bird flu/avian flu

Hvy gear

just wondering if anyone is planning to protect themselves when this hit's the u.k, people will die here specially in the cities where are immune systems aren't at full operation due to the apmosphere , pollution etc.

what with us being in winter it's gonna be hard to identify regular flu from bird flu as the symptoms are the same.

me and my family are stocking up on masks and the like, will anybody be doing the same?

round here even the local sainsburys has started selling masks and anti bacterial sanitiser for hands wich states it kills the bird flu virus.

i myself are fairly worried what with the fatality rate and the fact that it's definitely coming.

just started up this thread to see peoples opinions.

edit: added a link,

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_information/h...04avianflu.html

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2004_01_15/en/

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just make sure you clean your house completely once a week - adding a dollop of bleach to your bucket when mopping the floor.

Wash your clothes and whatever more frequently. I wouldn't hang them outside if your house is situated close to the local wildlife.

stock up on them alcohol gel stuff for your hands. Bring a small bottle with you if you think you'll be using public toilets, or worse, portaloos...

Are your masks N95 or better? you need to make sure you have proper hospital stuff.

Mum works at a hospital so she proper went and stocked up pretty much everything when SARS and Avian Flu hit Hong Kong.

Just make sure your kitchen surface is always clean. And get plenty of the usual supermarket/Mr.Muscle/dettox cleaning stuff for the surfaces.

Proper frozen poultry/game is fine by the way - that are the stuff that get killed and quick frozen.

Which means frozen ready meals ftw! \o/ and pizzas etc etc

:)

cheers,

i'm a vegi :unsure: so i don't eat meat anyway but i'm all for frozen cheese pizzas, just got to make sure i cook em properly next time ;) .

we went for this type,

http://www.uksurvive.com/cart/customer/pro...97d738c7082863c

and a few other types imported from america, better that the N95 type, i hear those have poor face contact.

Well ATM unless you go round hugging birds or anything else that requires you to work closely with birds then you should be fine. Remember only 60 people worldwide have died in the last couple of years, which isn't much. The reason it's being reported so seriously is the way that it could mutate and go from human to human. Though this hasn't officially happened yet (there's one of two isolated stories which need looking into mind.)

Just get the normal flu jab if you are worried and make sure you get a decent diet (5 fruit/veg etc, especially Vit C for the winter).

Hopefully it won't even reach the UK this winter, the news mentioned something about the migrating birds are not heading our way.

£35 for ONE????

wahhhh!!!! extortion!!!

well at least you got some...

yeah the N95s are pretty standard and basic - just a flap of cottony virus/bacteria proof material with metal strips on the edges so you have to nudge it into your face to make it fit properly

But most of us HK'ers survived whatever hit us, so it's not exactly god-awful. So if you can keep plenty of these for backup, perhaps.

The microwave can be cleaned using alcohol as well. Stock up on wet wipes and alcohol wipes too.

--------------

grimes is right though... it's not going to be some 28 days later situation really.

It happened in HK and China cus...

at the local markets, the tradition has the housewives checking the chicken personally... by hand.

what they do is pick them up and like... proper inspects them - wings, eyes peak and *albartroth*... it's just to check the freshness and look for any signs of disease.

So this type of contact is quite risky. The only way for avian flu to pose any threat is when it gets to the poorly run farms that practise battery farming.

Those places are reputed to be "hell holes in a basket" and if anywhere that's probably the most likely place to start.

Still, it's not going to wipe you out like the Plaque... which also came from the east mind :P

don't mean to scare anyone...

I'm not at all worried about this so called killer virus.

In the eighties we were all told millions of UK people were going to die in a short space of time from AIDS. :(

We were then told we were all going to fry to death within 10 years by some so called "expert" proffessor from global warming. :(

Then we were all told we were going to die in our millions by SARS, Anthrax and BSE. :(

Now we are once again being told we are all going to die some this bird flu thing. :(

Hmm, I wonder.

Scaremongering. Thats all I believe it is. I'm just wondering who has the most to gain out of this little bit of panicky nonsense. Pharmacutical companies maybe? <_<

At least, thats what I think.

Steve.

Yeah exactly,I mean, they need to keep an eye on things and have safe guards incase the worse thing does happen and it mutates, but the fact they have gone out of their way to say at least 50,000 will die WHEN it reaches us just takes the ###### a bit.

It's just going to cause panic buying and allow super markets, as you said, to cash in with "bird flu repellent" and other pointless products.

By all means don't just disregard the whole thing but don't start stocking up on stuff which isn't needed.

well, things like global warming do affect us in ways. as well as bse did, my point is that things like this however big or small do kill and i would like to be prepared,

sometimes experts are wrong and sometimes there right, and this information comes from the WHO and other high goverment figures.

for those neigh sayers this is why everyones scared

http://www.stanford.edu/group/virus/uda/

the 1918 flu pandemic that endded up killing more people than WW1 and that still got all over the world in 1918 when the only intercontinental travel was by ship, now the world is a much smaller place a a person with no more than cold symptoms (like i have now) can travel across the world before they are struck down and spread the virus to thousands of people while they are at it

its not like SARS because it cannont be geograpihcally contained to asia because of birds

and its not like aids because its airborn

suffice to say if this breaks out hundreds of thoseands of people WILL die

I am seriously not that worried about this Avion Flu thing. I know it sounds strange and scary and all, but what is there to worry about?

Right now, the virus can only be spread from contact between birds and Humans. If I touch an infected virus, I'm *fruitcage*ed, but if I turn around and touch you... YOU WILL LIVE!

Lesson to be learned: Don't touch vomiting birds

I know the big upset is over whether or not it will mutate and be able to be spread through humans. Big deal. If someone gets infected just lock them in the basement for two weeks and you won't be infected.

Lesson to be learned: Locking your Vomiting spouse in the basement can be benificial.

I say just keep humans from the birds and kill all the vomiting birds in the European theatre.

Lesson to be learned: Prometheus doesn't give a damn about this stuff...

:devil:

Lol that just reminded me of a sketch that was on Bremner, Bird and Fortune. Basically it was George W saying he would take on bird flu with the NRA and free the world from disease and what not.

Wish could find it somewhere now, it was pretty funny.

Anyways the big thing with bird flu is that it has to mutate, and if it does do that it doesn't mean you wil instantly die. The weak and elderly will make up the numbers in relation to the death rate, only if its the worse case scenario will we see it killing people from all walks of life.

on another note, pigs are potential mixing vessels as they can contract regular 'human type flu' and bird flu.

you don't need to be in contact with a bird to get it , just another person who has come from an infected country or place.

if you do get it the chances are you will die, there will be no anti viral medicine for it for 6 months as scientists have to identify the strand of virus first and then modify the anti viral drugs.

there was this thing called tamiflu that could counteract the effects of bird flu and even prevent it, but it's now in short supply. yesterday there was a dose on ebay u.k (removed now) that was at £84 with over a day left, as far as i know it is supposed to retail at a far lesser price than this, this just goes to show that people are worried and are buying up what they can to protect themselvs.

there are a lot of worried people in the u.k at the moment and because of this supplies are diminishing quite quickly, bird flu will most likely kill because it's a pandemic not an epidemic like sars wich was confined to a certain part of the world.

Archived