Hunting

Butter18c

Well, I went hunting this past weekend and got my first deer, a doe, about 110 pounds (not very big). I was misinformed about the location of the heart, so I ended up shooting it in its lungs. It ran about a 100 yards, across the road, and jumped over the barrier and stopped on the other side and died. I felt bad a little because I didnt hit it in the heart, because I wanted an instant kill and didnt want any suffering, but I'm getting over it.

Anybody else been hunting, and what animals have you got?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got some squashed bugs and spiders in my trophy case (my slipper). Other than that I don't big game hunt. I don't plan to...unless by some remarkable chance I'm stuck in the wilderness with a Remington 700/or Winchester model 70.

If I'm ever shooting at something alive, it's probably because I did indeed decide to go to Marine Officer Candidate School after my current stint at university.

I do.

Edit:

As well... I don't think England has such a problem as America/Canada.

A HUGE number of Car acccidents, Including Fatalities each year, are caused by Deer/Moose/Elk.

If you ever go out west, into colorado or such, you will see that Mule deer litterarly are worst then anything. There will be 40-50 by the side of the road at time. Chance of one jumping out? Much.

I would much rather shoot a deer, and eat it. Then hit it with the front of my pick up truck and leave a mess on the side of the road, and have thosands of dollars in damage.

As well, hunting helps cut down on the spread of dieases through animals.

To add to the whole 'It feels pain thing' - A deers body, has a much quicker reacting time then a humans. Thusly, when it gets shot, especially in a 'vital' location, it goes directly into shock - thusly, no pain. This is why there are regulated calibers you can hunt with - for example, you cannot hunt Deer, with a .22 Why? Because it will just hurt the deer - not put it into shock, nor kill it.

I've gotten, since the age of 9:

5 deer, 3 does 2 bucks

1 Mule deer

1 Elk

probably 2-3 dozen Pheasants

3 turkey.

Thats, all with a gun or bow of course.

Now, if your including the Deer that ran into the side of my pick up truck... Or the number of raccoons/musgrats that have invaded my bar and attack my cat, or have met my Goodyear wangler tire. Well, thats another story. (Btw. My Cat's life = More important then a racoon, which probably has freaking rabies.)

Well, I went hunting this past weekend and got my first deer, a doe, about 110 pounds (not very big). I was misinformed about the location of the heart, so I ended up shooting it in its lungs. It ran about a 100 yards, across the road, and jumped over the barrier and stopped on the other side and died. I felt bad a little because I didnt hit it in the heart, because I wanted an instant kill and didnt want any suffering, but I'm getting over it.

Anybody else been hunting, and what animals have you got?

You usaually dont want to try and shoot the heart, it is a hard shot, which may just injure the deer and have it go running off.

Yes I do hunt and I love it. Killed three deer a 110-120 pound knub buck, a 140 pound doe, and the big boy a 7 point 180-200 pound buck. (Wouldve been an 8 pointer but broke that antler off) Killed 5-10 squirrels (Taste like chicken) and a couple of rabbits.

Hope to go turkey hunting and some other kind of bird hunting. I know this would never happen but bear hunting in Alaska and some kind of big game in Africa.

You usaually dont want to try and shoot the heart, it is a hard shot, which may just injure the deer and have it go running off. 

Yes I do hunt and I love it. Killed three deer a 110-120 pound knub buck,  a 140 pound doe, and the big boy a 7 point 180-200 pound buck. (Wouldve been an 8 pointer but broke that antler off) Killed 5-10 squirrels (Taste like chicken) and a couple of rabbits. 

Hope to go turkey hunting and some other kind of bird hunting. I know this would never happen but bear hunting in Alaska and some kind of big game in Africa.

So jealous of you... All the hunting I've ever done is air rifle on Pigeons.. A lot of the farmers in the UK do hunt pigeons and other pests with shotguns which I will probably do sometime soon at a friends farm...But still the hunting that I wanted to do most is deer hunting.. maybe i should move to the US...

anyway, did you really ate a squirrel?... it sounds a bit frightening... and I am chinese...

Ive done pest control - shooting rats/rabbits and pidgeons, but i could never justify to myself shooting a deer. There are many more humane ways you could kill them, or even stop them going on the roads. Hunting a deer is a bit hit and miss if your a bad target, and it can cause the deer to suffer for a long time, however i dont care that much about vermin like rats/pidgeons and so on.

Deer need to be shot. There are very few wolves left in america because of people killing them so now it's our job to get rid of deer. If nobody does the deer will just die of starvation because of overpopulation or getting hit by cars. Deer actually cause more deaths than any other american animal, because they leap in front of cars. I wouldn't hunt deer myself, but I don't object to anyone who does.

I like fishing, but I'm actually a vegetarian so I throw the fish back.

Deer need to be shot. There are very few wolves left in america because of people killing them so now it's our job to get rid of deer.

Well if you didnt shoot the wolves then you wouldnt need to shoot the deer :D

Mitsuko, fish apparently cant feel pain, although this is being currently disputed, but that was the reasoning for throwing them back.

Can I just ask: What's the point of fishing if you just throw the fish back? Surely you're just hurting it for absolutley no reason whatsoever?

Yeah, that's true.

Fish don't have a nervous system like reptiles and mammals do though. They feel pain, but it's not nearly as intense as it would be if I put a hook through my own cheek. Fish are almost in the catagory of bugs to me.

Fishing isn't pointless if you eat fish, I've heard that fresh fish taste much better than any kind of store bought fish.

Well if you didnt shoot the wolves then you wouldnt need to shoot the deer :D

Mitsuko, fish apparently cant feel pain, although this is being currently disputed, but that was the reasoning for throwing them back.

I wish there where more wolves around, but they're been replaced by coyotes. I think the enviromental people are trying to bring the wolves back though.

I went hunting for pigions as pest control at my cousins. But I don't see why anybody would hunt for fun, vermin control, food and revenge (:o) I can understand, but not for fun.

Did you eat the doe afterwards? We shot a duck once but we ate it. I wouldn't kill any animal unless it was for food. I snared a rabbit once as well

Isn't snaring ileagle?

Deer need to be shot. There are very few wolves left in america because of people killing them so now it's our job to get rid of deer. If nobody does the deer will just die of starvation because of overpopulation or getting hit by cars. Deer actually cause more deaths than any other american animal, because they leap in front of cars. I wouldn't hunt deer myself, but I don't object to anyone who does.

I like fishing, but I'm actually a vegetarian so I throw the fish back.

I love the way people think that because they keep hitting them with cars its the deer that need killing. On that point though my old neighbor once hit and killed a deer, so hee took it home in his car boot and used it for food.

I wish there where more wolves around, but they're been replaced by coyotes. I think the enviromental people are trying to bring the wolves back though.

Yea they are apparently reintroducing wolves over here in Scotland. Hopefully onto maddonnas estate... :P

I don't know why, but it's fun.

I think anyone who likes fishing will tell you that waiting for the fish to bite it just as enjoyable as catching it.

I guess the main reason people like it is because it's a way to challenge yourself, you can just keep trying to get bigger and rarer types of fish. I like learning about the fish in my area and trying to come up with ways of catching them. It's not that easy. I caught a couple fish when I went fishing with my uncle last summer, and I bought my own fishing rod and stuff but I haven't caught any fish since then. When I was with my uncle I used live worms, but I know it's possible to get fish without real bait. I think most people who fish, even if they eat some of the fish, fish mostly for sport and throw most of the fish back. Fishing is something you can study your whole life and make money doing. I've heard you can get a doctorate studying fly fishing, I don't know if that's true but it wouldn't surprise me. There's an infinate number of books you can buy, competitions you can compete in, and fishing stuff you can buy.

Archived