Eo-Tech Holo-Sights

The 511/551 (using N size batteries) is the shortest,

the 553 is medium length (CR123 batteries)

and the 512/552 (AA batteries) is the longest.

Who is the real maker of this EoTech replica and is it worth it?

If it's not a HurricanE, then it's a bit overpriced.

BTW, for anyone who's interested in replica 552s, there have been a lot of reports about ghosted reticles (seeing 2 reticles instead of one clear reticle). I'd recommend avoiding the 512/552 replicas until good reports come in.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, for anyone who's interested in replica 552s, there have been a lot of reports about ghosted reticles (seeing 2 reticles instead of one clear reticle).  I'd recommend avoiding the 512/552 replicas until good reports come in.

Pfft.

I suspect most of those reports come from chairsofters.

The design of the sight mean you will always get reflections but, when in use, if you're using the sight in poor lighting you MUST turn the brightness down or you'll be "dazzled" by the reticle anyway, which gets rid of the ghosting.

In bright light, with the brightness turned up, then you can't see the ghosting because it's drowned out by the ambient light.

Sure, if you're sitting in your living room looking through the sight with the brightness turned all the way up then the ghosting IS apparent but it's not an issue when the scope is in proper use. :)

Pfft.

The design of the sight mean you will always get reflections but, when in use, if you're using the sight in poor lighting you MUST turn the brightness down or you'll be "dazzled" by the reticle anyway, which gets rid of the ghosting.

In bright light, with the brightness turned up, then you can't see the ghosting because it's drowned out by the ambient light.

Sure, if you're sitting in your living room looking through the sight with the brightness turned all the way up then the ghosting IS apparent but it's not an issue when the scope is in proper use. :)

No, not exactly. Actually this is info from my HK supplier whom I have imported replica 551s through in the past. He said that he tried to get me some replica 552s but they were horrible compared to the replica 551s. He was comparing replica vs. replica. Personally I use RS Eotechs, but a few friends requested some replicas so I tried to add a few to my last shipment. I'll have to wait till those issues get resolved.

Pfft.

You do understand that the eotech was developed with the thought that it would be used inside places like people's livinig rooms, right? If the sight needs ambient light to work properly, it isn't doing it's job. There's a reason you never see the trijicon rx01 in use anymore.

I put my C3 surefire on the right rail and leave the other one exposed. The only real reason to cover them is for protection of the rails themselves and to avoid wearing down or snagging on rappelling ropes.

Actually, rail covers are to protect your hands from the rough edges of the teeth and from heat. Real guns have this habit of heating up. :(

Hey, Im going to be jumpen into the world of eotech holosights. Currently i have an mp5a4, & an mp7. Im going to have my Classic army G3SG1 by CHristmas. Basically i need some help with oppinion on what ver. eotech to get. Should i go with the 552, or the 512, or the 551, ect? WHat reasons? Which version would be the best to get with the weapons ive got so far? Im goin for the real deal obviously (ive seen some pretty good prices on ebay ) and was wondering if there is some advice, or stuff i should buy right away with the sight? Will i need to buy a mount for it to fit on my guns? (note my G3 has a high profile tm mount ready for it, and im getting the low profile mount for the mp5. the mp7 obviously just has the rail on the top of the weapon.) Thanks alot and sry for the noob questions but i dont want to screw up such an expensive order. Thanks again

Why would anyone spend 100-180 dollars on a replica eotech that does the EXACT same thing as a replica aimpoint they can buy for 30 dollars?

Seriously, whats the point?

Either buy a real eotech to get the unique feature set or just go with a damned aimpoint...

The hurricane eotechs that ive looked at have the ugliest reticle on the planet. Its just downright distracting and difficult to look at. Id take an aimpoint dot over the diode generated fakotech reticle.

@ yeatzee: If I were you, I would get the 511. It's the less costy one and it will look better on your MP5. Of course, on a long rifle such as the G3 SG1, a 512 would prolly look better, but you'll prolly want some magnification on that particular AEG. So yeah, just get a 511, it looks perfect on an MP5 :)

Being shorter, the 511/551 would probably look better on your guns. However, don't forget that the 5X1 series uses N size batteries, whereas the 5X2 series uses AA size batteries. I have both a 551 and a 552, and I find that N size batteries can be a bit of a PITA to find in stores and are a bit more expensive than the AA batteries.

You do understand that the eotech was developed with the thought that it would be used inside places like people's livinig rooms, right? If the sight needs ambient light to work properly, it isn't doing it's job. There's a reason you never see the trijicon rx01 in use anymore.

Erm, yeah.

If you're USING the sight indoors then you dial the brightness back. If you DON'T do this then it'll be so bright that it'll dazzle you and stop you actually seeing anything through it.

What I'm saying is that if you're sitting in front of the TV playing with the sight and you have the brightness cranked right up then you'll get the ghosting.

If you're using the sight correctly, and have the brightness adjusted to match the ambient light, then you won't have a problem.

Have you actually used one of these fake EoTechs?

Don't mean to be stroppy. It's just that, unless you've actually used one you probably won't understand what I mean about the reticel.

It's possible to wind up the brightness enough that it can easily "dazzle" you so you can't actually see through the sight in low light. If you reduce the reticle brightness it works fine but, if you leave it bright, THAT is when it produces the ghost images.

The bad ghosting I'm talking about is different than what you are describing Stealth. When you see the bad ghosting I'm talking about, it will be pretty obvious. The ghosting you're describing is due to over brightness of the reticule that can make the reticule look fuzzy. Heck, even real optics have that. "Ghosting" as I'm describing it, is actually seeing a second reticule floating about offset from the correct reticule. Usually due to poorly made or poorly aligned lenses within the sight.

They're very different issues. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it. It's pretty obvious.

Im not a big fan of aimpoints, mainly because of the "tunnel vision". I dont know...i just dont like using them, but thts my personal preferance of course. Alright, i guess im now going to be headed towards either a 551 or a 511.....which do u guys think? Also ive been wanting an eotech forever, and have decided tht i migh as well get the real deal......im getting it for many reasons including funcionality.....

O yea, if i can find a great price on a 552 ect should i go w/ tht instead, i mean itll still look fine and ill have easier battery replacement availibility. right?

You should be using your aimpoint with both eyes open.

You're not supposed to be focused on looking through the tube.

When i use my aimpoints i focus on the dot and the target, it gets to the point where i dont even see the tube.

Erm, yeah.

If you're USING the sight indoors then you dial the brightness back. If you DON'T do this then it'll be so bright that it'll dazzle you and stop you actually seeing anything through it.

What I'm saying is that if you're sitting in front of the TV playing with the sight and you have the brightness cranked right up then you'll get the ghosting.

If you're using the sight correctly, and have the brightness adjusted to match the ambient light, then you won't have a problem.

Have you actually used one of these fake EoTechs?

Don't mean to be stroppy. It's just that, unless you've actually used one you probably won't understand what I mean about the reticel.

It's possible to wind up the brightness enough that it can easily "dazzle" you so you can't actually see through the sight in low light. If you reduce the reticle brightness it works fine but, if you leave it bright, THAT is when it produces the ghost images.

No, I've only used real ones. Guess I'll have to take your word on this one.

Im not a big fan of aimpoints, mainly because of the "tunnel vision".

You should be using your aimpoint with both eyes open.

Well, yeah but maybe that's why the guy SAID he doesn't like using them.

Given that we're not real soldiers who are FORCED to learn to use issued kit, and we ARE fashion-victims who buy what we like (;)) it's perfectly acceptable for him to buy a sight he prefers rather than learn to use one he doesn't like.

No, I've only used real ones. Guess I'll have to take your word on this one.

Right ho.

Like I said, not trying to teach you to suck eggs. I just reckon the problems with ghosting on replica EoTechs are exaggerated and, unless you've played with one for yourself, you're not really likely to understand it. :)

I will, at some point try to take some pictures but I fear that a camera might not show things how they look to a human eye.

The main thing is that, in poor light, you can make the reticle REALLY bright. That's when the ghosting appears BUT you really shouldn't be using the sight with it that bright cos you honestly can't see through it cos it dazzles you.

The reason for that is cos the reticle is a copy of the EoTech one and, as a result, fills up most of the screen.

mg4240gm3.jpg

Like that Stealth?

It's true that if you use it outdoors and dial it down enough, it does minimize the ghosting, but it's still there.

It's a shambles because I don't want to be focused on faffing about with the controls when I move indoors to get it managable, I want to be looking out at my surroundings, if it auto-adjusted it'd be sweet, but that's not going to happen!

Like that Stealth?

It's true that if you use it outdoors and dial it down enough, it does minimize the ghosting, but it's still there.

It's a shambles because I don't want to be focused on faffing about with the controls when I move indoors to get it managable, I want to be looking out at my surroundings, if it auto-adjusted it'd be sweet, but that's not going to happen!

Whats the brightness setting? It seems it's not low enough. The less light, the less brighter it should be, otherwise it will "bleed". This goes to any optics with illuminated reticles.