My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Quit and get on benefits :P

My rant, health and safety. I'm working on a National Grid site, where a new substation is being built. No knives at all are allowed. Ever. Someone WILL DIE if you have one in your tool box.

Part of my job requires I use a Stanley knife, so after talking it though with my site supervisor, health and safety lady on site, her boss, my boss, and National Grid head office, I can use one...

Providing I can supply cut resistant gloves, including data sheet showing specs, rewrite my RAMS to allow the safe use of one, have that approved by head office, bring/assemble a work bench for cutting on, barrier off the cutting area, clamp the item I'm cutting, that's fine.

So far, it's taken all morning to get this far, and the rest of my day is now written off getting gloves, bench and risk assessment/method statement re-write.

I've been doing my job for 16 years now, never once cut myself with a knife doing it, yet am treated like I'm a 4 year old running around a crowded shopping centre with a machete.

I truly can appreciate sensible measures, but sometimes things just get silly, which has just cost my company a days work for 2 men and 150 miles worth of fuel.

Edit, and I've been up since 5am to get there early for a site induction. Which the health and safety lady was 45 minutes late in starting.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah H&S, they screw with you an never have the decency to turn up on time :P

Though clearly on a power grid up here H&S doesn't exist, as when we had a slight surge they just cut all the power to the mill, all of the machines just went dead, not good at all when these things are mechanically and electrically operated and are running at something like 5000 revolutions a minute on some of them, only for them to just go dead.

Still it meant I got a day off and a lie in the next as they sorted it.

'FireKnife'

I have to meaninglessly punch in numbers for a stuttering lazy sod who can't be arsed to show up at work on time. That's one thing.

I get alarmist e-mails from some German kook claiming that the new standard will be the death of ham radio, power lines, birds an *fruitcage* knows what else. And it's not me who should get it in the first place. That's another.

I got like 50 quid on my account til the end of the month, and my fridge is almost empty. That's one more.

And RSOV can't pack my order for the third day now.

Now excuse me, I'm off to puke laser beams of death.

Remembering from my drunken birthday night out that "Never Gonna Give You Up", was removed from the jukebox after the time I rick rolled the pub. :(

The price of trying to bring internet memes into reality. :P

Damn those people, unless you can now re-wire it (digital one is easy enough) to play Never Gonna Give You Up half way through each song just to truly *rickroll* roll them. That would be win and justice, well all except for the bloke that put about £5 in the machine.

'FireKnife'

I got like 50 quid on my account til the end of the month, and my fridge is almost empty. That's one more.

And RSOV can't pack my order for the third day now.

There's your problem right there. Buying airsoft stuff and then not having food money.

Priorities dude. If your too weak and starved to move, how can you play airsoft?!!

There's your problem right there. Buying airsoft stuff and then not having food money.

Priorities dude. If your too weak and starved to move, how can you play airsoft?!!

Do I have to put up the picture of the Lidl's weekly bargains leaflet again? :P

'FireKnife'

Do I have to put up the picture of the Lidl's weekly bargains leaflet again? :P

'FireKnife'

Nah, it's cool, turned out I had to spend only 5 quid on yesterday's shopping that should last for a week.

However, I really need to get a lot of sleep and some antidepressants. Waking up at 6AM when it's n***er-*albatross* dark outside is not the happiest sight in the morning.

Well, all I needed was some ham, a pack of frozen veggies for the stir-fry, two packets of stir-fry sauce, four yogurts and a large coke. Also, prices in Poland are pretty low, ie. it's a pound for a large, 2L bottle of Coke.

A shelf stacker gets about £6.50 an hour if he is lucky. That works out at £247 a week and £988 a month, so lets say £1050 with an extra day or two to make it a month. Now times that by 12 so you get £12600.

So you get £8,100 per year tax free so that leave £4,500 to tax, of which they will lose a quarter, so £3,350 roughly, add back in the £8,100 so then that is £11,450, divide by 12 that gives a monthly salary of £954.17 a month, so say double :P

Either way it is not a good comparison.

'FireKnife'

Yes. That's a bad comparison actually, especially if you consider that a shelf stacker can get 250 quid a month here, IF he's lucky. That's somewhere near minimum wage these days, by the way.

Makes me wonder where does the tax money go, since not much is improving, but somehow there's no week without a scandal involving government money being pocketed in weird and creative ways. For example, the city hall signed 20K (100K in local money) worth of contracts they don't want to say for what, even if the regulations (and the court) say they have to. Of course, the city hall officials all claim it's someone else's problem, even the guy who was the deputy head of so-called "Anti-Corruption Bureau" (previous govt's secret police, very busy with half-assed attempts of bringing down political opponents, not really big on fighting real corruption) before he got a cushy position in the city council. And yes, he's in the opposition now, so bringing down the mayor and her party would fit the party line.

And I thought we were bad. My local council just sits in big offices, moaning and doing the same thing all other Scottish councils are doing, building bigger and nicer buildings for themselves and inviting the Queen to open a library that has been open for a year.

It does suck, it really does but clearly not as bad as others so can't complain :P

'FireKnife'

I have no issue with independence.

If the Scottish people knew what they wanted and Alex Salmon could come to a decision over exactly how it is going to work then great, but at the moment it is just a word with no political meaning here.

'FireKnife'

Does anyone else remember when Radio Shack was the most bad *albatross* shop in existence? I'm sure part of it is nostalgia for my lost childhood, but I distinctly remember wanting practically every item in that store. Now it's a sad mobile phone kiosk where I occasionally buy switches and wires that aren't quite what I need, but don't feel like driving twenty minutes to Frye's for.

Archived