My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

both appear to receive fine but neither transmit (as far as i can tell)...

Shall we start calling you Andy McNab then? :P

But that is always annoying, like trying to set up a wireless PC mouse and keyboard, one will transmit on it's own happily but when you use them at the same time they don't want to know.

'FireKnife'

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nervewrecking day right now.

I have a chance to finally go to a game tomorrow, but my physical health flat out fails.

1.Allergies

2.Feet are flaking/bleeding due to wear from work.

3.I suck at traversing adverse terrain.

I just don't feel like I'd perform as well as I'd like to. Top it off that it's a supposedly dangerous drive (memorial weekend and whatnot), and it's a very indecisive time for me right now.

Just go, trust me all your worries will float away when you get put there and enjoy yourself.

As for me, hmmm can't complain, not going to a skirmish for a month or two now has got me down, but in two weeks i will be so is all good :P

'FireKnife'

Sky again.

A while ago I moaned about Sky being asshats with their coverage of the F1.

OK, so check this out.

I am using Sky Go to watch the F1 on days when the BBC don't have it.

They only let you have 2 devices registered at a time, OK that's fine.

It was on my Win 7 laptop. I have just deleted my windows partition in favor of Ubuntu GNU Linux.

Sky go requires Microsoft Silverlight, Twilight (the Linux Silverlight equivalent) isn't supported.

OK, I'll just watch ot on my Android Smart phone.

No.

There are only 6 or 7 individual phones supported and none of them will work at all if they have been rooted (WTF?).

So, my phone isn't supported and even if it was it wouldn't work because I have rooted it.

So in brief, they have ruined the F1 and their "groundbreaking" "mobile" service isn't either of those things.

But it gets worse.

You can watch it on iPhones, even iPhones that have been jail broken (iPhone equivalent of rooting).

So let me get this straight:

Support for Win 7. Support for iOS. Support for OSX.

No support for Androind, no support for Linux.

Sky hates geeks.

Well *fruitcage* you sky.

*fruitcage* you right in your ear.

Today's rant is ADHD.

It doesn't exist. Stop covering up for bad parenting.

For those who think it does, there is NO clinical evidence whatsoever to suggest it does. There are no physical symptoms, common to other personality disorders such as schizophrenia where the brains synapses do not connect properly (in simple terms anyway :P) Depression, where the brain has too much seratonin, they don't know if the receptors take in too much or you produce too much. But the physical symptom is there.

In ADHD the 'symptoms' are

Inability to concentrate on things they don't want to

Has energy

Seeks attention

I'm pretty sure these are just normal things for boisterous children to do.

Secondly, why do we have a sudden explosion in ADHD? Why didn't out parents, our grandparents, great grandparents etc have ADHD? Why is it confined almost solely to the US and UK? If ADHD is rampant in the US and UK, surely it would in every developed country?

The simple fact is, people don't like to be told they're a bad parent. Gone are the days of, admitting fault and trying harder. Now there needs to be blame, someone, anyone, anything. It's not my fault my child's a nightmare, he's got ADHD, it's videogames, TV, friends, something in the water.

If my poor old doggy went around attacking people. It's not a bad tempered dog, I'd just be a rubbish trainer. I've seen vicious pitbulls trained to be kittens by good dog trainers. Taken out without a lead into a park and not so much as barked at any other dog.

/rant

=]

If you child has ADHA, you get more money from the government (of course this is dependant on your income, circumstances).

Not that am saying, people are trying to have their children diagnosed with ADHD, to get more money.

Fish.

Well, more accurately, pet fish and the people who give out false information to sell them.

Bought some fish recently for the Fiancée, got a 60-litre tank and some sand and filters and air pumps and plants and god-knows what. Waited several days like you're told to, then got a pair of fish. One is a Black Moor (now called Bob) and the other is a silver Oranda (now called Dylan). Some internet research later (should really have done this first, but I was kinda distracted with getting engaged and whatnot - no excuse, I know) indicates that these fish EACH need a 140-litre tank minimum, or 190-litres for the pair of them, with at least 1 metre length for swimming. My tank is nowhere near that big, not even half.

Also the black moor has very poor eyesight and doesn't do well when it has to compete for food with other fish with better vision, as they see the food first and get it all. I've already noticed this behaviour with my fish, Bob will be busy doing something down near the sand at the bottom of the tank and even if flakes are sinking close to him, unless they're right under his nose he won't see them, but Dylan will see them from quite far away and come over and eat them. Leaving poor Bob with little or no food every time. Apart from this the two fish seem to get on well, they don't bite each other or anything, so that's good, but I'm worried in case Bob can't get enough to eat because Dylan sees the food first and noms it all.

Also, various websites says you should "cycle" a new tank for upto 4 weeks before putting in fish, to give the bacteria time to build up so they can process the ammonia that the fish produce, whereas I was told by the shop that 3 days was plenty of "settling" time.

It's not right that shops can get away with giving out bad information - especially when they act like they're caring for animals. Fish are just as alive as dogs or cats or rabbits and have needs and welfare issues just like them. They couldn't get away with selling rabbits or dogs to people who were going to keep them in a too-small cage or whatever, but they can with fish.

I can't take the fish back to complain (which wouldn't help the fish, but I could get a refund and there's always a chance that someone who actually has the right equipment would buy them) because the missus loves them to bits already (we've had them since Saturday) and I can't afford to buy a 200-litre tank, even if I had the space for one, so I'm not sure what I can do to fix the problems. I feel sorry for these fish who might end up living uncomfortable, unhappy and short lives because of my mistakes. :(

Stand by, I have had a *suitcase* week.

Friday. Good start to a weekend, got jiggy.

Saturday, mowed the grass, I hate mowing but it is OK as long as I get to watch the F1

Sat down to watch qualifying.

Power cut, whole street out. Called electric people and prepped my airsoft gear for Sunday, read a magazine.

Sunday, get up, power still off.

Get lift to airsoft, have a crappy day - not my kind of play, no aggression.

Get accused of cheating and having a hot weapon by somebody who could perhaps have had his own sportsmanship called into question.

Gun chronoed and is at 70% of the maximum allowed at the site.

Feel a bit miffed.

Break all my guns

Get home, power only just back on, Tivo has not been able to record the F1.

Decide to watch it on iPlayer tomorrow (Monday) due to tiredness and go to bed so I won't hear the result.

Electric guys fill in the hole in the road by harnessing the power of noise apparently, they finish at 0430.

On way into work, exhausted - my mate offers me a lift, first thing I hear on the radio is the result of the F1.

At work, get *albartroth* chewed for my students' bad maintenance and have to do it myself.

While doing service items on the truck I smash my phone to pieces.

Am told by insurance lady that rooting my phone invalidates the insurance - mental note, next time just say I lost it.

On way out of office torrential rain causes flash flood. have to scramble to get all computers up off of ground level.

Have to buy new phone, now I can't afford the computer bits I wanted to buy this month.

Totally fed up, I have now taken a week off to chill out.

Wife suggests DIY that could be done during that period.

Totally fed up, I have now taken a week off to chill out.

Wife suggests DIY that could be done during that period.

Sorry, I had to laugh at that bit... That's just typical....

Not sure how rooting your phone invalidates your insurance - or even why you mentioned it to them at all - you say you physically smashed it while working? No matter what the software was doing, smashing the phone is still the same. That's just crazy.

You could try challenging it as an Unreasonable Exclusion, but unless you know a friendly solicitor who won't mind writing you a nice letter in legalese with headed paper and sending it to the insurance company, you probably won't win.

Same happened to me, Stunt. my phone (Desire S) has a known problem with a dodgy batch of eMMC memory chips on the mainboard. they go doolally if the power is cycled while they're reading/writing.

this coupled with a pants on head retarded battery retention system means that the battery becoming *just* moved enough to cut the power leads to it dieing a catastrophic way.

sent it to HTC under warranty "no, its been rooted, warranty's void", even after much shouting that its a blummin' hardware fault. Fair enough, says I, i try and claim on my phone insurance "nope. it's still covered by manufacturers warranty, so we cant do anything", even after much shouting that its NOT covered by manufacturers warranty.

Cue phoning up my bank phone insurance. dont tell them anything, just 'its not turning on'

new phone in a week.

I didn't even tell her, she asked me if it had been rooted.

I said yes.

Doh!

Next time it will be "hello, I have lost my phone. Also my wallet that coincidentally contained exactly as much cash as the excess on my phone."

"Yes that is an odd coincidence isn't it? Also quite strange is the way I have given you thousands of pounds over the years and nothing I have actually seems to be insured."

I don't see why rooting the phone should invalidate the warranty, it is my phone, I want to be able to make it work how I want.

I want to be able to delete all the bloat ware off the damn thing.

I don't want my bandwidth used up by twitter and facebook updating when I have never used the stupid things.

If I buy a computer and install Linux the damned computer is still in warranty.

Also I found out why my primary armament isn't working. The disconnector has snapped off. I can mod the internals to work while I get a replacement but it will then be a runaway gun that dumps the whole mag every time you fire it - no drawbacks there then.

So, apparently I have been accidentally "poisoning" myself with the wrong allergra medication. Since I don't have a perscription, I've been taking the Allerga-D version instead of the regular stuff my father takes.

Monday, I go to work really agitated. Intense burning/itching sensation far up past the typical areas of the nose you would expect. Come home, try to go to bed, couldn't.

I was so messed up by the pills, that I literally could not close my eyes to sleep. I ended up not going to sleep at all till it all wore off around 9am. I would equate the experiance to being buzzed/stoned, but I don't drink or do drugs.

Went off them after that, didn't take anything tues. No reactions at all.

Wake up today with stuffy nose and my regular allergy symptoms. Walk up stairs to kitchen to get a soda, there's a note next to a prescription bottle of my dad's allegra.

"Call me TJ, you've been taking wrong allegra. Mom."

So I called her up, and apparently she consulted some doctor about me, and the lady told her that I should not be taking Allegra-D, especially every day.

So, I just took one of the regular pills, let's see what happens this time.

I don't see why rooting the phone should invalidate the warranty, it is my phone, I want to be able to make it work how I want.

I want to be able to delete all the bloat ware off the damn thing.

I don't want my bandwidth used up by twitter and facebook updating when I have never used the stupid things.

presumably because it's possible to brick your phone in the process, that and it allows you to play with the CPU clock speeds etc. after all, overclocking PC components invalidates the warranty.

I have bought a third Alien UMD and this one is the same as all the rest. It doesn't work. It loads on the PSP's main menu page, but when I click/open it to play, it freezes my PSP and the screen is black, with a small white circle, in the bottom right hand corner. I then have to take the battery off to restart.

I'm beginging to think its a manufacturing fault, or something I have done wrong (some how). All my other umd's work great (9 in total). It's driving me mad.

presumably because it's possible to brick your phone in the process, that and it allows you to play with the CPU clock speeds etc. after all, overclocking PC components invalidates the warranty.

Correct, both times.

However.

Why not have the phone insured for things that rooting doesn't lead to?

Phone bricked due to rooting - not insured.

Phone bricked due to faulty memory controller (something similar has been happening to Galaxy Notes with official ICS upgrades) - Insured.

Phone melts due to overclocking - not insured.

Rooted phone gets physically smashed - insured.

Come on, it can't be hard.

And there is still the Sky BS with Sky Go working on jailbroken iPhones but not rooted Android devices.

Anyway, I have now rooted my brand new G-Note (arrived at 0830 this morning) and installed a custom hybrid Phone/Tablet ROM.

If that breaks I know what I am going to do.

Killing spree.

Kiling spree sounds fun.

new rant: jobs. Currently looking for a new job in/around york/leeds/sheffield etc. due to the wife going to uni. No issues with that.

However, either suddenly i'm a lot less employable, or everyone seemingly has decided to NOT let you know whether or not you're being considered for a role.

As such, even though i've been applying for many many jobs, nothings forthcoming yet. Starting to brick myself as SWMBO's course starts in september, so count 4 weeks for finding a job, another 4 weeks notice at current job, plus a week between jobs to move, and suddenly, i'm out of time...

My rant. Jobs that can't be bothered to send you a rejection letter.

Lets face it, 99% of applciations are by email. It takes all of 3 seconds to hit

Dear Sir/Madam

due to the high number of applications and quality of applicants, I regret to inform you that you have been unsuccessful in this application.

Many thanks,

Job person.

That took me about 8 seconds to type. It's not that hard. And it's quite annoying to apply to jobs only to never hear back at all.

Yeah, that is probably one of the most demoralizing aspect of job hunting. It's not even the eight seconds it takes to do that. Open e-mail, ctrl+v, repeat. Then probably, "I'm sorry. You're over qualified for this role" I don't care, I need money, now ffs.

Also. Application forms. Remind me again why we spend hours working on a CV when everyone wants their own custom application form filled out that takes forever.

Archived