw on the bottom, however the pin that holds it in place won't move in any farther than it already is, and I've been trying to punch it out for the last 20 minutes. The GHK manual doesn't help, and in the exploded diagram for a RS AK74 the only thing holding the block in place is this one pin.

EC5BxRk.jpg

Sorry for the double post, but does anybody know how the the heck I am supposed to remove the rear sight block. I took out the grub screw on the bottom, however the pin that holds it in place won't move in any farther than it already is, and I've been trying to punch it out for the last 20 minutes. The GHK manual doesn't help, and in the exploded diagram for a RS AK74 the only thing holding the block in place is this one pin.

Tried punching from the other side? Often a pin will be tapered or have a textured end to keep it in place - I don't mean to sound patronising or anything, just it took me 2 years of mangling gas blocks to realise that. I'm a slow learner.

Anyhow, I'm really hoping this works out - Would love to hear it's not a hugely difficult conversion!

When I get a chance I will try that. Both guns are currently disassembled, a pic is below. I've been thinking about it and a conversion shouldn't be that difficult. Of course I don't plan on making the gun a 100% Galil Match. Since I am going to use the AK receiver, the bottom of the reciever will be flat, as opposed to the upward slant of the galil reciever. Another thing I think I will have trouble with it the stock. In hind site I should have bought the normal AK74 model, as it has a fixed stock. I think it will be easier to mount the galil stock on the 74 hinge, however if I do this then it will fold to the left instead of like on the Galil, which folds to the right. Unfortunately I have orientation tommorrow, however. I should be able to continue working either tommorrow evening or on Saturday.

(Excuse the bad lighting and crappy carpeting.)

HHdf83N.jpg

I ran into a problem when trying to install the Galil Gas Block: the gas piston on the AK is too long. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I need to do to solve the problem. I emailed GHK and inquired if I could buy a BCG and Gas Piston for the AK74U, it is shorter and should helpfully work. However depending on the price it may not p be an option for me.

XVvg6AM.jpg

Thanks for the link. I am heavily considering buying an upgraded recoil kit, however I do not know if I should buy the AK74U version. Since the Gas Piston would not fit unless I buy a shorter one, I am considering using the original AK74 gas tube. The only problem is that the brackets used to hold the upper handguard get in the way of the Galil lower handguard. Does anyone know if it is possible to remove them? One of them appears to be welded, however i think that it may also be glued.

HSr6Zt0.jpg

A bit of a minor update, but I was able to install the Handguard aswell as remove the rear sight from the RSB. The KA handguard retainer was literally half a millimeter too thin to fit on the GHK, I has to apply extensive hammering and filing for it to fit. The next thing I plan to do is the gas tube and sight, I think I will modify the Galil Gas tube so if I ever want to revert back to the AKS74 I can. I also tried fitting on the dust cover, it is about a millimeter too short and the space in the back to accept the recoil rod spring holder thing is slightly too narrow. However I will hopefully be able to mod and install it. Oh and BTW, the magazine will be black.

kT2asGt.jpg

And I'm 99.99% sure it will do just fine, but I thought I should ask before I blow $40. Do any of you modding wizards know if this grip will work? It's a Galil style grip custom modified to fit AK's, and since the GHK should work with real grips then this should also work.

http://shop.roninsgrips.com/Custom-Grip-Converted-Galil-for-AKs-with-Screw-AKGalil.htm

Sorry for upon update recently, life got in the way. However I plan in fitting the gas tube and front sight block today, I will post pics when I do. I also just ordered a galil grip custom fitted for AK's, unfortunately it will take 4-6 weeks to arrive due to the fact that it's custom made.

Archived