First Impressions: Tokyo Marui M4 MWS GBBR

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I made something happen recently. At the last game I attended, I noticed that there was roughly a million other players using Mk18's. Therefore I've gone down the hoorah road and utilised a Spear A

Hi guys.   I've waited for this rifle to be released for what felt like forever. Purchased from Impulse101 in Japan, this is among the first batch and I ordered 3 additional magazines which I was to

I've managed to piece together the video. It has taken longer than I expected due to doing some home improvements which diverted much of my time.   Mainly focusing on a comparison between it and th

Thought I should post this, not my picture, but posted on our local forum here.

User put over 2000 rounds with propane, and the "plastic buffer" broke.

"Minor damage, the gun still works, some of the plastic on the end of the buffer has chipped off."

cZJJFv5.jpg

I tested a standard M4 type buffer in the TM M4 and it works just fine with no perceivable change in rate of fire or magazine efficiency.  Of course, a standard buffer is shorter so you have put some spacers inside the buffer tube so the carrier doesn't travel too far inside the tube.

Only time will tell if a standard buffer causes other problems such as breaking the buffer detent...

So I received the mws. I have to say, the auto on this thing is mental. The performance is extremely consistent and predictable. I had a few guilty spurts of using it to propane but i soon will switch it back to duster since it's still 86 F here in sunny Florida during christmas season. 

some criticism: The trigger doesn't feel as good as the GHK. If you're looking for realism, the bolt doesn't slam home as satisfying as the GHK (due to the MWS system). Needless to say, it is very reliable and I look forward to having some trouble free skirmish rounds. I am having trouble finding extra mags for this thing. Will give second impressions after a few games. Everything else about the gun feels solid, I love the Cerokote finish. 

So is GHK still the (in most peoples opion) best considering it performs well on green gas. Rocks on co2 with no need to worry about breakage as the meterials used are proper steel etc. I have seen reports of the Marui breaking from green gas. I have also heard reports of the marui feeling and looking like a cheap toy in asthetics comparison to other gbb ar's.

I was waiting for the marui to appear so I could make up my mind, but I think I'll keep all my WOCS as they are MY favourite.

Edited by icolater

So is GHK still the (in most peoples opion) best considering it performs well on green gas. Rocks on co2 with no need to worry about breakage as the meterials used are proper steel etc. I have seen reports of the Marui breaking from green gas. I have also heard reports of the marui feeling and looking like a cheap toy in asthetics comparison to other gbb ar's.

I was waiting for the marui to appear so I could make up my mind, but I think I'll keep all my WOCS as they are MY favourite.

I see no need for a tm.

Right now? GHK is a better option OOTB...however, IF the aftermarket airsoft companies go crazy in support of the TM design, then it could propel to the top.  Only time will tell...

• Like 1

Price, GHK Best bang for buck :)

With TM + Aftermarket support going to rack up to $1000+ easily :)

Given GHK has a lot of bells and whistles this is the comparative platforms which are similar.  I have excluded the vipers and inokatsu as they are man cave toys and not really practical skirmish pieces.

GHK CQBR $475 (Steel BCG, steel FCG, steel barrel) + Spare Mag $55-60

VFC MK18 $380 (Zinc BCG, Steel FCG, Steel barrel) + Spare V2 Mag $48 (Basically puts the VFC gas capacity into the GHK level) + Steel BCG $120

I would say that the VFC is pretty close to the GHK, given the CQBR rail is cheaper than the Mk18 rails and magazine makes up the extra costs.  Both similar in system (AEG hop and barrels),  GHK kicks marginally better.

Running costs: GHK has numerous issues with bolt catches wear, leaky mags, inconsistent hop, mag problems, while VFC has firing pin problems, nozzle break/double feeding issues + FCG wear and tear.  I would say running costs are similar, with VFC cheaper for replacement parts.

I am bias to the VFC as it is 90% compatible with the RS, except the upper receiver.

----------------------------------

The Marui with its material and construction is closer to a WE/WOC than the GHK. 

Marui with an RIS $440 + Magazine $40

WE with an RIS ~$340 + Magazine v2 $40

WOC with an RIS ~$310 + Magazine $45

All 3 are around the same, though Marui's running cost is unknown, while WE's running cost are much cheaper than a WOC.  WE also has the advantage of being 70% compatible to the RS, taking RS barrel nuts and stock tubes as well as pistol grips and etc while WOC and Marui cannot.  Though WOC has a higher operating power output (420fps), WE kicks better. 

To upgrade a WE to the same level as a GHK, will need steel outer barrel ($120), steel FCG (~$100), steel bolt carrier ($100), which really puts the WE costs a lot higher.  I expect around the same sort of costs for aftermarket bits $300-400 for a Marui.

----------------------

GHK is probably the biggest bang for the buck, but the real question is whether it would "bang" when we want it to in differing conditions.  Ideally we want a gun that shoots >99% of the time consistently and accurately so finding that is the challenge.  I would say that so far the WE does exactly that without a million issues, while VFCs require some love.  I can't say much for the GHK as I don't skirmish with one, nor do I have a marui, and I sold my WA/WOC/VIPER/INO systems a long time ago. 

Edited by 3vi1-D4n

My ghk has never had a leakey mag(lube them!)

My ghk has a solid bolt lock, never failed.

My hop is not inconsistent

Kick is a stupid way to say one format is better.

Same with fps.

The beat clone of WA is g&p, but vt/ino is all steel yadda yadda.

my we was 90% stock and would go bang every time. I had a tbb/bucking because I went longer OB. The npas is a *suitcase* design, I had 3 strip out from marginal adjustments.

Vfc has a ###### mag design, that is 90% of its issues.

The marui afaic like the m870 to many parts to do something.

My we I only had to replace something I broke.

Ghk, I have not broke anything

Edited by Alias1983

My ghk has never had a leakey mag(lube them!)

My ghk has a solid bolt lock, never failed.

My hop is not inconsistent

Kick is a stupid way to say one format is better.

Same with fps.

The beat clone of WA is g&p, but vt/ino is all steel yadda yadda.

my we was 90% stock and would go bang every time. I had a tbb/bucking because I went longer OB. The npas is a *suitcase* design, I had 3 strip out from marginal adjustments.

Vfc has a ###### mag design, that is 90% of its issues.

The marui afaic like the m870 to many parts to do something.

My we I only had to replace something I broke.

Ghk, I have not broke anything

Given how brief the GHK M4 has been around vs the amount of documented common problems I would say the GHK has its fair amount of issues.  Just because you haven't seen it on yours it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  I have had friends who have skirmished with their GHK no more than 6 times in CQB have all found issues.  VFC isn't without issues either, but both GHK and VFC have spares accessible and at cheap prices so they aren't all that bad.

And yeah, I did say VFC V2 mags.  V1 mags are pretty bad, but having skirmished with one for 5 years and knowing how to fix them, they aren't unworkable.  BTW, I run all my GBBs DRY without additional lube (just propane no silicone), and they are all sealing gas.  Lube is temporary and while they make things work, it affects rubbers, sticks to barrels and affects consistent performance.  If GBB mags cannot seal without additional lube then something needs work.

Of course I will point out the obvious: taking things personally in a discussion about GBBR cost effectiveness is not really what we are here for. 

As I am a gunsmith and an airsoft tech, my options, opinions and views will be different from the users. And as a user, I skirmish normally 8hrs a time (sometimes 16-24hrs), between 0*C and 30*C with humidity between 20% and 90%, in differing terrain between sand, torrential rain, desert, dense bushlands and forests, with exposure to salt and fresh water, views will be different yet again from skirmishers who fire a lot of rounds in FIBUA/Speedball situations where mostly in controlled environments.  e.g. I do not advocate MOSFETs event though I run high FPS setups because of salt water/heavy rain exposure and I prefer 6.08mm-6.05mm barrels as they jam less and more resistant to oils, sand and debris.

Edited by 3vi1-D4n

Have you got around to changing the rail yet? I've got the Spear Arms spacer coming in for my DD RIS II that has been sitting on the sideline waiting to be put on the MWS. Not looking forward to sourcing an AEG style DD barrel nut/rethreading the upper. At least the upper is not a three piece design like KWA.

Hmm, my upper fit without any issue a WE barrel nut which is milspec threading...

The ghk bolt lock will fail, along with the other issues I've also experienced. The marui seems to be trouble free so far, a piece of mind everytime i bring it out which is worth a lot to me. 

Eh, if it does stop locking back, 5 minutes with a flat file gets it locking back 100%.  Reports from newer batches seems this isn't the case anymore for what it is worth.

TM has issues...primarily the horrendous trigger and the fact that you have to open the mag and remove the silver tube if you want to run green gas/propane with any efficiency.

• Like 1

I had two GHK m4s, one was a 14.5 inch bought a year ago and a RA TECH spec'ed 300 blackout. Both had the bolt failure down the line. I did rectify the issue with file as L2E mentioned (samoon has a lot of convenient resources for GHK issues on their website which is where I resolve most of the problems). In my experience, the performance was ok. I'm a guy who just likes a performer out of the box, and the GHK did reasonably well considering my prior with other GBBRs. 

I'll have to agree to the trigger on the marui, I do not like it. The GHK had a nice trigger, as well as the bolt riding back into battery. Recoil is good on the marui but better with the GHK. 

All that said, I would still take the marui if both were available to me at the same time with my experience thus far. The mechanics of working the rifle in-field is important to me along with consistency in performance. I can also trust that my bolt will lock back 100% of the time (knock on wood) unlike the uncertainty with the GHK that requires filing every now and then. There are pro and cons to the marui though, so I would suggest to purchase based on the priority of your preferences. There are cons, but i have not found any "mechanical issues" so far with my fielding. I have been using it with duster so I can't comment with the propane inefficiency. 

Edited by Honzo

One of the things that is a con for me with the TM design is over complicating the entire action.  The FCG is overly complicated as is the BCG.  There was nothing wrong with the FCG of M4 GBB varriants or the way the bolt locks to the rear as long as you use heat treated steel for the engagement points OR replicate what WE/VFC do.  

Time will tell what comes of the TM M4 design and GBB enthusiasts are living in interesting times with all the excellent options we have now.  Just 6-7 short years ago we were all living in WA/G&P GBB hell :)