Staying in the Game

TheFull9

Having played the Stirling 24 hour Op Stonewall, my thoughts upon reflection are very mixed, with an overall feeling of *Meh* and some dissatisfaction. But that's probably down to my own expectations prior to going. It was my first ever milsim and my first ever FIBUA event. It was good in some ways and not so good in others. Some of the guys on my team (Police) were also unhappy as to how they event was going and in particular to how ineffective our team was. We were just targets constantly and there was a bit of disagreement about how we should have been approaching the role, as being above board and legal was not working for us at all. Even my mate, who played on the ISAF team said the event wasn't all that good compared to the BritTac event 3 weeks previous at the same site, or the Tier1 event that he played previously. So it's not just me having totally unrealistic expectations. Basically, there simply was not enough action for me and I hated the 24 hours part, after the 10.5 car journey from home. I think I'm too used to and would have simply preferred of a more clear-cut 2-team skirmish type approach, but still using the same site, for more action and direction. Instead it was claer as mud as to who we could trust and who was for and against us, which led to paranoia (God knows how our soldiers cope in real life) and a lack of trigger time. Overall, I'm glad I experienced it, but I don't think that level of milsim is for me at the moment and I don't think I'd rush back to such an event, mostly due to the sheer distance and 24 hour play. However, I am looking forward to the AI500 in a few weeks, which is a bit closer to home and more to my style. I had wanted to sign up for Stirling's Sco vs Eng game to give that a try too, but ti's the wife's birthday that weekend, so I don't think I'll manage it. Knowing what I know now, I would very much have preferred to have played with the OpFor side, as they could engage whoever they wanted without being hindered by ROE etc.
Overall, I'd probably rate my first milsim experience 6/10.

Positives:
Copehill is an awesome site to play at!
Everybody was dressed accordingly and playing their roles very well creating a level of nervousness and apprehension (almost total suspension of disbelief) that I've never experienced before. The level of detail put into the event was excellent. Even after the event, I was feeling like I had to run from the car to Burger King, in case of sniper fire, lol!
It was a massive education with regards to the much more professional/serious side of airsoft and the bits of kit that you don't otherwise get to see at walk-ons, like working RPG's and booby traps etc. I was so impressed by the levels of kit and overall approach to the event by everybody there.
Gen 3 night vision is amazing to try, especially looking at the night sky. We only see a small fraction of the stars at night with the naked eye!
Properly set up, accurate 500FPS bolt action VSR's are to be feared in FIBUA!
Riding around on vehicles can be much fun, as is role-play (to an extent), but too much messing around in vehicles takes away from actually getting out and moving around the back alleys etc.
Big boy rules for the most part.
Earplugs are a necessity for getting any sleep!!
My hydration carrier was very useful, as was my battery charger for keeping my cameras and phone going, so new bits of kit that worked out well.
Mostly always single shot.
Team radios (I really need to get one).

Negatives:
10.5 hour drive to get there and 9 hours on the return.
Absolutely knackered from the trip and unable to sleep on the first night, which left me so tired and more susceptible to boredom on the first day of the event.
Too much downtime, standing about waiting and not knowing what was going on, leaving me feeling rather bored at times.
4.5 hours to fire a single BB!
I think I fired less than 100 rounds in 24 hours and only got about 10 kills for the whole event, dying more than I killed.
I got killed about 5 times and captured once on day 1, with only 1 or 2 kills to show for it.
I got killed plenty more times again on day 2, with a few more kills to show for myself, but still nowhere near as much action as I had anticipated, which I think was the main issue for me.
I packed way too much stuff for the event, especially ammo. I never once got to fire my pistol or use my impact grenade and was carrying way too many mags, when in reality, 3 mags would have done me.
I should have brought a lamp for my room and a head-torch.
Accommodation sucked, with huge spiders in my room. I'm more of a 5-star hotel type :)
Only a dozen Police players, out of 160 on site, so we got very little accomplished, very hardly any action and were shot at by all and sundry, with no clue as to who had what intentions towards us. We weren't able to patrol and guard our base at the same time, so when the *suitcase* hit the fan, we had no backup.
General lack of communication and clear direction as to what we were supposed to be doing/who we were for and against etc. At one point, a pact had supposedly been made with some Opfor group, who took the hump when I shot them for engaging ISAF, but nobody had told me this and I had already been shot at by one of their own guys, so it was a cluster-*fruitcage* at times.
I probably didn't help matters by declaring I was bored at 11pm and retiring to my bed for 8 hours, even when the action was kicking off around me and I stayed in bed, not giving a toss, because I was so tired.
Wearing full kit with plate carrier etc is a hindrance when moving through buildings. Lightweight, not-bulky, with quiet footwear and clothing for being sneaky is the way forward.
Lower face protection is a must, as I got shot in both top and bottom lips on separate occasions.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I stopped purely because of the Walter Mitty's and welts that this sport seems to attract. I stopped playing 3 years ago and i am going to play my first game in that time in a couple of weeks. I am hoping the sport has changed.

Me and my old man used to play together. I'm currently serving and he is an ex Para. We both got sick of hearing peoples "war stories" and seeing people wearing TRF's, ranks and unit insignia's which they had no right to wear.

It may we be the places we were playing at but it seemed pretty rampant 3 years ago.

People wear TRFs and the like (in at least 90% of cases I'd say) because they've bought second hand issue uniforms (because they're cheap and plentiful) and they've literally zero clue at all as to what the little coloured squares or logos mean; same thing with rank in a lot of instances, though I've rarely seen any rank tabs.

Most players you see at sites haven't ever been on to forums to post their kit, so nobody's told them online and most likely nobody's told them in person; because the vast majority of civvies don't know and plenty of people who are in and also play, simply don't care.  I know I don't give a *fruitcage* about TRFs and the like as long as they're not in a full set of insignia and lying about serving when they haven't (which I've never seen once in my 9+ years).

'War Stories', well it depends.  Going on about your time in 'ghanners' like you've served when you haven't is obviously the same BS as above, but I've not encountered that at a game.

People wear TRFs and the like (in at least 90% of cases I'd say) because they've bought second hand issue uniforms (because they're cheap and plentiful) and they've literally zero clue at all as to what the little coloured squares or logos mean; same thing with rank in a lot of instances, though I've rarely seen any rank tabs.

Most players you see at sites haven't ever been on to forums to post their kit, so nobody's told them online and most likely nobody's told them in person; because the vast majority of civvies don't know and plenty of people who are in and also play, simply don't care.  I know I don't give a *fruitcage* about TRFs and the like as long as they're not in a full set of insignia and lying about serving when they haven't (which I've never seen once in my 9+ years).

'War Stories', well it depends.  Going on about your time in 'ghanners' like you've served when you haven't is obviously the same BS as above, but I've not encountered that at a game.

What used to grip me and the old man was the attitude received after politely pointing out that perhaps they should remove certain patches from their uniform. Like i said it may well have been the places i played at (i did however play all over the place). 

Im planning on getting back into the game big style i used to play every week. Hopefully i just encountered an unfortunately high number of throbbers back in the day.

I suppose as with many competitive sports there is an awful lot of testosterone wandering about and its just something to brush off.

What used to grip me and the old man was the attitude received after politely pointing out that perhaps they should remove certain patches from their uniform. Like i said it may well have been the places i played at (i did however play all over the place). 

Im planning on getting back into the game big style i used to play every week. Hopefully i just encountered an unfortunately high number of throbbers back in the day.

I suppose as with many competitive sports there is an awful lot of testosterone wandering about and its just something to brush off.

They're still out there, I just let them crack on now it's easier.  No one really believes the 22st fat bloke with a pony tail and neckbeard earned the Royal Marines Commando flash on the shoulders of his slightly too small UBACS anyway :)

I stopped purely because of the Walter Mitty's and welts that this sport seems to attract. I stopped playing 3 years ago and i am going to play my first game in that time in a couple of weeks. I am hoping the sport has changed.

Me and my old man used to play together. I'm currently serving and he is an ex Para. We both got sick of hearing peoples "war stories" and seeing people wearing TRF's, ranks and unit insignia's which they had no right to wear.

It may we be the places we were playing at but it seemed pretty rampant 3 years ago.

its changed alright.. its gotten worse. now you have those guys on top of the rich kids who wear thousands in gear. every time I see an actual plate stuffed into a plate carrier I have the urge to test it. hence why I just collect/backyard shoot now. its not fun otherwise

its changed alright.. its gotten worse. now you have those guys on top of the rich kids who wear thousands in gear. every time I see an actual plate stuffed into a plate carrier I have the urge to test it. hence why I just collect/backyard shoot now. its not fun otherwise

Then you're the one with the problems.

If anyone wants to wear "thousands in gear" or carry actual plates, that's their own business, it has no bearing on you at all - fact.  Saying you want to actually shoot someone because they run their gear a certain way that you deem to not be 'fitting' or whatever is both ridiculous and immeasurably childish.

Tell me about it mate saw a kid with a swimming gala patch that I know they didn't EARN as they weren't even alive for Hampshire juniors 1998. Ripped it right off and stuffed it down their mouth.

What about those who have spent time and money putting together a spot on loadout but don't give the war stories and are happy to say they never served?? Should they be given the same treatment as those claiming to be the 89th man on the balcony in 1980

You recently uploaded photos an explanation of how you fitted REAL parts into your replica gun. Not really a significant difference. 

You recently uploaded photos an explanation of how you fitted REAL parts into your replica gun. Not really a significant difference. 

Good you let me know that. Now, excuse me while I go lecture the unwashed masses on my exploits in the congo with the royal marines

Good you let me know that. Now, excuse me while I go lecture the unwashed masses on my exploits in the congo with the royal marines

I dont use "real", I dont have any exploits, I never really talk to anyone except for Cody the head tech and admin about odd Airsoft stuff

Some pimple faced dumbass tried to tell me he was a sniper.

These airforce kids tried to say he almost had a PTSD flashback from thunderb going off.

For starters these kids sit in a civilian ran radio facility, so no way they would know what PTSD is like.

Another kid tried to tell me his rrv vest was real yet its in black and shines like a diamond in a goats *albatross* under nv.

Kids! Yet they tell me this *suitcase* because I have a beard, gas gums only and don't talk thinking I'm some badass.

Yeah I'm a badass alright you no hit calling *fruitcage*tards.

Since i mostly play mostly rebel with east europe impression i guess i could kind of look "newbie" but then i somewhat did what i was suppose to.. I don't like being all tacticool, i want it to look like a regular guy that joined a fight for a reason! (tho, *suitcase*'s not cheap since i buy mostly old RS stuff :/ ) 

Archived